logo
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
It's funny, there is a hard core group flying pattern that are making a glow comeback with the new YS motor. Most guys still fly electric however. 10S 5,000 mAh packs add up in a hurry!!!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
YS is almost as good as gas!
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by David Childress
Joined Jul 2014
94 Posts
Elec/gas?

I have a 15,(2) 20, 50, and (2)55cc gassers. I just traded a 30cc gasser 3DH Slick for a 70" 3D Hobbies electric Slick w/Neu 1515,2D,6.7/1 and 6S 5000mah. Plane is awesome for about 5 min w/ about35% left. I need more batteries. It has a 18/8 Xoar prop.. That seems a bit small for a geared. Any comments. I tried Neu & 3D Hobbiy to no avail. I have a lot of smaller electrics and back to original ?, it is just what you want.
David Childress is offline Find More Posts by David Childress
Old 07-21-2014, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Hero to the masses
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined Sep 2006
4,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It's funny, there is a hard core group flying pattern that are making a glow comeback with the new YS motor. Most guys still fly electric however. 10S 5,000 mAh packs add up in a hurry!!!
I take it these pilots are all sponsored by Cool Power?
Flyfalcons is offline Find More Posts by Flyfalcons
Old 07-21-2014, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfalcons View Post
I take it these pilots are all sponsored by Cool Power?
Pay up front or pay as you go, either way it ain't cheap!!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
The main benefit I see of having electric in any size is for those who fly at club fields with sound limiting rules. Other than that if you have a good engine I can't think of any good reasons not to use gas. Smell maybe?
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 07-28-2014, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by azcrashpro
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
I fly a 75cc plane electric in IMAC and it has plenty of power and flight time to complete the sequence. I run 14s2p battery pack and use the 20c Haiyin batteries. The 5000 6s 20c packs are only $60 each so it is not as expensive as you would think. I do have one set of 40c packs and can not tell any difference in power or performance in the plane.

Mike
azcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by azcrashpro
Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
I am curious how you connect your 6s packs to get 14s. My personal experience has shown big differences in performance with C rating, but it is very dependent on flight style, propping, and other factors in setup. I am glad it is working for you.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
Might be using one 6s and one 8s.
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 07-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Find More Posts by azcrashpro
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Nov 2010
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinaWOW View Post
I am curious how you connect your 6s packs to get 14s. My personal experience has shown big differences in performance with C rating, but it is very dependent on flight style, propping, and other factors in setup. I am glad it is working for you.
2 6s and 1 2s all in series.

Also, I only gained 500 watts going from the 20c batteries to the 40c batteries. On a 25 pound plane I didn't notice any change in performance.

Mike
azcrashpro is offline Find More Posts by azcrashpro
Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
CHARGING big battery packs.

I have seen a variety of posts about using utility power for charging these big packs. Certainly that makes sense.

However I have also seen a variety of posts about using portable generators or carrying multiple big lead acid car type batteries to drive the chargers. It occurred to me that you drive a perfectly good generator to the field in the form of your car's alternator and battery.

I understand that if you try to drive your 12V charger from the car's battery you will kill the battery pretty fast trying to charge these big packs. But why not just leave the car running? The alternator on most cars can put out 120 to 160 amps. Even at idle it should be able to handle a 50 to 70 amp draw. That is probably what the headlights and AC would pull. Even if you are pulling 50 amps to drive the charger, 600 watts, you should be fine. Quiet, clean and a lot easier than dragging around a generator or multiple big lead batteries to drive the charger.

Your thoughts?
AEAJR is offline Find More Posts by AEAJR
Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Find More Posts by jj46
IMAC is not a computer.
United States, MN
Joined Jul 2007
342 Posts
Automotive engines run rich at idle... which means burning more fuel, and more carbon deposits. I wouldn't want to let my vehicle sit there at idle for an hour while I charge up some flight packs... but that's just me. Not sure how much gas you would burn compared to a small generator, but I'm sure its a substantial difference.
jj46 is offline Find More Posts by jj46
Old 10-24-2014, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by earlwb
Grapevine, Texas USA
Joined Oct 2009
185 Posts
Well as I see it, the only things holding one back from flying bigger airplanes is how much power can the electronic speed control take and how many cells can you run in series for the motor and ESC. The RC helicopters seem to be driving it at the moment, the ESCs are rated to 12 Lipo cells at present and 160 amperes max current. So that is the limit at present. That is 50 volts at 160 amps which is around 8,000 watts, and that is getting pretty stupendous there.

But recently someone started showing a dual motor RC helicopter, so I assume they may be going dual motors, dual ESC's, which might allow for even more power then. So maybe that ups the ante even more.

I do have a couple of big motors 50cc to 85cc gas engine equivalent. But I haven't gotten around to trying them on a airplane yet. It gets expensive when you need to buy the monster ESC's to run the motors with as well as the Lipo battery packs too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
Old 10-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Team JR
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,578 Posts
When your wallet tells you.
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
When I started this discussion, what I wanted to hear and discuss were the factors that influence peopleís decisions. You can certainly put enough watts into a 40 pound plane to fly 3D with electric, but would you want to? If not, why not, and by that I mean each of you personally.

This is not an electric vs. glow vs. gas. This is a discussion about how people make decisions. I have found it very interesting and very enlightening. I have this same discussion going on several forms and despite that the forums are different and, to some extent the pilotís interests are different the overall trend has been similar in each discussion.

Interestingly, 30CC gas seems to be a common break point regardless of what people are flying. Now, what you put that 30 CC in probably varies from group to group, but that seems to be a common point were people are saying that e-power is too costly or charging is too inconvenient or something else would cause them to stop at this size or the would switch to gas.

I originally thought the line would be drawn by weight but we are talking about the engine choice, not how you fly or what planes you fly so it makes sense that you would draw the line by engine size rather than weight. For one group a 30 CC engine might go on an 9 pound plane for 3D. For another group 30 CC might be 12 pounds. But 30 CC seems to be a common break point.

Another major factor seems to be the availability of 110 power at the field. If there is 110V power at the field then there seems to be a tendency to go up in engine size because you have better charging resources. If there is no 110 at the field then the tendency is go lower in engine size. Some people feel generators are fine and others would not even consider it.

It is also interesting that most of the discussions have been measured in watts or CC for gas. Not a lot of discussion based on glow engine sizes. I would guess a 30 CC gas motor might be comparable to a 160 2 stroke glow motor or something like that, but that is not coming up. People seem to be saying, "I fly electric up to something, often 30 CC size planes, then above that I fly gas."

THAT has been the biggest surprise to me. It is electric below X then gas above X and not a lot of people talking about electric below X and glow above X. This implies that people feel electric stacks up very well against glow but that it is not a good replacement for gas above about 30 CC.

Naturally there are those who crave the scream of the engine and the smoke and the smell and all. In that case electric doesn't even get a consideration. They might fly some electric micros or even something in the .15 size in electric and then it is glow above that, but I am not getting a lot of comments about glow overall.

And there are those who will only fly electric because it is clean or quiet or reliable or that is all that is allowed at their field, or .... whatever the reason. And whatever their top motor size is, that dictates the largest plane they will fly.

In the end it is all very individual. The factors vary but the themes are quite similar across all the discussions I have running. Even the discussion on Wattflyer, an all electric forum, follows the same pattern.
I purchased an Aeroworks 150 cc Ultimate from Jason Noll that he had setup for electric.........it flew like a dream.

But....

14S battery packs (plural) plus an ESC that could handle 300 amps were required to make it that way....

Decided after a few flights that I'd rather stick with gas and ended up selling it minus the motor and ESC to someone who wanted to make it gas powered....I ended up selling the electric components separately later.

It was a blast while I had it
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill

Quick Reply