logo
Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilot_971
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Mar 2010
378 Posts
30cc for me actually its about 12lbs or bigger is going to be gas anything under 12lbs is electric
I have a 71 slick electric 6s & a 70' Velox on 6s but my 73' pilot rc yak is gas 35cc & my 74' laser is 35cc gas

sometimes gas can be a pain. in the summer I like to fly my electrics. in fall winter and spring I mostly fly gas
you put a battery in an electric plane and it starts every time. gas not always the case
rcpilot_971 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot_971
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-01-2014, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by zippi
Evansville Indiana
Joined Feb 2006
692 Posts
I few months ago I put together my first giant scale electric plane. Redwing RC 50cc Slick 540. E-flite Power 360 motor, Phoenix Edge HV F 160 ESC with cooling fan, running two Glacier 5000mAh 45c batteries in series swinging a Xoar 24X10 Beachwood prop (gas). This setup has more power than any of my gassers. The advantages are no vibration to ware out the airframe, no cleanup, no gas to buy. Disadvantages that I can see or maybe a little heavier depending on your setup, cost is slightly higher than a gas setup, shorter flight times. I am very impressed with the setup I have and plan on looking at switching to all electric.
zippi is offline Find More Posts by zippi
Old 11-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by David Childress
Joined Jul 2014
97 Posts
Why elec in summer etc?
David Childress is offline Find More Posts by David Childress
Last edited by David Childress; 11-01-2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: wasn't clear
Old 11-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by moltenmetalmixer
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Oct 2014
7 Posts
Lots of helpful info here, currently flying 60" planes all electric. In the future I will be building an old Bud Nossen cesna 310 and will be converting it to electric. Hope I don't find that it is too big.
moltenmetalmixer is offline Find More Posts by moltenmetalmixer
Old 11-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by slim jim
England
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
50cc electric for me have to say
I am almost all electric other than a Pilot 107 Sbach with a ZDZ 80 in it
I also have a Seb Sukhoi 2.6m with a Hacker 150 in it and it flys amazing but and here it is
It takes 4x6s 5000 40c packs a flight for around 6/7 min flights
I have 4 flight packs for it and no shortage of chargers so charging is not an issue its just the amount you need to have a days flying
if I take the 50cc I can have 8 flights which for most is a days flying
if I take the 6s plane I can have 16 flights
but the Sukhoi I end up taking my charging station 2x 1000w chargers and a generator so a lot to carry
gets me how people on here moan about the cost of cells I only use low to mid range packs $60 a pack (6s 5000 40c)
yet I have been flying electric now for years and if looked after they last for ever
I only ever 1c charge and always leave 20% + in them and balance charge every time
I have packs that are 12+ years old and are fine and they have had a ton of use in that time
dread to think how many gallons of fuel I would of used in that time
I always have a winter hack and the other year had a seb 140 Sukhoi with an OS160 in it
evey time I took it out I used a gallon of 10% glow fuel over here in England that's $30
yet I have the same plane with a Hacker A60 in it on 10s and been flying it for 7 years on the same 6 packs (2x5s 5000 20c ) packs
know which I chose every time Electric power way cheaper as well and at my club that is only ic 4 days a week its the only choice
slim jim is offline Find More Posts by slim jim
Old 11-17-2014, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by Flypaper 2
Kingston Ont. Can.
Joined Oct 2006
13 Posts
I've been running this Byron Christen Eagle foamy for a number of yrs with a Turnigy 63-64 motor and two 5000ma batts in series. More pulling power with the bigger slower turning prop than the Q 50 motor.

Gord
Flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by Flypaper 2
Old 11-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
I do most of my big airplane flying on remote camp-out events an hour or more from home. When I built the 50cc slab in my avi I found a good deal on a motor and decided to try electric that big just for the novelty. Since I'm remote and camping, charging was never an issue. The toy-hauler or family RV will always have a 2 or 4kW generator - "No, honey… that's not another model airplane toy/tool… it makes your coffee and will power your hair dryer each morning!"

The basic stats there are a 17 lb plane, on 12S is pulling 90-100 amperes WOT static with the 25x12 prop I've been using. 300 watts per pound is comfortable for the mild 3D I like to fly! ;-)

All that said, I gave serious thought to parting it out and selling the big thing off last summer. The more I flew it, however, it seemed to grow on me… noise, instant power, clean, novelty… all were very appealing factors. I think for day to day flying - going to the field driving the Prius - the big birds just left me feeling over-worked with all the transport, setup, breakdown, etc… That's not a function of e power, though… just big models in general. For those "travel light" trips, I've got a small fleet of 6S powered 55-65" profiles that do nicely, but then I'm always left missing the convenience of fuel & fly & repeat with a .40-1.20 size glow engine (and gas too.)

For me and my PERSONAL PREFERENCE, I don't really think there's a limit. I'm planning a 50cc, 85cc, and 150cc build over the winter, and so far, I've had reliable gas engines come available for the 50cc and 85cc projects. I'm sure the 150cc will end up as a gasser too, but that's not to rule out electric just on principle… If I found the right set of gear in a reasonable price range, I'd do an electric that big…

-Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Old 11-26-2014, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Joined Dec 2007
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippi View Post
I few months ago I put together my first giant scale electric plane. Redwing RC 50cc Slick 540. E-flite Power 360 motor, Phoenix Edge HV F 160 ESC with cooling fan, running two Glacier 5000mAh 45c batteries in series swinging a Xoar 24X10 Beachwood prop (gas). This setup has more power than any of my gassers. The advantages are no vibration to ware out the airframe, no cleanup, no gas to buy. Disadvantages that I can see or maybe a little heavier depending on your setup, cost is slightly higher than a gas setup, shorter flight times. I am very impressed with the setup I have and plan on looking at switching to all electric.
Very nice! Any video anywhere?
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old 12-25-2014, 05:48 AM
Find More Posts by sjhanc
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Aug 2014
76 Posts
I am flying this Top Flite P 51 B ARF (D converted to B) using a Rim Fire 50cc brushless motor. The batteries are 2 packs (one pack for 1 flight) of 5300mah 12s 45c for 5 minutes of flight plus 2 landing approaches. It typically uses 4000mah out of these packs. Amp draw with a Graupner 22-12 sport prop is 90 amps for level flight at an 85-90 mph high cruise or 135 amps in full throttle low passes at 110 mph and unlimited verticals. I am about to start using another pack with 12s 2p 3200 30c packs (for 24 cell 6400 mah 60c) as soon as I get the cg worked out.
I have tested other props that give faster top speeds and climb but no prop rip-spectators like the prop rip as it sounds faster. All this on a cheap motor. you can get speeds of 130 mph with AXI and Hacker brushless motors but at much greater cost. I am at the upper limit of the gross weight that the TF P 51 wing and landing gear can handle at 28 lbs. I was surprised to get a plane that out performed a DA 50R at 23 lbs. with the same prop. Full throttle rpm is 8450 with the Rim Fire 50cc motor in the air. The only advantage the DA motor has is up to 20 minute flights with a 32 oz. tank at less gross weight. After switching back and forth between the gas-electric motors several times I have decided to stick with the electric because with its Benedini Merlin sound system it is just more fun and gets a lot more attention from other pilots and spectators. Other benefits include not having to take fueling and starting equipment with me to every event. and I have just replaced the air retracts with a set of Robart electrics so now I don't need an air compressor either.
sjhanc is offline Find More Posts by sjhanc
Old 12-26-2014, 06:13 AM
Kingston Ont. Can.
Joined Oct 2006
13 Posts
Beautiful job. What's the fuselage skin made of. ??
Old 12-26-2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Aug 2014
76 Posts
Most of it is Ultracote, Brushed Aluminum on the fuse, The aft turtle deck is chrome because the Collings plane is highly polished in that area. The turtle deck and tail feathers were salvaged from my previous plane, the stab has been on 3 planes now, vertical and stab have original Chinese monocote. The wing is Ultracote silver. The belly scoop is painted Monocote and shows the wear and tear of several belly landings caused by a gas engine's ignition problems during the first 15 flights, it has since been fixed by DA but is going on a P 51 D that was built by a deceased gentleman. The New engine cowl is covered by aluminum duct tape from ACE hardware ( the cheap stuff, its thinner and easier to work). Spinner is Dave brown. it is supposed to be red but the finish from the man. is really nice so I hate to sand it and paint it. A Tony Howard exhaust kit is installed on it too (really nice, easy to build and good price). Main landing gear are now ROBART electric. Tail wheel is fixed but I have a ROBART retract unit that will be converted to electric also and installed soon. It has 50 flights on electric power and is more fun to fly electric although power management is nec. to save battery. It uses 90 amps at high cruise and I only go full throttle for a few seconds for verticals. High speed passes are spectacular, I get it as low as I am comfortable with(4-6 ft.) and accelerate full throttle for the pass. The acceleration rate is much better than gas engines (no need to dive in) and with the prop rip and Benedini sounds it almost sounds real. The motor data shows 8460 rpm (110 mph) in level flight. At 29lbs I don't dive to get speed as it is going too fast to be safe (for me any way) and it really isn't necessary. You can show off the speed by climbing as you pass the chain saw planes, then throttle back and do a long dive to the other end of the field and still stay ahead. For landing at this weight, I increased the flap travel to 53 degrees (47 is stock full scale) then make approaches at a reasonable speed at about 45% throttle. It is really easy to grease it in every time. When some one else tries to get on my tail I use a fast climbing, wide turning pattern that no one can follow. As long as every one else sticks to gas or glow I can have my cake and eat it.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Kingston Ont. Can.
Joined Oct 2006
13 Posts
Nice!! The real one should look so good.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Joined Aug 2014
76 Posts
www.youtube.com/channel/UC-JCXa8QQb6geCb36NHf_WQ If any one is interested there are several flight videos posted here.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by Fidi
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined May 2014
24 Posts
Hello,

I am flying a 88" and a 104" Extra Electric.
The 88" has a Hacker Q80-7M a 10S 5000mAh battery and a 170Amp controller it cost the same like Gas with Pipes
The 104" has a Plettenberg PRedator 30/8 evo a 14S 8000mAh battery and a 220Amp controller and its more expensive than Gas but it has much more Power 77lbs thrust or 12KW (428w per pound)
On our Airfield we have 12/24V for the chargers and 3 Solar Panels.

Friedrich
Fidi is offline Find More Posts by Fidi
Old 01-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by AEAJR
Thermal Hunter
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2008
255 Posts
Nice to have power at the field to drive your chargers.
AEAJR is offline Find More Posts by AEAJR

Quick Reply