logo
Old 06-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by rcpilotacro
Fly Hard ! Fly Low ! Fly 3D
Joined Feb 2013
157 Posts
landing has two phases (a) Approach (b) Flare out & Touch Down

Approach is generally done at 1.3 times the stall speed, since stall speed for a person on ground is relative and is ground speed it can be very misleading and obviously depends on prevailing head wind component, therefore it is best to see the attitude (Position of the nose with respect to the horizontal or horizon) at stall. on approach keep the attitude a tad shallow (It could still be nose up and for a swept back jet quite high), this shallower than stall attitude will ensure (a) You don't stall out on finals (b) have speed to flare out

Flare out and Touch Down
At about 1/2 the wing span from the ground, arrest the descend by slowly (you could do it in steps) increasing the attitude, hold it at just short off the stall attitude and see her touch on the terra firma smoothly

my 2 cents
rcpilotacro is offline Find More Posts by rcpilotacro
Last edited by rcpilotacro; 06-10-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
JR DA 215 Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,829 Posts
Set your TX for a "flight idle" and the other for "landing idle" on an unused switch. The fast or flight idle speaks for itself and the landing idle switch position is just enough to keep the engine running,,, in other words as slow as you can get it without dying. Its way easier to flick a switch than fumbling around feeling for the trim button while on landing approach.
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 06-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
I put the "Flight Idle" on the same switch as the timer.....

to the OP... to land a tail dragger with no bounce... touch on the tail wheel first....
if you do that.. the AOA will reduce as the mains drop.. reduced AOA = Less Lift = No Bounce
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Thanks Bill and Mithrandir, i like your advice.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by nlebell
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Nov 2012
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2robinhood View Post
Correct.
The way I take it, it's close to this.
A = 8
B = 10
C = 12

All I can say is it worked for me.
The Vess Stealth 32C pulls hard, has great braking, and slows down to a crawl for landing.
Only draw back is, it's loud.
DA-150 on RE's rips it bad at wide open.
Maybe a little to much prop for a 150 on mufflers.

Listen to the echo on the pull out in the beginning of the video.

Vess Stealth 32C flight 2 - YouTube
That sounds crazy awesome!!!!
nlebell is offline Find More Posts by nlebell
Old 07-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by CrazyIvan59
Flyin' Around
Joined Jul 2013
9 Posts
Wow you got a-lot of help and I agree with all but your primarl problem is that you are forcing the craft to touch down before it's done flying (land slower) OR when your craft is at 1 inch above ground try releasing just 1/4 of the elevator input that you should be holding. AKA partially release "some" elevator. that is how you do wheel landings. Just a thought but the bottom line is that you are landing too fast, slow her down, if you touch your tailwheel first it's not going to bounce up again. Hope I helped. CrazyIvan59
CrazyIvan59 is offline Find More Posts by CrazyIvan59
Old 07-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
i started the thread back in April, and as you mentioned, i got plenty of advice, and i did all and now, i would say, not trying to brag, but i am improved as compared to 4 months ago. thank you again for your comments.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by Mongrel
Happiness is LAX at V1
United States, LA, Springhill
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
It's called Ground Effect fellas

It occurs at about 1/2 the wingspan above the ground.

It is possible to temporarily fly at a slower than stall airspeed in ground effect. You full scalers might recall your soft field take off procedures.

If you are at a "flared" attitude with a little excess airspeed, this is probably why you're getting a bounce.

Landings require finess, and lots of practice. You are managing slowing airspeed, arresting sink rates, and managing power, all at the same time.

Good landings start with good approaches. Practice consistently standard approaches and in time, you will be the envy of the flying field.
Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by Mongrel
Old 03-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by fabmaster911
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Apr 2008
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBR View Post
ballooning and overshoot are never much of an issue when landings like this are perfected.
RC PLANE CRASH - F4 PHANTOM VERTICAL CRASH ! - YouTube
Thank God that those style shorts have gone out of fashion.
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Joined Dec 2007
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
i fly my planes at a club, and we take off and land on asphalt runway. the runway is running north - south.
my question:
what is the significance of an airplane, that no matter how much you try to make it just touch down, it will still bounce and lift off again?
i have decreased throw of elevators with triple rates = (landing/take off, 1= normal, 2= 3d)
this is on a 47 pound 40% 3w extra 330. never had landing gear brake, or a stress fracture of fuselage LG plate area (as this was fortified). also, the engine will idle so that the forward movement from a stop is at most 5 mph, or less.
but if it comes in against little wind, even if it is windy, she will land and do little lift off again. what can i do to prevent this, besides getting WR disc brakes.
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but if there is anyway to move the main gear axles location back relative to CG that will help a lot.

FWIW sometimes I will set models up for grass...more forward rake on the LG...

and for asphalt...more rearward.
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Most people have a tendency to hold the elevator up on roll out after touch. Try letting go of the elevator. You may be holding it up some causing it to start flying again.
4 star forty 's were the worst for this habit.
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by vmceachern
You can't fix STUPID
Texas City, Tx
Joined Dec 2008
4,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecrankshaft View Post
Not sure if anyone mentioned it but if there is anyway to move the main gear axles location back relative to CG that will help a lot.

FWIW sometimes I will set models up for grass...more forward rake on the LG...

and for asphalt...more rearward.
I was arguing this point with someone today at the field. He turned his creation into a taildragger. Now it's a tail Dragon. He can't keep her straight. Hehe!
vmceachern is offline Find More Posts by vmceachern
Old 03-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
A trick a friend suggested seems to have some merit. He suggested that most top pilot touch down with one wheel, side first, and this seems to help. Seems an inch can make a difference.
Also I like Sensi post suggesting taller tail wheel gear.
And then there programing some spoilron in for LANDING MODE.
RutnBuc
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
IMAC and 3D
USA
Joined Jun 2006
516 Posts
Interesting topic:
If the plane wont slow down on approach that can mean it's nose heavy and wants to drop the nose thus increasing airspeed even at a low throttle setting. The trick is to get the plane to stay level as the throttle is lowered. Too tail heavy and the plane will want to stall.

Normally when I see a plane that bounces on landing it means the gear (or the axle) is too far forward. When the gear is in the right place a touch should be balanced and not cause the plane to pivot much. When the gear is not in the right place the plane tends to pivot and touch down dramatically increases angle of attack causing the plane to lift off again and agian.
Flynbulldog is offline Find More Posts by Flynbulldog
Old 02-28-2015, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
The height of the flare really depends on the descent rate. A high descent rate will require a higher flare height to arrest that descent. But back to the original question and how to rid that bounce on hard surface runways. It is difficult, I battle it too even after 37 years of flying RC and also as a full scale airline pilot (luckily that rarely happens in large transport jets). But in the jets I fly as soon as we touch down our ground spoilers automatically go up causing the airplane to be forced down as the lift has been killed. I sorta do the same on my models. I program a switch on the upper left side of the TX that I can select upon touchdown that throws both my ailerons up about 30 degrees keeping the plane on the ground. I too see a lot of guys holding up elevator upon landing, but sometimes I see them balloon back up so be careful. Using the ailerons as gnd spoilers it will kill the lift and keep the plane on the ground then you can also input up elevator and it is not as likely to balloon. Also gnd spoilers slow the airplane so it is a win win. Hope this helps.
Jeff
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams

Quick Reply