Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by Sgt Walker
Fly low, Fly fast
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Mar 2015
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
Thank you all, good advice. i have done all this, i must have made 10 passes, each time, trying to slow her down more and more, also, after each pass, i would keep throttle, then decrease trim one click, and once i made it over runway, i would decrease throttle stick all the way down....still too fast.
the last two flights, i had to cut engine off, then she landed, but even then, she would balloon up. just a little, 1 foot or so.
Besides the idle being too high, you may want to check your CG, sounds like you may be too nose heavy.
Sgt Walker is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Walker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by Sgt Walker
Fly low, Fly fast
United States, UT, Layton
Joined Mar 2015
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airframe View Post
The most fun I have is side slipping a Piper cub in for landing. There is no other airplane I have flow that does it as well. Get real high over the end of the runway, chop the throttle, full rudder and opposite aileron to keep it level. Leave the elevator alone and let the nose drop to maintain airspeed. Use aileron to steer the aircraft. Use throttle to to flatten the approach or little elevator. Just before you touch blip in flull opposite rudder to straighten the aircraft. It is very cool.
I learned early to crab into a cross wind. Our field is near the mouth of a canyon and the wind is always blowing and our runway runs perp to the canyon. Many times I have had the field all to myself in 40-50 mph winds and had the time of my life. I flew once in micro burst conditions. The plane should've been smashed but I would fly rolling hills into the wind to make headway, and then use the wind to turn the small high wing into a rocket as the wind would catch the bottom of the wing and back it comes at over 100mph. Good fun. I do see many skilled pilots struggle with wind because they only fly in perfect conditions. Wind is fun.
Sgt Walker is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Walker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply