logo
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by rrembert
West Palm Beach, Fl
Joined Feb 2009
356 Posts
Re: Pilot-RC 40% Decathlon building thread

My pleasure Mike..! I have already put in for days off for the Nall..!!! Can't wait..!! Try to stay warm...
rrembert is offline Find More Posts by rrembert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-20-2010, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Brazil, RS, Marau
Joined May 2006
58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldhflyguy View Post
I have a question that is kind of related to weight .
I'm just starting to assemble my 40% Decathlon and I'm thinking/planning ahead.
Was it difficult to balance the plane at it's CG?
I.E. Where did you put your batteries, etc.? Did you have to add weight anywhere? Did you run mufflers or cans? Etc.?
Hello,
Mine balanced very well with my Torch 110 with in cowl mufflers, two A123 2s 2600 mah batteries located just in front of the door, one 4.8v 2000mah NIMH battery for ignition located just behing the fuel tank on the tank's floor. The light's system is located just in front of the rudder servo's tray and it has a Lipo 3s 2500 mah battery located on the dash panel area.
I hope it can help you.
Take care.
marcelo assis is offline Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Last edited by marcelo assis; 12-21-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Joined Dec 2008
174 Posts

Hey Bob and Marcelo,
Thanks for answering my questions about balancing the Decathlon.

Larry
ldhflyguy is offline Find More Posts by ldhflyguy
Old 12-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by ckibbee55
fly hard and fast!
United States, WA, Clarkston
Joined Dec 2010
8 Posts

sounds like a great flyin plane my dad wants to get one fore tow plane!
ckibbee55 is offline Find More Posts by ckibbee55
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by higharc
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts

Hi Guys, How did you attach your engine box cover plate? If I epoxy and screw it down, I lose access to whatevers directly behind the firewall. Make some openings in the cover plate!!
higharc is offline Find More Posts by higharc
Old 01-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by higharc View Post
Hi Guys, How did you attach your engine box cover plate? If I epoxy and screw it down, I lose access to whatevers directly behind the firewall. Make some openings in the cover plate!!

screwed into place .........................................
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 01-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts

Thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Joined Dec 2008
174 Posts

Quote:
F.W.I.W.
I also plan to only screw down the top cover. I'll add some 3/8" square pine along side the vertical sides of the motor box for the screws to go into.

Also, I'm mounting all my batteries in front of the fuel tank, just in case the plane would have come out tail heavy with the batteries mounted the intended way.

Also, I created a removable plywood tray with my smoke tank, pump, and battery to be located in the cannister tunnel. There is a lot of good space down there, if you don't run cans!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Sponsor of My Sons
Sea Level in the SunShine!
Joined Aug 2008
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying skunks View Post
screwed into place .........................................

All of my giants are done this way! #4 screws 1/2" long.
KnowCrashes is offline Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts

After picturing fully stretching out my arms and trying to balance this thing with two fingers, I decided to go another way. I added two ¼” aluminum pins and two hardwood blocks for reinforcement to aide me when it’s time to balance out. With a couple of holes in the wing roots, I can now safetly hang the plane at it’s CG.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by rrembert
West Palm Beach, Fl
Joined Feb 2009
356 Posts

Quote:
F.W.I.W.
I also plan to only screw down the top cover. I'll add some 3/8" square pine along side the vertical sides of the motor box for the screws to go into.

Also, I'm mounting all my batteries in front of the fuel tank, just in case the plane would have come out tail heavy with the batteries mounted the intended way.

Also, I created a removable plywood tray with my smoke tank, pump, and battery to be located in the cannister tunnel. There is a lot of good space down there, if you don't run cans!
Mine balanced perfectly with the batteries velcroed into the last two slots of the tunnel right behind the tank. Note: I'm running a DA120 with cans...wish I had the space in the tunnel for the smoke system, but the CG remains fine with it in the cabin...
rrembert is offline Find More Posts by rrembert
Old 01-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Dec 2008
174 Posts

Quote:
After picturing fully stretching out my arms and trying to balance this thing with two fingers, I decided to go another way. I added two ¼” aluminum pins and two hardwood blocks for reinforcement to aide me when it’s time to balance out. With a couple of holes in the wing roots, I can now safetly hang the plane at it’s CG.

Brilliant!
So you will tie a substantial string around each aluminum pin between the wing root and fuselage?? And, fasten the string to something that can support the plane off the floor.

I would have used two 1" dowel rods inserted into a 2x10 board. The board sits on the floor and the holes in the board will be spaced a little further than the fuselage width at the point of balance. The dowels are rounded and the wing area where the dowel will be positioned (CG) will be protected by a flexible sheet of plywood taped into position.

I like your idea better. It seems like a simpler way to get the job done.

Wait!!!! You've given me another idea:
How about drilling the two holes as you have done? Then insert a single length of aluminum tube (or maybe a steel piano wire) across the inside of the fuselage reaching from hole to hole. The tube/wire will only be there for the balancing procedure. I may try that.

Thanks for sharing
Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2008
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrembert View Post
Mine balanced perfectly with the batteries velcroed into the last two slots of the tunnel right behind the tank. Note: I'm running a DA120 with cans...wish I had the space in the tunnel for the smoke system, but the CG remains fine with it in the cabin...

And, I wish I had the 120 with cans.

Economics told me I have to use an old 3W100 and regular muffs. They are left over from a mistake a made this past summer. I'm kinda hoping my plane turns out a little under powered. That will give me the excuse I need to get a DA 120 later this year when I have some more $$$.

I'm also looking for an excuse to get the 47% Decathlon for next year.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Find More Posts by S Mullis
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts

Well after reading this thread I am gonna order my 40% decathlon in march.Just waiting for the right color to come in. What I need to know is what is the header drop needed for this plane?I will be running canisters. I also have a new DLE-111 I bought me for a X-Mas gift ready for this bird. Thanks pilots, S Mullis
S Mullis is offline Find More Posts by S Mullis
Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Joined Jul 2008
32 Posts

Quote:
Brilliant!
So you will tie a substantial string around each aluminum pin between the wing root and fuselage?? And, fasten the string to something that can support the plane off the floor.

I would have used two 1" dowel rods inserted into a 2x10 board. The board sits on the floor and the holes in the board will be spaced a little further than the fuselage width at the point of balance. The dowels are rounded and the wing area where the dowel will be positioned (CG) will be protected by a flexible sheet of plywood taped into position.

I like your idea better. It seems like a simpler way to get the job done.

Wait!!!! You've given me another idea:
How about drilling the two holes as you have done? Then insert a single length of aluminum tube (or maybe a steel piano wire) across the inside of the fuselage reaching from hole to hole. The tube/wire will only be there for the balancing procedure. I may try that.

Thanks for sharing
I can hang my plane in my garage from beams that support overhead shelving with wire, catgut, or anything that can support the weight, hang just high enough off the floor to adjust if necessary.

It's also not a bad idea to brush a coat of alcohol thinned epoxy onto the exterior and interior of the motor box. When dry permanently mount of engine.

Quick Reply