logo
Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
They change and site are usually associated with a club. Plus we have no clue what concession AMA is going to obtain relative to altitude. Lots of questions.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-01-2019, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
881 Posts
I understand the logic in what the FAA is doing. I'm not here to make waves and its my
opinion that we can get some good things done with threads like this that update and generally
inform the interested masses. I get why drones and full scale are usually better off apart.
I just think there is a better way to create safety for all...….in reality, I may not be wrong
to assume that full scale aircraft have caused the vast lion's share of injury and death to humans
and a simpler way to keep our hobby in tact as we know it is for full scale aircraft to be required
to avoid CBOs as a rule with real penalties for violators. as it is now, notams often go un-noticed and
modelers often take the heat when full scale pilots violate them. CBOs should be regarded as holy
ground just as any other bridge, building, hillside or tower is avoided.
and renegade or commercial drone pilots should be dealing with the 8 step process.

Entertain the idea that full scale planes flying over our heads isn't so safe for us either.
As so many have said before me....."We ain't the problem" ….and I am hopeful by what I'm
reading here on this thread that through civil discourse we can work with the kind folks at the FAA/AMA and work out a very livable strategy. Thanks Judge for sharing as you have.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 07-01-2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Unless you managed to get a TFR for something like Joe Nall they'll never restrict full-scale from flying near RC sites. It'll likely be an inform and advise kind of thing, like it is now.

Here's a screenshot of a notam for around here and then a screenshot of a sectional chart used for VFR navigation. The glider symbol with the UA next to it denotes a lot of UAS activity.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Last edited by jack01; 07-01-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
107 Posts
Stop being SHEEP
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 07-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
881 Posts
Hmmf…..often times its the wolf that gets blown away.....the meek shall inherit
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 07-02-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
I need some advice. I have followed the threads relating to the new rules, and I am still some what confused. Our club officers have the mentality of they are unaware of new rules and they think the AMA said do nothing but continue as normal. Our field is not on the UASFM map or LAANC. I gave the officers all the info and links to get our field registered before the first deadline and nothing happened. I have been empowered to take over this task and I am trying to educate the idiots at our field so I do not loose my place to fly. Our field is located 4.07 miles from KDTO a tower controlled airport. In 2005 a control tower opened our club contacted the manager and he said he knew where we are located and said keep doing what your doing you don't interfere with us, and basically don't come to the airport and bother them or call for permission to fly. My main questions are do I contact the tower and airport manager to get the standard LOA and fill out the form with the AMA to get our field on the "map" and recognized as a fixed site? That is what I think should be done at this time, am I correct. Thanks for your help in advance.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 07-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I need some advice. I have followed the threads relating to the new rules, and I am still some what confused. Our club officers have the mentality of they are unaware of new rules and they think the AMA said do nothing but continue as normal. Our field is not on the UASFM map or LAANC. I gave the officers all the info and links to get our field registered before the first deadline and nothing happened. I have been empowered to take over this task and I am trying to educate the idiots at our field so I do not loose my place to fly. Our field is located 4.07 miles from KDTO a tower controlled airport. In 2005 a control tower opened our club contacted the manager and he said he knew where we are located and said keep doing what your doing you don't interfere with us, and basically don't come to the airport and bother them or call for permission to fly. My main questions are do I contact the tower and airport manager to get the standard LOA and fill out the form with the AMA to get our field on the "map" and recognized as a fixed site? That is what I think should be done at this time, am I correct. Thanks for your help in advance.

Is your field in/under controlled airspace?
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 07-17-2019, 02:11 PM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
829 Posts
If your field isn't under one of the red squares, then you don't have to have a MOA. If it is, and it hasn't been recognized, you shouldn't be flying there until you can get approval under LAANC (hopefully next week), or you have to follow the procedure under paragraph 5 here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/ to get included.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
If your field isn't under one of the red squares, then you don't have to have a MOA. If it is, and it hasn't been recognized, you shouldn't be flying there until you can get approval under LAANC (hopefully next week), or you have to follow the procedure under paragraph 5 here: https://www.faa.gov/uas/recreational_fliers/ to get included.
Yes field is under class D airspace and no we do not have a blue dot on the map and field has not been registered. So I guess its currently illegal to fly at our field.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Quote:
First, your club should have completed the AMA/FAA questionnaire by June 16th.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-june-16-2019/

Regardless, I would contact AMA ASAP to get the ball rolling. There were a fair number of fields that were not properly recognized on the UASFM maps.

Any contact will be a FAA contact, the airport manager is now out of this loop.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
I appreciate the help, I gave our club officers email links, printed handouts and they did nothing. I will contact the AMA tomorrow, I have all the info to get this done.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:38 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts
Sounds like you need some new officers.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 07-18-2019, 02:26 PM
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack01 View Post
Sounds like you need some new officers.
Our club membership has been shrinking for the last few years, most of the people flying at our field are not club members ( Field is in a City park membership not required, but the club has to do all maintenance and mowing and the free loaders know it) I just end up doing most everything that gets done, but someone has to do it.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Our club membership has been shrinking for the last few years, most of the people flying at our field are not club members ( Field is in a City park membership not required, but the club has to do all maintenance and mowing and the free loaders know it) I just end up doing most everything that gets done, but someone has to do it.
Sounds familiar.......I feel for ya.......please don't think you are alone......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 10-07-2019, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
7,937 Posts
So yuh'all saw the last email from AMA?...
Prolly NO FLYING OVER 400 feet every where all the time for every body....

I PLAN TO FREQUENTLY AND RECURRINGLY VIOLATE THIS REGULATION!!
F' THE FAA
I will NEVER do something that endangers humans lives... that is Rule #1....
but for DECADES we as RC modelers have flown with 1000 to 1500 foot ceilings and been safe and responsible....

I SHALL NOT COMPLY!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir

Quick Reply