logo
Old 09-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Dfrye
United States, IA, Waukee
Joined Oct 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
50cc Electric radio setup?

So I’m building a 50cc Ultimate Bipe and am acquiring the pieces and have hit my first “I don’t know” moment.

So I currently have a 50cc Edge and for a radio I use Spektrum Power safe receiver hooked up to a Aura 8 and running to small Lipos and HV Savoxx Servo’s

However on my electric setup I have a 50cc Rimfire and a 150 AeroStar Opto Esc I am going to use and I realized that I’m going to run 2 5000mah 5s Lipos and don’t want to run additional batteries for the radio and I guess I’m not sure how that works, do i not use a Powersafe receiver and get non-hv Servos and run a BEC? In all my smaller electrics that’s what I do but this will be the first giant scale electric. Originally I was planning using the spektrum flight controller instead of a Aura this time but now I’m lost
Dfrye is offline Find More Posts by Dfrye
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by tinker777
United States, NJ, Island Heights
Joined Apr 2018
126 Posts
the weight on that is going to be high, for the rec and servoes use a 2 cell life 2# 4000 should be good
tinker777 is offline Find More Posts by tinker777
Old 09-27-2019, 08:45 PM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2015
768 Posts
If you're using an aura just purchase a Booma battery redundant pin flag switch and power the Aura directly with that. Power Safe in this situation doesn't do much for you. Lots of jumper wires to get sufficient power to the aura. Use Spektrum's new 8 channel telemetry receiver and run the srxl out to the aura for coms. Run throttle from the receiver and best to power your radio with Life or Lipo depending on your servos. You can run a bec but breaking down 10s your going to have to spend some bucks for a good one.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Old 09-28-2019, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by Luke352
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrye View Post
So I’m building a 50cc Ultimate Bipe and am acquiring the pieces and have hit my first “I don’t know” moment.

So I currently have a 50cc Edge and for a radio I use Spektrum Power safe receiver hooked up to a Aura 8 and running to small Lipos and HV Savoxx Servo’s

However on my electric setup I have a 50cc Rimfire and a 150 AeroStar Opto Esc I am going to use and I realized that I’m going to run 2 5000mah 5s Lipos and don’t want to run additional batteries for the radio and I guess I’m not sure how that works, do i not use a Powersafe receiver and get non-hv Servos and run a BEC? In all my smaller electrics that’s what I do but this will be the first giant scale electric. Originally I was planning using the spektrum flight controller instead of a Aura this time but now I’m lost
I think you're going to need larger batteries. You're saying you want to run a 10s 5000mah setup. I have the same battery setup in an EF 78" extra and a 60" Model 12 which are 30-40cc models with a similar kv Motrofly motor spinning a 20" prop. I run a 5:30-6min timer, in a 50cc model you are probably going to be talking about a 4:30min timer especially since I assume you'll want to spin a 22-24" prop. You'd probably need 7000mah packs for decent flight time.
Luke352 is offline Find More Posts by Luke352
Last edited by Luke352; 09-28-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by lrb75
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
You could run a castle bec straight off the 10s pack. And you can set the output voltage to be 7.4 and run hv servos if you want. Or just use a separate rx pack. 50cc the seperate pack isnt alot of weight.
lrb75 is offline Find More Posts by lrb75
Old 10-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfrye View Post

I've been running giant scale electric powered planes now for 6 years and I'm also committed to Speky so I have a few suggestions.

My first 50cc had the Powersafe 9 with three satellites and two 2S 2100mAh batts and that setup weighed 267g or 9.4 ounces.

I also have 76g 2S 1300mAh batts and since they are cheap and since I can easily charge then with paralle ports, I bough a dozen and swapped them out with each 5.5 minute flight. 7.5 ounces.

When I first tried an Aura 8, I switched to an AR8010T and used the SRXL port to get 5 independent servo channels for my SV-1270 Savox servos without needing a Y-harness.

The AR8010T is only 23g with one satellite and I powered the Rx and servos with an external 65g BEC with a 40g Ultra Guard sensoring power backup with a 430mAh capacity.... 4.5 ounces.

The suggestion of the Castle BEC Pro is a good one since they are reliable, inexpensive and light. 40g and $40. But I'd still use as backup like the U-Guard or the one Scorpion makes, with any BEC, internal or external.

So the 12S capable Castle BEC Pro off the main 10S pack with an AR8010T and the U-Guard backup is only 3.63 ounces.

It's a 20A BEC but all five SV-1270 servos at full stall is about 25A so it should be fine.

10S at 230Kv with something like a 24x10 PJN could be a short flight unless your personal power average is 35% at which point you should be about 5.4 minutes to 20% capacity.

Try flying normally for 3 minutes and recharge your batteries. If you put back 2320mAh into each 6S 5Ah battery, then you're at 35%. If you have telemetry, you'll be notified.

You can also come by the Power Systems for Extreme Flight Fanatics thread where at least a half dozen guys will share their setups with you as well.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin

Quick Reply