logo
Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by tech1wi
United States, WI, Ashland
Joined Oct 2019
5 Posts
Discussion
30/ 35cc aerobatic plane

Im looking to getting my first gas plane. Ive had nothing but glow in the past. 60 to 120 size. Something for a dle35ra or da35.
Was looking at Skyline sbach, i know you get what you pay for, but anyone have any experience with them.? Any other recomendations
would be appreciated. Since its my first gasser, i would like a kit with decent instructions, and Skyline instructions are lacking.
tech1wi is offline Find More Posts by tech1wi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2019, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Joined Mar 2010
4,051 Posts
Hi, without commenting on the quality of any of the mfrs, the instructions really aren't all that important. reason why is that regardless of mfr, these planes pretty much build the same. same hardware, same servo installation, etc. if you have questions, that's where the many minds here on FG can help. there are many good choices and it really comes to down to budget and which one you like to look at. 35s are good for the 70" to 78" wingspan.

some buying considerations - does the mfr has spare parts, does the mfr use a known and replaceable covering (ultracote/oracover), what size are the servo cutouts, and what do you get beside the airframe, (spinner, fuel tank, wing bags?).
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 10-05-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by Raven1978
Fly low, wheels up !
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Sep 2015
85 Posts
Pilot 330sc. Have mine on 12s 5500 and its an animal. Dont even need instructions for it, its that simple of a build.
Raven1978 is offline Find More Posts by Raven1978
Old 10-06-2019, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,724 Posts
This is well built and well designed and a blast to fly
https://www.redwingrc.com/30cc-Edge.html
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 10-06-2019, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,671 Posts
While I own and have flown several Skyline (and Goldwing) planes, I've been building long enough where the instruction CD might get a glance, or it might not. Their directions are so generic, and often so inaccurate (especially when it comes to their CG's) they are pretty much a waste of time.

The planes themselves though, are pretty good buys on a bucks spent for bang received basis, and compete fairly well when it comes to all up weights. The 35cc Skyline Edge for instance, can be built at just over 10 lbs (when they are available), making them one of the lightest in that class.

Noteworthy maybe, for acrobatics or sport flying at it's best, shy of full on 3D , and offering better instructions and replacement parts, might be something like several of the the Hangar 9 planes (the Ultra Stick or the new Tiger 30 for instance). Tower Hobbies has some pretty good pricing an their Phoenix line of planes too. There's a 65" Edge available for 206.00 for instance.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 10-06-2019, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by TBeghtol
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2016
29 Posts
Same decisions for me a few weeks ago...

I ended up ordering the PAU Extra 300SP and DA 35.

https://flypau.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=91

One of our best pilots at local field loves his 40% PAU Extra and I trust his opinion.

I received it the other day it was extremely well packed. Covering looked great and all hardware including fuel tank was perfect.

Looking forward to flying it soon.
TBeghtol is offline Find More Posts by TBeghtol
Old 10-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by Cycletech
CycleTech
United States, CT, Greenwich
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeghtol View Post
Same decisions for me a few weeks ago...

I ended up ordering the PAU Extra 300SP and DA 35.

https://flypau.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=91

One of our best pilots at local field loves his 40% PAU Extra and I trust his opinion.

I received it the other day it was extremely well packed. Covering looked great and all hardware including fuel tank was perfect.

Looking forward to flying it soon.
I have that exact plane and engine combo. Its a fantastic flying plane and you will love it. I have a Demon Gyro in it so when its windy it still flies like a 105". Low rates and you can practice IMAC. Switch to high and Rock and Roll time!
Cycletech is offline Find More Posts by Cycletech
Old 10-12-2019, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
40 Posts
I have owned several different brands over the years. My favorite and the one that has had zero issues with all the stock hardware and fly's incredible is the AJ Laser 35cc. I have a DA35 powering it and have put a huge amount of flights on it over the last 2 years with zero issues. The only thing I changed will building it was to install 3" Sullivan skylite wheels due to my grass runway.
http://www.aj-aircraft.com/73-Laser-230z.html
Dennis P is offline Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 10-20-2019, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Landrovered
United States, GA, Madison
Joined Jul 2017
7 Posts
I had a 30cc skyLine Sbach which was a very nice flying plane, not very durable but a good flyer. It suffered from a few hardish landings and had to be retired. Replacement fuselages are non existent. Parts other than landing gear are Just not available. I couldn’t even buy a replacement ARF in the same color as my other plane. Ended up buying an MX2 which is almost identical to the Sbach and transferring everything over after a crosswind cartwheel tore the motor box off the other one. Next time I’m going to go with a pilot rc or extreme ARF and spend the extra coin instead of buying what is essentially a one off since the stock runs out quickly on the super cheapies.
Landrovered is offline Find More Posts by Landrovered
Old 10-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by scooby61
No Balsa Withstands my Wrath
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Jan 2009
160 Posts
My 3d hobby shop 75" edge is fantastic plane. I run it 12s electric but it can be built either way. Well worth the little extra coin.
scooby61 is offline Find More Posts by scooby61
Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
584 Posts
I own 4 Pilots, 3 of which are 330sc including a 20, 35, and 55cc along with a 100cc Edge. Great planes and the 35 flies just like the 55! I own one older Redwing 330sc in 30cc. Horrible plane as it's overweight and fights elevator input with attempts to snap roll at throws over 8-9. A fella at a flyin last weekend confirmed this on 3-4 of their planes so I felt less like it was just me. And you can't go wrong with 3dhs/ Extreme Flight. Skywing is rising in popularity. Based on my 120cc AJ Ars300 I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of his others.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,787 Posts
I can't fault my EF Laser. One of the best quality ARFs I have ever owned. It flies with a feel much larger than it is. All the ARFs in this category are similarly priced so pick one and enjoy.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-24-2019, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,927 Posts
I will throw in a vote for the new AJ Raven. Electric or Gas, it flies amazing and has an edge style wing for better stability and learning 3D.

A note about the instruction manuals. Gas aircraft are built pretty much all the same (roughly speaking) and all build roughly the same way. Aside from gluing in control horns, and maybe some other small misc. components, there isn't much else that needs to be done other than drilling holes for your servos and engine, and bolting everything else in place. Some need to be hinged, others come pre-hinged (I like AJ aircraft for this reason, they are pre-hinged).

If you can operate a drill, a screwdriver, and a wrench and socket set, then you already have 90% of the knowledge needed to assemble mostly any ARF gas airplane these days. The other 10% is just cutting the cowl with a dremel/sanding drums, and being able to mix up and apply 2 part epoxy.

YouTube has a lot of videos on assembling airplanes, and guys like Terry Wiles (terryscustom on here and YouTube) have made a LOT of videos showing you some really neat tips and tricks to help build your airplane cleaner, stronger, and more refined.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Terryscustom
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..

Quick Reply