Old 10-07-2019, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You misunderstand my position. AMA has been in a state of denial for some time. They keep telling us that "they are working closely with the FAA" in order to placate their membership. I have long thought this was nonsense.

Congress wrote a law (Section 349). It was signed into law. nd now the FAA is finishing implementation. AMA has been completely ineffective, which is no surprise at all.

Like it or not without the AMA we would have been completely grounded years ago. Only reason we even get noticed is because we show up in numbers. If you're not one of those numbers helping the cause than as far as I'm concerned your part of the problem
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksHangar View Post
Wrong!
Exactly I can promise up we bust 12-1500 feet if not more regularly at our field especially the imac guys
dusturbd is offline Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbobp View Post
Told my wife about this. She asked, "How are they going to know how high you're flying?"

Smart woman there!

Yeah that is what said tooo.... i mean the police already takes all guns from criminals cause they know where they all live ..... Oh no.. that's not true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Remote ID is coming. Plus FAA knows that current technology exists to know your altitude.

The real question is if the AMA will continue to sanction soaring, IMAC, pattern, and jet events knowing full well those all routinely fly above 400 .

So there going to Require us all to have on board GPS on all aircraft? I don't know how they ever could regulate anything like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
400’ is pretty far up there. Most probably never fly above 250-300’ anyway. No biggie.
As said in the other post... that isn't correct its a lot lower then you think.

as someone who flys a glider pilot often i can be sure i have been to 600-700 feet easy often.

400 foot with a 60 inch plane is nothing.
this is a Big plane site. with a 104" plane 400 is nothing at all.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 10-07-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Scott, keep in mind the entire reason we as modelers are under fire is because we failed to enact the last time something like this came up. The AMA has pooled as much effort as they possibly could have to fight the government in manners that most of us can't possibly understand, but now the time has come for us to speak up. A single entity cannot speak for their entire masses when the masses have the stronger voice. If you truly care about this hobby then you need to speak up and let your voice be heard. You need to tell them that you do not agree with this blanket altitude restriction and that you want more reasonable laws in place that don't offer restrictions that hurt aspects of the hobby, regardless of whether or not you participate in them. It is absolutely in your best interest to speak up. It takes less than a minute to do.
I agree with you. I should have thought more about my post. I know the AMA has our best interest in mind. I sent the notice to my representatives. I had my wife send one as well.

Scott
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 10-07-2019, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
Like it or not without the AMA we would have been completely grounded years ago. Only reason we even get noticed is because we show up in numbers. If you're not one of those numbers helping the cause than as far as I'm concerned your part of the problem
Harsh. I have sent in a reply to every single request by the AMA during this ordeal, including this one. However, that does not mean I, or anyone else, has no right to see where AMA has not met the expectations they have set for themselves. Just recognizing reality.

The reality is that Congress has written a law and the FAA is implementing it. We had lost the game the day this law was signed.

Our only chance right now is to influence Congress to change that law, which they will probably not do until the next FAA reauthorization act.

Fact is we need to open our eyes and recognize the new reality, no matter how distasteful and idiotic it is.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,455 Posts
To those who say 400 ft is enough:

You're wrong.

I've flown over a RC field at 1000 agl and have seen .40 sized glow planes doing a hammerhead at my altitude. 400 ft isn't squat. 1,200 isn't good but is survivable.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post

So there going to Require us all to have on board GPS on all aircraft? I don't know how they ever could regulate anything like that...

Nobody knows what the remote ID rule will look like. FAA is way behind in getting it published. And it will need to go through the NPRM process since it is a new rule.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:05 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
472 Posts
To those that believe they know how high 400 feet is
I recommend marking it off on the ground and see just how short 400 feet is
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post
To those that believe they know how high 400 feet is
I recommend marking it off on the ground and see just how short 400 feet is
Or put an altitude sensor in your plane. Most of the modern radios have altitude telemetry.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
988 Posts
I have said it before, get a laser range finder (I have a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000) Check your actual flying heights, most of you will find out you stay below 400 ft more than you think. Its just like the Texas deer hunters brag they shot the deer by that tree 575 yards away. I check it with laser and its 147 yards the longest shot of there life. I shoot precision long range and F-class competitions out to 1200 yards, trust me that is a fer distance just like Jed Clampitt said.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 10-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Smiley
Canada, AB, Medicine Hat
Joined Jan 2006
455 Posts
You guys need to relax a little. We've had the 400' rule up here (Canada) for a while now. You know what it has done to our flying styles and competitions?
Absolutely Nothing.

You know how many enforcement officers have been reported checking altitudes at sanctioned fields?
Zero
Shawnlh is offline Find More Posts by Shawnlh
Old 10-07-2019, 11:44 PM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
Sent my letter tonight. I’d Like to pay a visit to the DC office of the FAA. I’m more of a face to face kinda person.
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,927 Posts
^There are a number that are active modelers themselves. Maybe not at the DC office, but they do exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
You guys need to relax a little. We've had the 400' rule up here (Canada) for a while now. You know what it has done to our flying styles and competitions?
Absolutely Nothing.

You know how many enforcement officers have been reported checking altitudes at sanctioned fields?
Zero
That's not the point. The point is voicing your disapproval of the government attempting to regulate the hobby. By the way, there have been a number of reported incidents here in the US of officials checking for compliance at a number of fields. The reality is that if this law is enacted, they will attempt to make examples of people.

Never thought I would live in a day and age where government tries to throw people in jail for flying a toy airplane
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 10-08-2019, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,435 Posts
First, violating an FAA regulation is not a criminal action. FAA does not put people in jail, they fine them.

Second, none of Section 349 is a regulation onto itself. They are simply 8 conditions that must met in order to be exempted from Part 107. If you fail to meet those 8 conditions AND do something to bring attention to yourself by way of an incident or accident then the FAA may cite you for violating Part 107. And those fines could add up in a hurry.

But nobody is going to jail because the FAA regulations are not criminal statutes.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:10 AM
Find More Posts by A.Delaney
United States, IL, Streator
Joined May 2018
94 Posts
But if you refuse to pay the fines........
A.Delaney is offline Find More Posts by A.Delaney

Quick Reply