logo
Old 10-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by erospawn
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Jul 2016
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by why_fly_high View Post
You are completely correct. Here is the thing. The FAA doesn't really care. Drones, UAS, etc have already created more work for them than they wanted. Having different rules for different places and different types of rc flying is more work. It is easier to group them all together and give them all the same rules AND they can do it in the name of safety. 99% of the country doesn't care and will just think 400ft is enough for toy planes and they will feel safer knowing the FAA is helping keeping them safe.
You're right.. The FAA has niether the budget, resources, man power nor time to manage a bunch of model airplane fliers.. They are not the almighty power that rules with an iron fist as some would like to spin it.. The LOA process and keeping up with all these clubs is too much for them...So they think it's easier to just use a broad brush... May be they'll get away with it...may be they won't.. But coming after us without data to prove conclusively that we are threat is going to be very problematic for them. They are barking up the wrong tree as it were.
erospawn is offline Find More Posts by erospawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-08-2019, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
You dont even need a gyro. Futaba, Spektrum and JR all have add on telemetry sensors that can do this for <$50 and read out the altitude on your transmitter.

600+ is possible just in a big simple loop on a 30-50cc bird (small by FG standards). A hard vertical into a hammerhead of KE spin would go higher. Heck I have even broke 1000 with my helicopters.

And the sailplane guys sometimes go over 2000....
What Device can i use with Spek for altitude? I really want something for my glider but don't have much room on the inside might have to mount it to the top of the wing witch would be okay.
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 10-08-2019, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
This is why I keep saying that unless you are involved in an incident or accident or somehow otherwise bring attention to yourself, the chances of being noticed by the FAA is very small.

OTOH, enforcement does not need to come solely from the FAA. Will AMA continue to issue contest sanctions? Will clubs adopt the FAA limits into their rules? Will landlords require following FAA rules?

Many clubs are now requiring proof of FAA registration to join/renew. How many will require the same of having passed the test? Will CD's enforce registration and testing proof? Will CDs ignore the FAA?

Lots of ways for this to impact us negatively beyond Mr. FAA showing up at the field, which I agree is a low probability event.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
What Device can i use with Spek for altitude? I really want something for my glider but don't have much room on the inside might have to mount it to the top of the wing witch would be okay.
This:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMA9575

Took 30 seconds to locate.

Futaba and JR along with others have similar sensors. I've used the Futaba sensor in gliders, no issue. I know Spektrum pilots who use the Spektrum sensor in their gliders.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
This:

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...rodID=SPMA9575

Took 30 seconds to locate.

Futaba and JR along with others have similar sensors. I've used the Futaba sensor in gliders, no issue. I know Spektrum pilots who use the Spektrum sensor in their gliders.
Thanks, but for that to work you have to have a TM1000 or into a Telemetry rx it doesnt work with a reg rx
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Thanks, but for that to work you have to have a TM1000 or into a Telemetry rx it doesnt work with a reg rx

And I promise you the error on that board is +/- 100ft.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 10-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
No idea. Futaba has a full line of telemetry capable receivers and that is all I know for sure.

But take gliders. I fly mostly F5J now. We have a small sensor that records the altitude of motor cut off (used in scoring). 150 meters (492 feet) is not uncommon and i have seen 200+ meters fairly often depending on conditions. We usually go up from there. Bottom line, most gliders will launch to above 400 feet and usually go up from there. Even DLG guys are getting to 200+ feet on launch now.

Perhaps not all radio manufacturers have sensors for all RXs, but the technology is still available for a lot of people.
Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 [email protected] a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post

Will AMA continue to issue contest sanctions? Will clubs adopt the FAA limits into their rules? Will landlords require following FAA rules?

Many clubs are now requiring proof of FAA registration to join/renew. How many will require the same of having passed the test? Will CD's enforce registration and testing proof? Will CDs ignore the FAA?

Lots of ways for this to impact us negatively beyond Mr. FAA showing up at the field, which I agree is a low probability event.
I'm not really worried about the 400' thing here in the Wild West, but this part Judge notes are what I'm kinda worried about. For clubs to have an AMA sanctioned event, insurance to be valid, etc, they're going to have to adhere to the FAA rules...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 10-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Find More Posts by jln1320
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Feb 2015
92 Posts
I have altitude read out in my Spektrum gear and audio set at 400 ft AGL and you would be surprised how low 400' really is. Can you fly bellow? Yes, but it sucks!!
This law is no different than the speed limit in our road ways. The problem is that most exceed these limits all the time and usually, nothing happens!
The problem with this 400' law is that it makes us be : OUTLAWS!! whether we get caught or not!
jln1320 is offline Find More Posts by jln1320
Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertrat View Post
And I promise you the error on that board is +/- 100ft.

Even if the error band is +/- 100... I have seen 800- 1000ft readings on mine... flying my HELICOPTER. I go higher with the GS planes.

So even if its high I am still way out of compliance.. on a regular basis.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 10-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post
So you are not going to get a smart phone?
The last thing I read is that this is about remote ID for your airplane so the FAA knows when and where you power it up and what your altitude is that has zero to do with a cell phone so keep up with the conversation
dusturbd is online now Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 10-08-2019, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnlh View Post
You guys need to relax a little. We've had the 400' rule up here (Canada) for a while now. You know what it has done to our flying styles and competitions?
Absolutely Nothing.

You know how many enforcement officers have been reported checking altitudes at sanctioned fields?
Zero
The difference is up here as long as you are at a MAAC sanctioned flying field, the 400' rule is exempt along with other stipulations.
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 10-08-2019, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by Cycletech
CycleTech
United States, CT, Greenwich
Joined Jun 2019
145 Posts
They are going to have to put out A TON of money trying to build infrastructure and enforcement just to stop people from flying harmless RC planes under 400ft!! Also just so those greedy POS companies can LAY off drivers for deliveries of packages!! Maybe we should contact the big shipping companies and get them on board considering they too are going to get screwed when the drones take all their jobs! At that point its a unemployment issue and take it all the way to the f**king white house!!
Cycletech is offline Find More Posts by Cycletech
Old 10-08-2019, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by dusturbd
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2015
752 Posts
Drones will only be able to do a very small portion of what gets delivered I can tell you I am a courier and they could never do what I do all day
dusturbd is online now Find More Posts by dusturbd
Old 10-08-2019, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycletech View Post
They are going to have to put out A TON of money trying to build infrastructure and enforcement just to stop people from flying harmless RC planes under 400ft!!
The FAA is not going to take any direct action to enforce this, or any of the other 7 requirements to be exempted from Part 107 regulations. FAA enforcement will come by way of exception. Cause an incident or accident, and then they will look very closely at how you were operating.

Quick Reply