logo
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by McFueler
Claremont NC USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,225 Posts
Re: Wanting to start pattern/imac in sportsman class,

A slow Roll done correctly should earn a 10 just like a lighting fast roll done correctly !
McFueler is offline Find More Posts by McFueler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
I have discussed this topic with several Nat level judges and they all agree that there is no criteria for the roll other than a constant roll rate but most did say that a slow roll done correctly in the basic sequence would probably earn an extra point or 2.
This statement in self contradictory.

I submit that any "NATS level" judge who said this has no business judging the NATS, or any other contest, until they learn how to properly apply the actual criteria presented in the rules.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 09-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFueler View Post
A slow Roll done correctly should earn a 10 just like a lighting fast roll done correctly !
Hi Mark, I agree with you 100% I am cranking up the west coast and so far it is working.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Horse Power Saves Planes!
Magnolia, Texas
Joined Jan 2006
2,284 Posts

Quote:
As you say there is no criteria for the roll rate but as a judge the slow roll executed properly will get a higher score from me than a fast roll done equally as well.
As a judge if you don't see a reason for any deductions for a roll according to the rules then that roll must be scored a 10. I think you would agree with that. Using your logic are you then going to give a perfect slow roll a 12 because it was more difficult? I hope I never drive 500 miles to a contest and find you sitting in the judge's chair behind me making up your own scoring criteria!
Fixed Wing is offline Find More Posts by Fixed Wing
Old 09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,434 Posts

Quote:
Hi Mark, I agree with you 100% I am cranking up the west coast and so far it is working.
Whatever floats your boat. My reason for taking the time to answer your now self admitted troll posts is that there are no doubt people out here who will read them and think there is some truth to them.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

I'm in agreement with Judge. When judging, if you cannot site a specific criterea in the rules then no deduction should be given. It is as simple as that. Leave your personal preferences of what looks better out of the judges chair. There is enough judging variance caused by how people see things. We don't need to compound this with personal preferences, and distortion of the criterea. You do need to be aware that there are often differences in criterea between the various disciplines of model aerobatics.

In IMAC there is NO DEDUCTION for how fast a roll is done.

In the FAI Sporting Code, the term "Slow Roll" is used only to define an aileron roll as opposed to a "Flick" (snap) Roll. No criterea as to what the rate of roll should be.
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/sys...ics_10_Rev.pdf

IN AMA Pattern there is a criterea for a "slow roll", it must be a minimum of 3 secounds for a 360 degree roll. By this criterea, if a roll is done in 3 seconds, or 6 seconds, it is given the same score, even if the 6 second roll is harder to do and looks better.

Slow Roll: Model rolls slowly through one (1) complete revolution, in either direction; maneuver takes longer than three (3) seconds. Center is when model has rolled exactly 180 degrees. Downgrades:
1. Changes in heading.
2. Changes in altitude.
3. Roll rate not constant.
4. Model does not roll exactly 360 degrees.

See page 28 in this link. http://www.modelaircraft.org/UserFil...Aerobatics.pdf

IMAC, and NSRCA have spent a great deal of effort to get the criterea published in ways to make it easy to learn. Take advantage of it, research before you post, and spread the wrong information.

Given the above information we can see that try as they might, the authors of the rules are not 100% clear. If someone flying AMA Pattern does a "Roll" that takes only 2 seconds, what is the deduction? Would it be appropriate to give him a zero, because by definition he didn't do the perscribed manuever, a "Slow Roll"?
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Last edited by 1bwana1; 09-07-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by ChickenHawkA320
Vatican City
Joined Jan 2010
1,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bwana1 View Post
I'm in agreement with Judge. When judging, if you cannot site a specific criterea in the rules then no deduction should be given. It is as simple as that. Leave your personal preferences of what looks better out of the judges chair. There is enough judging variance caused by how people see things. We don't need to compound this with personal preferences, and distortion of the criterea. You do need to be aware that there are often differences in criterea between the various disciplines of model aerobatics.

In IMAC there is NO DEDUCTION for how fast a roll is done.

In the FAI Sporting Code, the term "Slow Roll" is used only to define an aileron roll as opposed to a "Flick" (snap) Roll. No criterea as to what the rate of roll should be.
http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/sys...ics_10_Rev.pdf

IN AMA Pattern there is a criterea for a "slow roll", it must be a minimum of 3 secounds for a 360 degree roll. By this criterea, if a roll is done in 3 seconds, or 6 seconds, it is given the same score, even if the 6 second roll is harder to do and looks better.

Slow Roll: Model rolls slowly through one (1) complete revolution, in either direction; maneuver takes longer than three (3) seconds. Center is when model has rolled exactly 180 degrees. Downgrades:
1. Changes in heading.
2. Changes in altitude.
3. Roll rate not constant.
4. Model does not roll exactly 360 degrees.

See page 28 in this link. http://www.modelaircraft.org/UserFil...Aerobatics.pdf

IMAC, and NSRCA have spent a great deal of effort to get the criterea published in ways to make it easy to learn. Take advantage of it, research before you post, and spread the wrong information.

Given the above information we can see that try as they might, the authors of the rules are not 100% clear. If someone flying AMA Pattern does a "Roll" that takes only 2 seconds, what is the deduction? Would it be appropriate to give him a zero, because by definition he didn't do the perscribed manuever, a "Slow Roll"?
That's a great input, As i recall All NATIONALS Were done as such. Slow roll was counted as a " 4 " second roll, when i was competing, Maintain altitude at all the time, Entry and Exit altitude, as a matter of fact i use to carry the AMA rule book for all the classes and the complete description of all of them, There used to be a section that had all the downgrades, including the half point to a full point to description of Zero.
ChickenHawkA320 is offline Find More Posts by ChickenHawkA320
Last edited by ChickenHawkA320; 09-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by hughsey
Uber Contributor
Joined Jun 2010
742 Posts

Ummm, guys, the question was asked about starting IMAC and you guys are beating your chest about judging and other ****, I just love forums, way to deter a potential IMAC pilot, hahahaha!!!! carry on now girls!!!
hughsey is offline Find More Posts by hughsey
Old 09-07-2010, 06:57 PM
Vatican City
Joined Jan 2010
1,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughsey View Post
Ummm, guys, the question was asked about starting IMAC and you guys are beating your chest about judging and other ****, I just love forums, way to deter a potential IMAC pilot, hahahaha!!!! carry on now girls!!!
So start it, don't cry when you score below what you think Either
Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,434 Posts

Seems to me that making certain that new people have the correct information relative to judging criteria would be a worthwhile thing. Maybe I'm wrong on that.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Sponsor of My Sons
Sea Level in the SunShine!
Joined Aug 2008
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Seems to me that making certain that new people have the correct information relative to judging criteria would be a worthwhile thing. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

NOPE, you are absolutely correct.....
KnowCrashes is offline Find More Posts by KnowCrashes
Old 09-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by hughsey
Uber Contributor
Joined Jun 2010
742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza_AKA_General View Post
So start it, don't cry when you score below what you think Either
2 Flips on the choke and pop, 1 flip and she always starts!!!!
hughsey is offline Find More Posts by hughsey
Old 09-08-2010, 01:43 AM
Vatican City
Joined Jan 2010
1,982 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughsey View Post
2 Flips on the choke and pop, 1 flip and she always starts!!!!
I guess Hand start is still in style
Old 09-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by dwalk
Flyin' Around
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
20 Posts

Hi Guys,

I started this thread, and nothing that ANYONE has said has deterred me from starting IMACin any way. Through this thread i have been in contact with some other IMAC flyers who are within an hour or so's drive from where i live. People have e-mailed me the basic arseti schedule, info on understanding arseti diagrams, and offered to help me with schedule demos and advice. So no, nothing has deterred me from flying in IMAC competitions. Them next local comp is in about 3 weeks, and while i'm not 100% sure i can make this one, i will certainly compete in the following one.

Cheers for all the help and advice and constructive discussions everyone, keep it coming

David
Levin, New Zealand
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old 09-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Redleader
Wellington NZ
Joined Mar 2010
79 Posts

Good News mate. Flying is what you make it. I hope to get to the Norsewood event if time allows ( practice time ). There is also the Tokaroa take off that sounds like a good day out. May see you there. Rod and Dom are full of good info.
Redleader is offline Find More Posts by Redleader

Quick Reply