Find More Posts by planebender
www.planebenderproducts.c om
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,145 Posts
Re: FG EXCLUSIVE: PRO FLOW 3-D CANNISTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot82 View Post
How about some video or sound bytes of these cans. I am interested in the 120 size when they come out.
Perhaps one of the current users might post some. I have none. If I make a vid this weekend I will post it here. It will be a while for the 100 size, Prolly a manth or so before we begin design.

Planebender
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

PURE SWEETNESS!!

Man.....what is everyone in the airplane industry reading my friggin' mind?? First , 3DHS comes out with my dream plane , with my dream colors and scheme......and NOW THIS! I've been waiting for a good set of 3D cans. I switched over to the standard open exhaust stacks and have pissed off everyone in my club with my "big noisy plane!"......looks as though I may have found a cure.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old 12-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
www.rcdude.com
St helens OR
Joined May 2006
2,088 Posts

Dave....one question : do you plan on making any canisters for the 100-120cc sized motors? Hence , also being able to use them on 50-60cc motors as well? I think the market for those size motors would be even more in demand , since those sized planes are a little more common.
JEFFRO503 is offline Find More Posts by JEFFRO503
Old 12-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by ken crane
gp factory service north east
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You won't miss much. just a couple of guys taking about how much money we have thrown at our cars and how much it cost to go real fast. Try $30,000 for one motor. We won't talk about how much the car cost to build and maintain.
Oh I know........I fly with Eddie Hills out here........he is allways talking about drag cars.[/QUOTE]

the fastest grey headed man on earth ! oh eddie hill.
ken crane is offline Find More Posts by ken crane
Old 12-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by crazyjoe
co
Joined Jan 2006
984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
Hey guys, while at the California Huckfest I was speaking to Planebender (Dave Sullivan) about motors and exhausts we use. He perked up and right then he told me about a product he had been working for quite some time. He smiled and quietly said, " A 3D specific canister muffler."

He then asked me if I was ever satisfied with any cans I had tried to run while flying 3D. I answered, "Well no not really, most seem to have a step in the low to mid range transition that makes hovering, and slow rolling maneuvers hard to keep smooth."
"BAM, you nailed it" was Daves reply. Then dave said "Sleepy, I fixed it".

While most of the cans available now are very nice units that can help produce power for the near W.O.T. IMAC style of flying, most usually fall short in the low to mid RPM range that most 3D pilots like to use. Dave said he solved this issue. My experience with exhaust came from designing and testing my own systems on my race car and trying to overcome not only horsepower loss but clean transition from a low to high throttle . After many months of testing and tuning, he has the perfect 3D canister muffler.

For those of you who don't know Dave, he was a National Championship Drag racer for over 20 years. He has worked as a machinist and engine builder in many race shops as well. Basically, the dude knows internal combustion engines, and what makes them work better. He also is a well know figure in the giant scale scene, throwing down 3D demos all over the country earning his name "Planebender". Dave was also my West Coast contact and man behind the scenes who really organized the California huckfest. over all, plain and simple a good dude.

So check this out boys and girls, the world debut of:

Planebenders PRO FLOW 3-D CANNISTERS!

About the Product:
From the very first time I flew using Canister exhaust I liked the quiet sound, It reminded me of my race car engines. The only thing that I hated was the severe hesitation and load up I experienced during the low to high transition. I believe most all of us would like to have a “electric transition” feel when advancing the throttle. I spoke to a couple of canister manufactures and asked them if they ever had plans to develop a product that was dedicated to the 3D flyer. They said that the current canisters work exactly as they were designed, To simply quiet the system “and no more”.

That’s when I decided to design and develop some Canisters for myself that would be user friendly for my flying style. I let a few friends that fly severe cold and scorching hot weather try the cans out and they were very pleased in the instant difference in throttle transition they felt.
So after giving it some thought and taking the advice of some close friends in the RC community I decided to manufacture the “PRO FLOW 3-D CANISTERS”

I will offer these cans for the 150cc-170cc engines for now. I have plans to begin testing new canisters for the 100cc-120cc very soon. Although actual results can vary, several people that were testing the PRO-FLOW 3-D CANISTERS were able to see a gain of 300 RPM when switching from an in-cowl muffler. I offer the PRO FLOW 3-D CANISTERS in both front and rear exit units so they should be able to fit most applications. Also I offer a stinger extension kit for the rear exit models. This should make sure the exhaust gasses get all the way out of your plane!

ALSO, these cannisters and extensions are 100% MADE IN THE USA!

Thank You so much for reading about my project. If you are serious about 3D I hope you will try a set today!

Dave “Planebender” Sullivan

A website is coming, but for now please contact me at [email protected]
Here you go
crazyjoe is offline Find More Posts by crazyjoe
Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFRO503 View Post
Dave....one question : do you plan on making any canisters for the 100-120cc sized motors? Hence , also being able to use them on 50-60cc motors as well? I think the market for those size motors would be even more in demand , since those sized planes are a little more common.
Yes we will. Not for a couple of months. They take a while to develop.

Planebender
Old 12-10-2010, 12:13 AM
Find More Posts by INFINITE-FOAMIES
1971 Suburban tow rig
NORTHPORT, NY
Joined Oct 2008
1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott m lyons View Post
I know guys whom have been running these in the northeast. They swear by them. Absoulutly love'm. Great job Dave !
i remembed on the greenmountainthread something about these but i remember something interconnecting the two canisters i thought?
INFINITE-FOAMIES is offline Find More Posts by INFINITE-FOAMIES
Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by Ground Pounder
Sacramento, CA
Joined Aug 2007
378 Posts

Dave, the stub on the back end of the front dump canisters provides a very good option. We can center support the can with the a standard mount. Once the can, headers and motor are tied together and take a natural "set" we can fab up a small ply bracket to anchor the stub and have a 2 point suspension that has little or no lateral force being exerted anywhere on the cannister system.

Rock solid and perfectly aligned.

At some point in time the stub may be a worthwhile addition to the rear dump canisters.
Ground Pounder is offline Find More Posts by Ground Pounder
Old 12-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,145 Posts

It would be Bill however the stinger protrudes directly from that area. Hurry up and get well so we can go flying!

Please remember people: Pay Pal charges 3% use fee so please allow for that. Thanks

Planebender
Old 12-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by jdracing3
I like pancakes
Joined Jan 2008
2,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi26 View Post
So do I. Working on putting my 500" big block Chrysler motor back together after a nasty rod bearing spun. Expensive fix. One crank, a set of new BME aluminum rods and eight new pistons. That's just the big parts.. About $8,000 dollars damage if you include machining and my time.
I'm thinking there are a few of us here at the Giants that use to do a little drag racing

...here's my 2000 Mayfield Camaro
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 AM
Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Humble, TX
Joined Mar 2006
1,195 Posts

Dave,
This is awesome. Congrats!

How do they compare to KS 1090 or RE3 Pipes?
TX Newbee is offline Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Old 12-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Find More Posts by Edgeman 540
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INFINITE-FOAMIES View Post
i remembed on the greenmountainthread something about these but i remember something interconnecting the two canisters i thought?
What you read was about the set of KS 95 canisters that Dave modified for Father Don to try out with the balance tube.
We also we talking about the new Pro Flows as well on that thread.

Dave it's great to finally see the Pro Flow's on the front page.I'm really looking forward to trying my new set out.
I think you hit a homerun with these.
Edgeman 540 is offline Find More Posts by Edgeman 540
Last edited by Edgeman 540; 12-10-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
F3S Jet Precision Aerobatics
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,637 Posts

Drag racing... yup SB fords... done that..how fast you wanna spend?... Way too much time and money on motor parts and dyno time.

No better feeling when you launch off the line... slicks are hooked grabbing for traction... eyeballs squished in your head, and all you see is hood and sky for a split second. You guys are killing me... been having the car itch again myself.

Did that as a break for a few years... then got back into IMAC planes... It is CHEAP compared to racing.

I will get back into autocross and opentrack... I did that a few times before I sold everything and fell in love.

Very nice work Dave! That is great to hear.
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by Father Don
Finally got it to the deck!
Joined Jan 2008
1,514 Posts

Man, you guys are killing me too!! I grew up about five miles from US 30 Drag Strip in Indiana. I used to ride my bike there when I was in sixth grade and grew up on a steady diet of burnt rubber and the sweeeeeeeet smell of nitro in the air....Could you imagine a 10 year old kid riding his bike to a drag strip with a friend today....

Back to these new canisters. Funny story. First of all running my 170 on KS95 cans, even with the 1" cross over, I could never get that motor to idle right. One click on my 12X and it was too high, trying to walk away from me, one click down and the motor would blub itself to a stall unless I worked the throttle. That makes for some tough landings!

When I first installed these cans, my buddy and I took it out in my yard and cranked it up. For the first time, this motor idled perfectly, one click up and it went up a little, one down, and it went down a little. I had no idea that had anything to do with exhaust. DA, in my office now! Ha, ha.

But that's not the funny part. I took it to the flying field the next day and noticed that it ran really good right away and I didn't even re-tune it dead on yet with the new cans; I did lean the bottem about a 16th from where it was. But during the third flight, I thought I heard an open header, like I had a broken seal or pipe. The flex headers were pretty beat up, or so I thought. I was done for the day anyway. I ordered new header pipes and got them in. But, when I went to install the new ones, I had a closer look at the old ones; after removing the cracked and blackened teflon tape, I realized they were perfect, nothing wrong. No seals leaking, nothing. I re-wrapped them and took it to the field the next day. All it was, was the deep sound these cans make. They sound like stock mufflers that have been quieted down. They have a deep raspy sound. Dude, they are inspired.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Dave for actually doing something about a concern and problem we have had for some time with these systems. He just wouldn't leave it alone, couldn't really. Sure, he could have taken meds to calm him down but I'm glad he didn't. Obsession, I think so, but a healthy one, and one we will all benefit from. I can't wait to see what's next.
Father Don is offline Find More Posts by Father Don
Old 12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Find More Posts by A-Track
Hey! Lemme show ya something!
Joined Jun 2006
15,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
The new type sound using the 1" stingers sounds more like a SB Chevy on Flowmasters to me and guys that are already using these.
This I have to hear.
A-Track is offline Find More Posts by A-Track

Quick Reply