logo
Old 02-05-2014, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Hugo Chapus
Maverick-Models
Joined Aug 2013
81 Posts
Discussion
Castle ESC's with Hacker Q80 28 pole motor ???

Hi Everybody !

I'm thinking about changing my motor setup on my EF Extra 91". I have a Scorpion SKII-6530-180kv with a Castle Creation Phoenix Ice2 120HV, it works perfect but I didn't realized when choosing this motor, that 4500W would be a little underpowered for the 91" although this is a perfect combo for a 50cc class up to 7.5kg...

My problem is I don't know if Castle Phoenix Ice2 160HV would turn the Q80-6L which has the property to be a 28 pole motor... I wanna highline "PHOENIX ICE2 160HV" 'cause there are plenty of different names for Castle ESCs.

Also if anyone has the precise name of the Hacker and Castle ESC Joe Smith is using in his Edge 92", it would be a great help !

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !
Hugo Chapus is offline Find More Posts by Hugo Chapus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
2,317 Posts
Get a jeti speed control. They work great. Castle has been hit or miss on the big outrunners. Some have worked fine and some haven't. I have plenty of castle controllers and the data logging and stuff is nice, but when they don't work it is annoying! The phoenix ice2 were discontinued for a reason....
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 02-05-2014, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
I had one hacker Q80 F3A versions in a pattern airplane and the newer castle controllers did not like it. On that setup I was running the brand new Phoenix Edge 80HV and I could not get the controllers to pull more then 33 amps. Castle gave me four different controllers to use and none of them would pull any amps. I even had a couple of castle sponsored pilots try and figure it out and they could not. I ended up having to pull one of my older castle controllers out of another airplane to get it to work. Since then I have switched to the O.S. controller and have been very happy with them, although they are probably not big enough for what you are looking to do. For your setup I would also recommend the jeti controllers.
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Old 02-05-2014, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by gmilo
Alamo, CA USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,303 Posts
Castle knows about the compatibility issue of their ESC's with the 28pole Hacker Q80 motors and are/were working on a firmware solution. I'd recommend checking with them OR calling Aeromicro for an update.

Greg
gmilo is offline Find More Posts by gmilo
Old 02-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Maverick-Models
Joined Aug 2013
81 Posts
Ok guys thanks a lot for those who already replied, it seems like I should take some more time to save money and go with Jeti ESC, or Hacker ones, I were talking about Castle Creations 'cause they are way cheaper than Jeti and Hacker... But what about Joe Smith setup ? It looks like he's using Castle and Hacker without problems, so is he lying in the setup infos to make sponsors happy ?
Old 02-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Find More Posts by aglenn
Memphis,TN
Joined Jan 2006
70 Posts
I know from experience the new Q80 and the castle esc's for some reason dont mesh very well. I believe it is a timing issue but I could be wrong. Best bet is the Jeti Mezon controllers or the O.S. Controllers. They both seem to work very well with the Q series.
aglenn is offline Find More Posts by aglenn
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by gmilo
Alamo, CA USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,303 Posts
I originally bought a Castle 160HV ESC for my Hacker Q80M only to find out about the incompatibility issue once I received it. Aeromodel (Hacker distributor in the US) kindly took it back for a full credit towards the purchase of the Jeti Mezon ESC. This was about 6 months ago and at the time, I was informed Castle was working on a firmware fix to correct the timing incompatibility, hence my recommendation to ask Castle or Aeromodel for an update to see if Castle has corrected the problem by now if you like Castle ESC's. I've been very happy with my Hacker Q80M and Jeti Mezon installed in my 3DHS 89" Slick. Its a rocket ship with great vertical punch. Good luck
gmilo is offline Find More Posts by gmilo
Last edited by gmilo; 02-05-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by rcbirk21
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts
check out the gecko esc's from altitudehobbies.com, they have a 150a HV opto esc that looks like it would do the trick. very reasonably priced as well
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
Old 02-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by joesmith285
Joined Jan 2009
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Chapus View Post
Hi Everybody !

Also if anyone has the precise name of the Hacker and Castle ESC Joe Smith is using in his Edge 92", it would be a great help !

Thanks a lot in advance for your help !
Hey Hugo,

I'm running the Hacker Q80-8M with the Castle ICE2 HV160. This setup has been nothing short of perfect for the last year!

I have also run the Q80-6L in a 50cc plane. It worked very well as well. This motor is good for 7500 watts so it's enough to haul around a 100cc bird. With that said, it stays nice and cool in a 50cc plane as you will probably only be pulling 5500 watts. I personally prefer the Q80-8M for 50cc planes due to being lighter and still remaining very happy producing 5000 watts.

Let me know if you have any questions about the setup. I can get you the correct ESC settings as well if you decide to go this route.

Joe
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by Slats!
Joined Dec 2008
1,251 Posts
Been running this set up and it's awesome. People need to realize you are asking about the Ice not Edge Esc. The Edge is the one with issues.
Slats! is offline Find More Posts by Slats!
Old 02-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Maverick-Models
Joined Aug 2013
81 Posts
Thank you all for your answers ! I dont care about 200gr more on my 91", my aim at the local club is to demonstrate to the "only gas" folk that a brushless can be ballistic power, so with 7kW I'm sure it'll be ok ! ^^
Being a 18 yo student I don't have a lot of money, and the Castle Ice2 160 ESC's are in europe 160$ cheaper than the Jeti for the same specs, so my choice would be on that CC, as Joe says he can lead me to solve the compatibility trouble ! I'll keep you all tuned about my next purchase, 'cause for today I was only thinking about this setup change. I'm almost fully convinced for the Castle 160 + Q80-6L so now I'm looking for some money ! ^^
Cheers from France,
Hugo
Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 AM
Find More Posts by hackdroot
United States, CA, Oakley
Joined Jun 2010
108 Posts
I certainly hope Castle gets their programming straight with the new Edge line. I went with a Jeti Spin Pro 125 on my Q80-8M powered 3DHS Extra 300, and lost power to my motor after about a little more than a dozen flights resulting in about $200 worth of damage. Looks like the leads on the caps are burned off.

If anyone has any good alternatives, I'd love to hear about them. New Castle Ice2 HV160's are hard to come by.
hackdroot is offline Find More Posts by hackdroot
Old 03-02-2014, 05:34 PM
Maverick-Models
Joined Aug 2013
81 Posts
Wow man this sucks :/ Sorry for your loss... I hope I'll never have any issue with my Ice2 120A ...
Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by motogp4me
Flyin' Around
United States, CA, Poway
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
Same problem here. 50cc sbach running the A60-18L hacker and the castle 160 HV ice controller. I had to send the first controller in for the recall and was given a new one. I went from 3500 watts and 75 amps to 1941 watts and 49 amps. Castle says they have no idea when the engineers are going to fix the firmware. afraid to put this 17 lbs back in the air.
motogp4me is offline Find More Posts by motogp4me
Old 01-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Find More Posts by vatechguy3
United States, VA, Smithfield
Joined Jan 2006
2,165 Posts
Any updates??

Tony
vatechguy3 is online now Find More Posts by vatechguy3

Quick Reply