logo
Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by pryor808
Fast & Low
Originally from Puerto Rico but, live in NY. Go! Gabriel Altuz
Joined Nov 2009
3,459 Posts
Can't go wrong with a Pilot airframe. I am looking at this one to replace my current 50cc.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/radio-c...prc-ext30.html

it's between that or the 89" Slick from 3DHS. The Slick is heavy on the wallet.
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Chix fly too.
Joined Jul 2011
1,076 Posts
Cool story, wasn't it Napoleon who said " I don't want a good plane, I want a lucky one" I might have got part of that quote wrong though.

Many years ago I had a club mate who couldn't turn right at all and love really big expensive scale models, one day the wind direction was such that the only way of not crashing into some woodlands was to do an immediate right turn on take off. Anyway, You can guess what happens, we watch his plane hit a tree top and disappear vertically at high speed right into the middle of the dense woods. Off I go to look for it with a few others, all with plastic bags in hand as we just knew it had to be totalled from how it went in. I get there and am wandering around for a bit in the bracken looking in vain for the wreckage, until i hear an engine running at idle. The plane had caught a wing-tip on the way down, gone into a flat spin and landed in the only clear space in the whole woodland with the engine still running. It had no damage other than a small hole in the covering on a wing-tip.

Lucky planes are something to be treasured.
Languid Virago is offline Find More Posts by Languid Virago
Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Languid Virago View Post
Cool story, wasn't it Napoleon who said " I don't want a good plane, I want a lucky one" I might have got part of that quote wrong though.

Lucky planes are something to be treasured.
Ummm ...... was it the plane he flew to Waterloo?
Robotech is offline Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 12-28-2011, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
Hey Dan,

I am waiting for your story #6, have you found the issue with that elevator servos?

Crazy Jack
JackRC is offline Find More Posts by JackRC
Old 12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Find More Posts by airbike
Walnut, Calif
Joined Jan 2006
496 Posts
story number 6:

I take off and am at low altitude and WOT when I gently give a little down elevator, but the plane responds with a full down elevator command!!!!! Lucky life number 6 because I happened to be inverted and the plane shot straight up in the air!!

I pull power and land the plane immediately. Sent the elev servos to Hitec (HS 7950 at 6.3v) but installed another set of 7950's that I had only used for 20 flights on my QQ120" Yak elev.

Well, I got the servos back from Hitec. They said the center cases were damaged and they replaced the center cases. I asked them to send me some signal boosters and they included those with the servos.

Upon range check and general check of the installation, I found one of the elev extensions slightly loose from the Rx (after 200+ flights of vibration from the DA120) so I added a zip tie all the way around all the servo connectors.

Now I'm not sure if the problem was a loose connector or a failing servo. But the plane is flying good and I'm trying the latest set of mufflers from DA after 2 sets have broken.

The wings seem to flex a bit more now than before.....hope that is not the next thing to go. I haven't practiced one wing landings (2 previous incidents ended badly).

thats all for now.
airbike is offline Find More Posts by airbike
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Find More Posts by JackRC
JR = Jack the Ripper
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Jul 2011
533 Posts
6 done, 3 to go.

how about we practice one wing landing with one of our beat up foamy? should be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbike View Post
story number 6:

I take off and am at low altitude and WOT when I gently give a little down elevator, but the plane responds with a full down elevator command!!!!! Lucky life number 6 because I happened to be inverted and the plane shot straight up in the air!!

I pull power and land the plane immediately. Sent the elev servos to Hitec (HS 7950 at 6.3v) but installed another set of 7950's that I had only used for 20 flights on my QQ120" Yak elev.

Well, I got the servos back from Hitec. They said the center cases were damaged and they replaced the center cases. I asked them to send me some signal boosters and they included those with the servos.

Upon range check and general check of the installation, I found one of the elev extensions slightly loose from the Rx (after 200+ flights of vibration from the DA120) so I added a zip tie all the way around all the servo connectors.

Now I'm not sure if the problem was a loose connector or a failing servo. But the plane is flying good and I'm trying the latest set of mufflers from DA after 2 sets have broken.

The wings seem to flex a bit more now than before.....hope that is not the next thing to go. I haven't practiced one wing landings (2 previous incidents ended badly).

thats all for now.
JackRC is offline Find More Posts by JackRC
Old 12-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
This is why you use redundancy....just think how much that extra $50 for a battery would have saved you...
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by airbike
Walnut, Calif
Joined Jan 2006
496 Posts
Or a 0.02 ziptie....
airbike is offline Find More Posts by airbike
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by Edge 5forty
Doo It! Doo It!
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Dec 2011
196 Posts
Wow...never seen a deans connector come unplugged. Also, all my deans connections in my aircrafts take a bit of brute force to pull them apart.
I use two A123 packs that connect to a Smart Fly Power Expander Pro unit for regulating the voltage outputs and give me redundancy .
You sure do have one lucky plane!!

Jim
Edge 5forty is offline Find More Posts by Edge 5forty

Quick Reply