logo
Old 02-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by borealnw
life is good
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
When are you going? Or have you already gone?

You still plan on being a backup singer for Shania next season right! Dude its gonna be hard to pull off that song without ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra pilot View Post
I have almost all of the parts for a PNW in the hangar (garage) for a build, but do not have the time to build it yet. Also the trip to Italy is taking the funds.
borealnw is offline Find More Posts by borealnw
Last edited by borealnw; 02-10-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: posting a funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-11-2019, 03:06 PM
Find More Posts by kbodeau
Keith Bodeau
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jan 2006
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymas View Post
This years judging school is back at the Richland Library - 955 Northgate Dr.

This year is a rule change year so make sure to attend and learn how the new changes may affect your scores. As of right now I am looking at getting a couple sandwich trays from Subway for lunch on Saturday. There is no charge to attend the class but donations to cover the food would be greatly appreciated. We will have books and inserts on hand. Rick has also picked up some judging wheels to hand out so give him a big thanks when you see him. Rick also attended the NJS and will be helping with the instruction.

Sunday weather permitting we will have some practical demonstrations at Higgins Field.

Better make sure the plane has Ski's!
kbodeau is offline Find More Posts by kbodeau
Old 02-11-2019, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by R_adical
United States, MT, Garrison
Joined Apr 2011
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbodeau View Post
Better make sure the plane has Ski's!
And De-icing boots
R_adical is offline Find More Posts by R_adical
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 PM
Find More Posts by Rusty 73
Flyin low and Smooth
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2014
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_adical View Post
And De-icing boots

Anti ice spray for the aircraft .
Rusty 73 is offline Find More Posts by Rusty 73
Old 02-12-2019, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty 73 View Post
Anti ice spray for the aircraft .
De-ice first with Type I fluid, then Anti ice with Type IV (Kilfrost) Then check the tables for holdover time!
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM
Find More Posts by Extra pilot
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Jun 2012
155 Posts
How about CANX the flight all together and just sit at the bar with a cold one in your hands. I off on vacay this summer. Exact times not on the net.
Extra pilot is offline Find More Posts by Extra pilot
Old 02-12-2019, 07:18 PM
Flyin low and Smooth
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2014
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra pilot View Post
How about CANX the flight all together and just sit at the bar with a cold one in your hands. I off on vacay this summer. Exact times not on the net.

So does this mean your leaving after Othelo contest . I would love to see Italy someday with the wifetake three weeks and travel around , maybe visit the Ferrari factory and see Sacha in Florence.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:22 PM
Flyin low and Smooth
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2014
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan767 View Post
De-ice first with Type I fluid, then Anti ice with Type IV (Kilfrost) Then check the tables for holdover time!
Thanks Dan , so the color fuild is the Anti ice stuff which is after the first De-ice spray? Different colors for colder temps I'm guessing , a set time use before takeoff depending on the Anti ice type used .
Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 PM
That's at least a 9
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dan , so the color fuild is the Anti ice stuff which is after the first De-ice spray? Different colors for colder temps I'm guessing , a set time use before takeoff depending on the Anti ice type used .
Holdover is based on precipitation rate and temperature, and begins at the start of the application. Precipitation rate is determined from the weather (METAR) Observation. Type I is orange. Type IV is green and is made to remain on the wing and ”shear” from the wing surface on take off carrying any contaminants off the wing. Type IV is usually heated, while Type I may not be.

Dan
Old 02-12-2019, 11:48 PM
Flyin low and Smooth
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Feb 2014
721 Posts
Thanks Dan I have seen the orange type being sprayed on the aircraft but never green . So does green type IV have a higher precipitous rate .
Are you going to flying at any IMac NW events this year , would like to see you if your schuedule permitts of course .
Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Find More Posts by R_adical
United States, MT, Garrison
Joined Apr 2011
193 Posts
Folks I present this to you unedited from AMA as of this morning

Hello all,

The FAA just released information regarding a new Interim Final Rule for external registration markings. This new rule will be effective on February 23 and will require our members to place FAA registration numbers on the outside of their aircraft. The old FAA registration rule allowed FAA numbers to be placed inside of battery compartments or other hatches, but law enforcement officials and the FAA’s interagency security partners have expressed concerns about the risk a concealed explosive device might pose to first responders upon opening a compartment to find a UAS registration number.

Most of our members already place their number on the exterior of the aircraft, but the AMA scale community will likely view this as a concern. AMA has been assured by the FAA that an exterior marking exemption process is in place for members who want to maintain the exterior integrity of a specific aircraft. Regardless of the FAA assurances, AMA will be submitting public comments requesting an official exemption process for those who would be burdened by external FAA markings.

While its best to direct questions to the Gov. team, I have provided a few talking points below-

• FAA registration is not new, Congress reinstated this requirement in December of 2017. The only new requirement in this Interim Final Rule is the requirement to place the FAA registration number on the outside of your aircraft.

• While external marking should only be a burden a small number within our community (scale replica members), AMA will be submitting comments for an exemption process before the March 15, 2019 deadline.

• Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment (battery compartment or hatch).

• The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone.

• This interim final rule does not change the original acceptable methods of external marking, nor does it specify a particular external surface on which the registration number must be placed. The requirement is that it can be seen upon visual inspection of the aircraft’s exterior.

• If you are uncertain whether or not you have a valid FAA registration, you can access your FAA account at https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/. This site will allow you to view your personal FAA registration number and expiration date. We strongly advise to avoid registering your model aircraft anywhere but at the official FAA website. If you register under Section 336, the fee is $5.00 for a three year registration and hobbyists receive one identification number for all the aircraft he or she owns. Please be aware of unofficial registration websites that charge exorbitant fees or require separate registration fees for each recreational aircraft.

• Visit https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93045 to learn more.

FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change
www.faa.gov
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has posted a rule in the Federal Register requiring small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment. The rule is effective on February 23.

Best regards,

Tyler Dobbs l Government Affairs Director

Academy of Model Aeronautics

5161 E Memorial Drive

Muncie, IN 47302

(800)435-9262 - (765)287-1256 ext. 235 - Fax (765)289-4248

www.modelaircraft.org
R_adical is offline Find More Posts by R_adical
Old 02-13-2019, 02:06 PM
That's at least a 9
Joined Jan 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dan I have seen the orange type being sprayed on the aircraft but never green . So does green type IV have a higher precipitous rate .
Are you going to flying at any IMac NW events this year , would like to see you if your schuedule permitts of course .
The rate and kind of precipitation determines the hold over time. Light snow would have the longest, decreasing as the precipitation rate increases to moderate or heavy. It’s almost impossible to protect against freezing rain. Some airport operations device close to the end of the runway to assure minimum delay from application to take off.

I am hoping to return to IMAC sometime. With my work schedule it’s almost impossible. I’m hoping my vacation and a contest line up and make it happen.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by Extra pilot
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Jun 2012
155 Posts
Oh yeah the horrors of the FAA and their DRONE B.S. I wish someone high up on the chain would smack the people in charge of this nonsense around. If you read the above post sent out by R_adical, specifically this line: The FAA believes this action will enhance safety and security by allowing a person to view the unique identifier directly without handling the drone. The last I knew I was not flying a drone or a UAS aircraft. Nor do I fly with reckless abandon as some pilots do, and I have a hard time using that word for those who endanger our great hobby. In my opinion, PILOTS fly with care, understanding of their environment and follow the rules and safety regulations while controlling their individual aircraft. I'll tell you know, I'm not about this placing my FAA # on the outside of my plane, as my plane is NEVER out of sight! And if it happens to crash, I know where it landed! Unlike some drone footage seen on Youtube. I think that this is the most I've ever written on this website. I'm stepping off my soap box now, this F%#$$^g S&*t P&^%$s me off to no end. Have a great day all.
Extra pilot is offline Find More Posts by Extra pilot
Old 02-15-2019, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by borealnw
life is good
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Feb 2009
591 Posts
I needed another .5 oz forward of CG. I wonder if making a graphic of my 10 digit #ers in .005 font will meet the FAA code and the weight.
borealnw is offline Find More Posts by borealnw
Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by TheRooster
Australia, VIC, Abbotsford
Joined Mar 2006
996 Posts
Thank you all for reading! I plan to be back in "The game" soon... see everyone this spring hopefully!
TheRooster is offline Find More Posts by TheRooster
Last edited by TheRooster; 02-17-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply