logo
Old 10-02-2019, 05:30 AM
Find More Posts by RCdude13
Joined Sep 2019
9 Posts
Took some pics of the engines going back together. The 97 RV crankcase is what they sent me and it works for my 90 crank, head, etc.
RCdude13 is offline Find More Posts by RCdude13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-02-2019, 06:26 AM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Nov 2011
879 Posts
Cool,let us know how it works.
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 10-02-2019, 06:35 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
583 Posts
Weigh the odds: the number of engines with carbs pulling air from inside the fuse compared to the number of failures from "sucking in bolts". It seems a bit odd the amount of ZDZs failing from "debris" compared to every other engine.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
3W/ZDZ Flyer
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined Mar 2011
3,209 Posts
more than likely a "failure" from within.

BV
Bill Vargas is offline Find More Posts by Bill Vargas
Old 10-02-2019, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,719 Posts
It would be better if ZDZ just sold the engines as high performance engines with NO warranty.

O.S. has been doing this for decades with their r/c racing engines for the cars. People still buy them and they dominate. However, it is explained upfront that you are on your own.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 10-02-2019, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by RCdude13
Joined Sep 2019
9 Posts
The crankcase did not have a mark on it for setting the location of the sensor. I just measured it of off one of my old 90's. I fired up the first engine in my Hellcat. It ran well, had a ton of power, but eventually started stopping whenever I went to full throttle. If I backed off as soon as i noticed it starting to die I was able to keep it running. I was using a Falcon 26 x 10 prop. Any ideas?

All in all, I am pretty happy with the results.
RCdude13 is offline Find More Posts by RCdude13
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,471 Posts
ZDZ's never had any kind of timing marks on them so they published a quick way to set the timing or you could go to the degree wheel monkey business.

If the trigger, I've forgotten the real name, mounted in the hub is lined up with that casing rib on the exact side of the case, the piston is at TDC. Draw a line on the hub with a marking pen and backup the crank shaft a bit. Then draw another line on the hub at 6.5mm, 7.0mm distance from the first line. That works for the bigger engines, below the first line. Rotate the crank back to where the second line you drew, lines up with the casing rib, set the pickup so it is centered on the first line you drew and you're done.

Dick Hanson who used to be known as "Mr. ZDZ" here in the USA because he helped ZDZ develope the engines, used to say, "just slide the pickup all the way to the end of the screw mounting slots and tighten it down. Believe it or not, that surprisingly accurate.

ZDZ's are pretty sensitive to ignition timing so you'll want to mess around with that a bit. First move I'd make is to retard the timing a bit. Next part, and I've not had one of the new engines, is that ZDZ's get hot pretty quickly when running on the ground. Get a thermometer and check between the two top cylinder ribs. If that thing gets to 200 degrees F, you're wasting your time beyond that point. You'll have to shut it down and let it cool off before you try again. I suspect this is the problem you're having; the engine is just getting hot because it's their nature and this one is going to be tight with all the new parts.

I'm going to include a couple of pictures for you, I cannot find the ones RC Showcase put out right now, but if I find them I post them in this thread.

Take a look at where the pickup is in relation to that case rib. The picture you posted looks good.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 10-03-2019, 12:04 AM
Find More Posts by Micke202
Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
106 Posts
Hi
Are you sure the rotary valve is mounted correct?
On the 180 it’s possible to get incorrect timing if the rotary valve is flipped 180 degrees.
Or maybee it’s overheating as mentioned earlier.
The prop feels a little small I think.
I flew my ZDZ 90 on RE3 pipe with Engel Super Silence 28x12.
//Mikael
Micke202 is offline Find More Posts by Micke202

Quick Reply