logo
Old 05-14-2019, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
19 Posts
Discussion
Bavarian DEMON CORTEX

I've noticed a lot of the Bavarian DEMON CORTEX gyros being sold , are these not good systems ?
Just wondering because I was thinking about getting one for my EF slick . Thanks bowhunter
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-14-2019, 08:58 PM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
975 Posts
I think it’s the best gyro system available. I’ve tried most of them and I like the feel and setup of the cortex the best. There were some people who got rid of the original cortex to go to the cortex pro which allows serial bus out and twin receivers. The Flex Innovations Aura 8 is a better value but the Cortex is a better Gyro. The Powerbox iGyro is very good too but I think it’s harder to setup correctly. However it does support gain control based on airspeed which is very nice.

If I were setting up a jet or large warbird I would use a Powerbox with iGyro. For giant scale aerobatics I like the Cortex. For smaller models I would use the Aura.
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 05-14-2019, 09:07 PM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
209 Posts
I agree with dshriver. I have 3 Cortex Pro gyros as well as 2 Spektrum AS3000 gyros and 1 Aurora. The Cortex is the best. The other 2 can be very good but only after considerable tuning.
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 05-15-2019, 08:32 AM
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
19 Posts
Thanks for the input guys
Old 05-18-2019, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,292 Posts
My understanding is that the Cortex comes with 5 servo jumpers and is easier to set up on a large scale plane than the Aura 8. So how much easier and are there any Rx restrictions?

I tried the Aura 8 last year and found I could use a Y-harness for the ailerons, but I'd rather not since my servos can draw 5.3+A each at any time. The gain was also an issues and I got oscillating aileron on the maiden. I had to move the setting down to 5 in order to get it to stop, so I just shelved the who idea and put it in a 4 servo plane. I used it as the Rx with a sat, with a lot better results.

But I'm still looking for something for 5 servos on 5 control surfaces with some out of the box setting that work, or a way to program it from the Tx so I'm not having to link it to a laptop to make small corrects at the field.

Like everything else I normally modify on a maiden, I'd like to land, make the adjustments through the Tx, then take off again to test the new setting. Anything like this yet?
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
209 Posts
Aeroplayin,
Iím sure others will chime in as well but the Demon would be my recommendation. Follow the directions and itís plug and play. You can change the master gain from your transmitter and that is all you will likely ever need to do. I have never connected any of my 3 Demon Pros to a computer. They are very good out of the box. Iíve found a gain of 20% (servo travel)is a good starting point. From there I increase it a little at a time until I see some oscillation at full throttle in level flight then back it down a bit. I set mine up on a 3 position switch so that I can turn it off if I want although I rarely do and in calm conditions it difficult for me to tell the difference. When the wind is blowing the difference is amazing.
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 05-18-2019, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by flying skunks
FFAA for Life
Flying with the Best of Friends
Joined May 2006
19,272 Posts
The Cortex Pro is the Shiznizzle ..Super easy to set up , Great product , Specially is Giant Scale and or High Performance Jets
flying skunks is offline Find More Posts by flying skunks
Old 05-18-2019, 04:52 PM
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
19 Posts
Bought one from fellow FG member Yankster can't wait to try it out !
Last edited by ohiobowhunter; 05-18-2019 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Smilely
Old 05-18-2019, 06:05 PM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svan View Post
Aeroplayin,
Iím sure others will chime in as well but the Demon would be my recommendation. Follow the directions and itís plug and play. You can change the master gain from your transmitter and that is all you will likely ever need to do. I have never connected any of my 3 Demon Pros to a computer. They are very good out of the box. Iíve found a gain of 20% (servo travel)is a good starting point. From there I increase it a little at a time until I see some oscillation at full throttle in level flight then back it down a bit. I set mine up on a 3 position switch so that I can turn it off if I want although I rarely do and in calm conditions it difficult for me to tell the difference. When the wind is blowing the difference is amazing.
Thanks. I had the 3 position switch on mine -- low off, high off, and high on -- and that worked great, but I think it's time move to the Cortex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying skunks View Post
The Cortex Pro is the Shiznizzle ..Super easy to set up , Great product , Specially is Giant Scale and or High Performance Jets
Thanks, Donnie. Hope you're doing well, and Little Stinker too.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin

Quick Reply