logo
Old 09-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts
THE BAD IDEA. . .

If anyone has an old super cub three channel floating around collecting dust, this is a great way to destroy it.

I had a spare align 430XL brushless set up for a spare heli motor. Well, it dropped right into the super cub gear reduction tranny.

So, off I went. I pulled the gear off the original motor, opened the bore to .125", burnished it with the arbor shaft on a carbide dremel burr and then drilled and installed a .062" roll pin between the output shaft and the gear. Worked great.

Bolt pattern on the motor mount was a perfect match and I stuck a 35A ESC to the side of the fuse so it'd have good cooling in the Baghdad heat here.

I used a 11volt 3 cell lipo and hung a 13X8.5 prop on the bugger.

The maiden:

She polevaluted off the asphault in less than three feet and went vertical. Full down elevator to get some control and then at about 60 feet the entire front of the plane tore itself from the firewall.

Yanked it right out!

So, it ends with a very impressive looking flat spin and a subtle thud.

Four hours of work over in less than 15 seconds, that'll teach me!

Everything survived though, so it's back at it with some creative use of tongue depressors and 5 minute.

Too funny.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply