logo
Old 03-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
United States, NY, Wading River
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts
Washington ADIZ question

For you guys that are familar with it, whats the procedure? File an IFR Flight plan? Need to take a plane down for maintence next week to a GA airport within the ADIZ and to tell the truth I haven't followed anything to do with it.
JeeUm is offline Find More Posts by JeeUm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by Twizlair
Abq. NM
Joined Oct 2006
757 Posts
Re: Washington ADIZ question

Hit Captain Ducman with an email if you have time i believe he has a route around there not for sure?
If not just remember that when you see the F-16 ask him do a roll then stand it on the tail use 121.5 for communication.
Hehehehehehe!
Sorry Jeeum i could not resist and have no real world help for you on this issue.
I recently sat through an AOPA safety breifing on this and to the best of my recolection you file a flight plan get your descret code and do not deviate.
Jeramy
Twizlair is offline Find More Posts by Twizlair
Old 03-05-2007, 11:24 PM
Find More Posts by RightThrust
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

Anything involving crossing an ADIZ requires an IFR or DVFR flightplan. A mode-c xponder is also required to cross any ADIZ obviously. Call the briefer when you're ready for the flight and they will inform you of any special procedures or restrictions. You may be required to give the, an estimated time of crossing if it is DVFR at which you must meet within a specified time. The briefer at the coresponding FSS is the best person to ask, then file. Don't forget your video camera!

-Kelly Gerber
RightThrust is offline Find More Posts by RightThrust
Old 03-05-2007, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

HUH?

What you guys talking bout?
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Old 03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Find More Posts by "X" Rated
Around the world at mach .92
Hurricane alley
Joined Feb 2006
647 Posts

All good points here. Kelly hit it! (I think he may have had a FAR/AIM in front of him! He he)! Kidding around Kelly. Its like this- If your IFR current and rated (and the plane is current as well ), just file IFR. If your destination is non-towered, cancel on short final (as long as its VFR ). Flight service will tell you if this is not posible when you get your wx and file. Hope this helps and happy flying.
"X" Rated is offline Find More Posts by "X" Rated
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightThrust View Post
Anything involving crossing an ADIZ requires an IFR or DVFR flightplan. A mode-c xponder is also required to cross any ADIZ obviously. Call the briefer when you're ready for the flight and they will inform you of any special procedures or restrictions. You may be required to give the, an estimated time of crossing if it is DVFR at which you must meet within a specified time. The briefer at the coresponding FSS is the best person to ask, then file. Don't forget your video camera!

-Kelly Gerber
Thank Kelly. I realize that, but I remember reading something about particular airports that were on the fringes. Not sure.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by "X" Rated View Post
All good points here. Kelly hit it! (I think he may have had a FAR/AIM in front of him! He he)! Kidding around Kelly. Its like this- If your IFR current and rated (and the plane is current as well ), just file IFR. If your destination is non-towered, cancel on short final (as long as its VFR ). Flight service will tell you if this is not posible when you get your wx and file. Hope this helps and happy flying.
Thanks John, I'm not current nor is the plane.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

File the defense VFR or ADIZ flight plane then. The main thing is that you are not ever within 5nm of the boundry of and ADIZ line squaking 1200. You MUST be squaking a code given to you under the DVFR flight plan. I would definetly have flight following through the entire flight and also listen to 121.50 on your other comm. Another thing to note would be to file the flight plan with the FSS associated with the airport near or within the ADIZ you are travelling to and not your local FSS. Review your intercept procedures too. It's not a big deal but if you end up in near the ADIZ squaking 1200 and not talking to anyone plan to be in big time trouble. Good luck and get your most recent NOTAM's on www.airnav.com

-Kelly
Old 03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Hurricane alley
Joined Feb 2006
647 Posts

Ok. Well try this.... Give the local FSS station a ring in the morning and tell them your scenario. They will tell you if it is doable or not ( you will still need a working mode C xponder w/alt encoding ). There are always loop holes for airports in this nature. Should be relatively easy and painless to complete your mission without encountering any kind of trouble. BTW, where are you coming out of, and where is your destination?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Thanks Kelly. Seems to make sense. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything important.

Flightplan, whats that? LOL.

Haven't filed one of those in awhile.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 AM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Quote:
Ok. Well try this.... Give the local FSS station a ring in the morning and tell them your scenario. They will tell you if it is doable or not ( you will still need a working mode C xponder w/alt encoding ). There are always loop holes for airports in this nature. Should be relatively easy and painless to complete your mission without encountering any kind of trouble. BTW, where are you coming out of, and where is your destination?
Going out of Orange County (MGJ), haven't gotten the exact destination yet. Just got the call tonight that one of the planes needs some sort of inspection. It's actually a really nice Grand Caravan with all the bells and whistles. Just been flying jumpers for awhile so I'm sure it's not IFR current.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Ocala, FL
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

When you call the FSS tell them your hauling a huge load of fertilizer in the Caravan and ask them the lowest you can fly before getting shot down before your destination.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Hurricane alley
Joined Feb 2006
647 Posts

Wonderful sled! Used to fly one of those for Mountain Air Cargo (FedEx feeder) years back. Hows OCC these days? Well, if you plan a stop, you can then file a DVFR plan with Wash FSS. This will give you and center a better eta for ADIZ penetration (oops, did i say that)? Flight following is a must for this flight. you may also want to take note of your Lat/Long for point of entry. FSS will most likely want that info and well as time. Im sure your bird has the KLN89B GPS in it. Good unit!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Hurricane alley
Joined Feb 2006
647 Posts

If all previous fails.....File a NASA report. Should get you off the hook! <laughing>. good flight!
Old 03-06-2007, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by JeeUm
Joined Jan 2006
4,494 Posts

Quote:
Wonderful sled! Used to fly one of those for Mountain Air Cargo (FedEx feeder) years back. Hows OCC these days? Well, if you plan a stop, you can then file a DVFR plan with Wash FSS. This will give you and center a better eta for ADIZ penetration (oops, did i say that)? Flight following is a must for this flight. you may also want to take note of your Lat/Long for point of entry. FSS will most likely want that info and well as time. Im sure your bird has the KLN89B GPS in it. Good unit!
Mountain Air Cargo, they're based out of Denver, NC right?

OCC, Pffft. Talk about stepping in it.

Actually it's got a Garmin GNS 530 and a GTX330.

I'll give Wash FSS a call tomorrow just to make sure.

Thanks for info guys.

Quick Reply