logo
Old 08-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by whaturi
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2006
1,167 Posts
Re: CAPI IMAC: Hotels Aug 25/26, Bowie MD

I had fun and so did Anabel. Nice to meet those of you that I did for the first time, and nice to see everyone else!

Us Northeasters do need some judging help. I noticed even guys in sportsman (including me) were a little nervous to judge the upper classes. Not to mention the fact that Basic is huge right now.
whaturi is offline Find More Posts by whaturi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-29-2007, 06:21 AM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

I'd agree that we do need the judging help. I'd really like to see something a bit closer to PA though.
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Old 08-29-2007, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Pa
Joined Jan 2006
685 Posts

It's been a while since we had a judging seminar in the northeast so we definately could use one. Glad to hear that we might have two with John and Dave both possibly brewing something up.

In the mean time, I'd recommend two things to all those new to Imac or at least new to judging (assuming you've read through the rules: http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/...aerobatics.pdf )

One- Learn to read Aresti. It's one of those things that looks confusing but once you learn it you say, "That makes sense and it's a piece of cake." Trust me, we all went through the same thing. The last thing you want is to have to read a description of a maneuver only to look up to see that he's already half way through it! Learn to read aresti.

Two- Scribe several times at your very next Imac contest. I learned so much by sitting down and scribing for a seasoned judge(s). He was also nice enough to quietly whisper the downgrades to me as we both watch the maneuver and then told me the score. It was so helpful that I went up to that judge and asked him if he needed a scribe for the next rounds that he judged. Very, very helpful.

If anyone has any other recommendations, please add.

Thanks........Mark
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Old 08-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by kkling77
Flyin' Around
MD
Joined Sep 2006
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcastine View Post
Dave,

Thanks for another great weekend. I must say I was a little disappointed at not seeing the "wet towel-headed CD" this year....and thanks also for lending your plane to that guy who rarely ever flies IMAC contests so that he could kick our veteran butts with it. (Kurt you are one helluva pilot!) Hopefully next year with Steve assuming full CD duties you'll be flying too, so you can let Kurt beat you in Unlimited with your own plane!

Pete
Pete, thanks for the kind words. It was a good time competing against you and Igor. I'm hoping next year my equipment won't give up on me days before the event!! As for beating Dave in unlimited, I think I have a ways to go.
Dave, you put on one hell of a contest, as usual. Thanks again for letting me fly the "Carde"!!
kkling77 is offline Find More Posts by kkling77
Old 08-29-2007, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by hovermaster
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2006
341 Posts

Mark, I completely agree with you. I think that everybody flying IMAC especially if they are going to Judge, need to be able to read and understand aresti, as well as know the current rules for Judging which as you posted, can be found and printed from the link you provided. I usually even carry it with me. Personally, after reading the rule book I was shocked at some of the things that you do and do not get downgraded for. Besides, knowing what the judging criteria is will also make you a better, more informed pilot.

later
hovermaster is offline Find More Posts by hovermaster
Old 08-30-2007, 05:58 PM
Pa
Joined Jan 2006
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermaster View Post
Besides, knowing what the judging criteria is will also make you a better, more informed pilot.
Yep, my first contest years ago I just went out an flew. Never looked at the rules. I practiced with the help of a guy who use to fly pattern 18 years earlier. A little help but the 45 minutes to read through the rules would have been a lot more help. After flying the judges said I need to work on "centering" my rolls on the lines. "What the heck is centering" I thought.

P.S. If anyone is coming to the Water Gap contest and would like some help on the aresti, don't hesitate to pull me a side. I'll be there most of the day Friday as well as the weekend.

............Mark
Old 08-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Find More Posts by hovermaster
United States, VA
Joined Jan 2006
341 Posts

Yeah I know what you mean Mark. And as for the Water Gap contest, the same goes for me... we should actually arrange a semi-formal mini IMAC judging seminar of some sort friday night??
hovermaster is offline Find More Posts by hovermaster
Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by bubbagates
Anyone got a trash bag
E-Town, PA
Joined Jan 2006
1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovermaster View Post
we should actually arrange a semi-formal mini IMAC judging seminar of some sort friday night??
I'd definitely be interested in this
bubbagates is offline Find More Posts by bubbagates
Old 08-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Pa
Joined Jan 2006
685 Posts

Great idea Chris! I'll start another thread on the Northeast Imac topic section
( https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg199/ ) and see who all would be interested. All it takes is couple guys willing to want to learn!

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...tml#post293492
Last edited by OnTheEdge; 08-30-2007 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply