Old 05-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Find More Posts by tomtek
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Milledgeville
Joined May 2016
47 Posts
Discussion
extreme flight 78 inch extra 300

Can I get some suggestions on an electric motor for this aircraft.
tomtek is offline Find More Posts by tomtek
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Find More Posts by dmichael
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Jan 2006
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtek View Post
I have an e flite power 160 in mine and it's been great on 10s. Plenty of power. And only $150.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/power-16...45kv-eflm4160a

Extensive thread on rc groups on this plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1153557
dmichael is offline Find More Posts by dmichael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2016, 03:15 AM
Find More Posts by highflyer1508
NorCal
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
I have Hacker A60-5s on 8s 5000 70c. It's not great on power and I would go with 10s for sure. All the eflite motors I gave owned have been good quality.
highflyer1508 is offline Find More Posts by highflyer1508
Old 05-31-2016, 04:47 AM
Find More Posts by Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Hacker A60-8S on 12S will give you unlimited vertical and 7ish minutes of flight time with a 4000mah battery setup, you should get around 7000rpm and 72 amps with a 21x10, 3200Watts

Next is the Scorpion 5525-195, which will give you more power but less flight time with the same 4000mah battery setup, you should get around 7500rpm and 84amps with a 21x10, 3600Watts

Next is the Scorpion SII-5535 which will give the least flight time but crazy power, not sure on numbers but expect 4000Watts

There is also the Motrofly DM4330 which will fit somewhere between the first two and there is an AXI option as well as a turnigy.
Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy is offline Find More Posts by Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 AM
Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,357 Posts
Xpwr

Our new Xpwr motors are due to leave our factory mid June. The motor designated for the 78" Extra is the Xpwr 40cc. This motor will deliver 4400-4700 Watts depending on your battery's capability. It is designed to run on 12S 3700-5000 Mah batteries and uses a 22x10 prop. Power is in excess of 300 Watts/pound!
Here is some video of Jase flying my 78" Extra at the Nall with this power system. ESC is the Castle 120HV.
Extreme Flight 78" Extra 300 EXP with Xpwr 40cc (7 min 5 sec)

Here are some photos of the Xpwr 40cc mounted on the 78" Extra using our new Blazing Star standoff kit that will also be available at the time of the motor's release.

Ben Fisher and I have been working for 2 years on this project in an attempt to provide a very powerful and reliable plug and play electric solution for our aircraft. 4 new motors will be available, 30cc, 35cc, 40cc, and 60cc, We are very excited to get these new motors to market!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Old 05-31-2016, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
Any hints on the price? Looks expensive, but light, I don't expect hobbyking prices though. I think hacker is the closest to a design that is both ultra light and still practical to mount with high energy density.

If only I could afford to develop my motor ideas
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Last edited by Nutball; 05-31-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:06 PM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,357 Posts
Prices will be posted very soon. They will be very competitive.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:57 PM
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
Looks like the perfect motor has been found if you can wait till mid June
Old 06-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
Looks like the perfect motor has been found if you can wait till mid June
Bold statement and nothing against Mr EF but there is quite a few good offerings at the moment depending on what you want from an aircraft. Only time will tell if the XPWR range are better than anything from Hacker, AXI, Scorpion or Motrofly.

Hacker have proven to have various real world kV ratings compared to what is on the box. I would assume that unless EF have kept motor winding in house, then they will also more than likely suffer a similar fate. What this means is one motor may produce excellent results and the next not so excellent.

Having said that there is a small hole in between what companies have in their range and for the 78" range of aircraft, the 74" is pretty much sorted as is the 60" range. Hopefully the XPWR range will prove me wrong but if they are not hand wound in the states then I am afraid your perfect motor they just may not be.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
The second point of interest is what will the weight of the XPWR be, and what is the shaft size. The XPWR if producing 300W per pound will need to weigh around 900grams or less if it is to outperform the Scorpion SII 5535.

The XPWR sounds like it may be a class above the Scorpion perhaps, but at what weight penalty. An 8mm shaft has proven a little small for the rigors of 3D when swinging a 22 x 10 over the long term. I am guessing the weight to be over 1kg and those that like light and floaty will not find this the perfect motor.

The good news is that there will soon be a few new offerings on the market and from a reputable company, however it is far to early to call anything perfect as time and time in the air needs to be completed first.

I am excited for the new range, and am curious as to what the weights will come in at, the effeciency and the qaulity control.
Last edited by Marty_Mcfly - Ozzy; 06-01-2016 at 03:22 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:53 AM
EXTREME FLIGHT CEO
Cumming, Georgia
Joined Jan 2006
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The second point of interest is what will the weight of the XPWR be, and what is the shaft size. The XPWR if producing 300W per pound will need to weigh around 900grams or less if it is to outperform the Scorpion SII 5535.

The XPWR sounds like it may be a class above the Scorpion perhaps, but at what weight penalty. An 8mm shaft has proven a little small for the rigors of 3D when swinging a 22 x 10 over the long term. I am guessing the weight to be over 1kg and those that like light and floaty will not find this the perfect motor.

The good news is that there will soon be a few new offerings on the market and from a reputable company, however it is far to early to call anything perfect as time and time in the air needs to be completed first.

I am excited for the new range, and am curious as to what the weights will come in at, the effeciency and the qaulity control.
It sounds as if your are suggesting that Extreme Flight is not a reputable company. I believe our history here proves otherwise. FYI the Xpwr 40cc motor weighs 870.33 grams which includes the radial mount, prop adapter and bullet connectors. It has a 10mm shaft. Those who like "light and floaty" as well as fast and aggressive will really appreciate this motor in their 78" Extra, 83" MXS or similar models in this size. These motors have stood up to some serious abuse at the hands of Jase Dussia, There are very few pilots capable of punishing an airframe and power system to the degree that Jase does.
Of course time will tell, and we are only a few short weeks away from releasing them and then the modeling community can decide for themselves the merits of these new Xpwr motors.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,080 Posts
I loved the 78 Extra, I just had crummy powerplant setups at that time. This setup may may make me get another.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 06-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by bjohnson80
Wheeling, IL
Joined Aug 2006
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtek View Post
I have had a Scorpion 5525-225 in mine for 7 seasons now. 10S 5000, 20x13 prop (I fly mostly IMAC style with it) and I get about 3000 watts, which is plenty for an unlimited routine.

The new motors from EF look promising, and perhaps my old bird is due for an upgrade!
bjohnson80 is offline Find More Posts by bjohnson80
Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2016
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
It sounds as if your are suggesting that Extreme Flight is not a reputable company. I believe our history here proves otherwise. FYI the Xpwr 40cc motor weighs 870.33 grams which includes the radial mount, prop adapter and bullet connectors. It has a 10mm shaft. Those who like "light and floaty" as well as fast and aggressive will really appreciate this motor in their 78" Extra, 83" MXS or similar models in this size. These motors have stood up to some serious abuse at the hands of Jase Dussia, There are very few pilots capable of punishing an airframe and power system to the degree that Jase does.
Of course time will tell, and we are only a few short weeks away from releasing them and then the modeling community can decide for themselves the merits of these new Xpwr motors.
Not at all, allmost all my fleet is EF, it is not EF in which I do not trust it is the Chinese, and there is only so much efficiency that can be rung out of an electric motor.

Like I said, only time can tell if this motor is the in between motor the electric guys have been wishing for. There is currently some great offerings out there and there is difference between a hand and machine wound motor, even Hacker a very reptuable company have trouble getting consistent kV motors with their machine wounds.

My words are that of constructive criticism and a hope of finding that perfect motor, EF have proven air frames but an electric motor is somewhat a very different beast. A 10mm shaft is definitely promising, let us hope these motors live up to what what the guys want, they certainly look the goods!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:38 AM
Joined Jul 2014
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTREME FLIGHT View Post
I don't think he is suggesting EF is not a reputable company. Just stating the fact that it has supposedly happened in the past with other good brands that some poorly wound or rated motors made it through. I could see someone on the assembly line even in the US loosing count on the windings, but it is not hard to prevent incorrect windings.

I noticed the hollowed hub, and the weight seems to be competitive as long as the EF power ratings and competition's ratings are accurate, maybe even whether or not they are accurate. What are the conditions for this roughly 4550W rating including airflow speed, in or out of cowl, Amps, over what length of time to what temperature? I'd say the watts, amps, time, and temp numbers are the most significant in comparing power ratings because some brands rate based on a short term run, and the cooling conditions could be different. A long term 4500W would mean you could 3D even a 100cc model, I pushed my turnigy ca80 (50-80cc equivalent) hard around 4000W and it would get very hot, but it hauled my 22lb bipe around well.

Quick Reply