Find More Posts by javierkc
Super Contributor
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts
Re: OMP Yak 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
What a nice plane, I would like one with a BME 116 7955 all around. To bad the shipping to Canada is not much of an option. Worst is that I was in Cleveland 3 weeks ago, flying a Bell 412 helicopter back home. Subscribed

I can understand you! I live in Puerto Rico (caribbean) and the freights to here are expensier that to the USA but not so much as many people thinks, but for make it worst most of the sellers dont like to give you the better option for shipping, they only stands in one, most of the time the easier for them wich is mainly not the cheaper, what I had opted in big items like planes is to ask them for a quote to a specific piont in the USA and then hired a second company to transport the item to Puerto Rico via Ocean Freight, and beleive me, it is a lot cheaper that way, For example a month ago I brought this OMP Yak 55 and the shipping to Puerto Rico, including the truck and ocean freight was $194.00 wich I beleive it's a good deal. You can do the same to Canada hiring you a truck freight company, just ask them for the dimensions and weight for the box and call as many freight companys as you can. Good luck!!
javierkc is offline Find More Posts by javierkc
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-04-2009, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by Salmon
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by choopi View Post
What a nice plane, I would like one with a BME 116 7955 all around. To bad the shipping to Canada is not much of an option. Worst is that I was in Cleveland 3 weeks ago, flying a Bell 412 helicopter back home. Subscribed
We have been able to successfully ship a few of these using Greyhound which is about half the normal shipping prices. Only thing is you have to go the nearest bus station to pick it up. If this is an option just give us a call for details.
Salmon is offline Find More Posts by Salmon
Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by 3drickie
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts

My canister set up. I had to open it up. Engine is a 3W106CS with 2 x MTW TD90K. It's tight but it fits.

3drickie is offline Find More Posts by 3drickie
Last edited by 3drickie; 12-04-2009 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
666 Posts

Sweet setup! Like the fuel tank setup too!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by teedee
Charlotte, NC 28214
Joined Jan 2006
182 Posts

You will LOVE that engine , I have one in my QQ Yak and it is a MONSTER !!!
teedee is offline Find More Posts by teedee
Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
10,941 Posts

I really like the setup! Cant wait to see how my yak will perform with a lighter engine. Hopefully soon I will have a new motor.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 12-07-2009, 05:49 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts

I used that engine in a X-treme composite Edge 2.6m and your right it is a beast. I lost that plane because of a total signal loss. That's why the canisters are a little bumpy. The only problem is that it's a little heavy. And though I have all the servos in the back, I still have a problem with my CG. I need to put my bateries somewhere in the back of the plane. The nose of the plane could have been made a little shorter, even for the lighter single-cylinder-engines. But that's just my opinion.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
666 Posts

The cool thing about teh new OMP/EG Aircraft Extras and Yaks is that we put servo mounts in the back of the fuselage for a rudder servo optional location. This is great when you have a heavy engine and want to move weight back. Plus you can use push/pull hard linkages and in my opinion that is a way better setup than pull pull cables!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:24 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts

You're right Mike. I had first some doubts if it would work. But it works fine, and I agree that it's better than the pull pull cables.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by javierkc
Super Contributor
Humacao, Puerto Rico
Joined Feb 2009
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon View Post
The cool thing about teh new OMP/EG Aircraft Extras and Yaks is that we put servo mounts in the back of the fuselage for a rudder servo optional location. This is great when you have a heavy engine and want to move weight back. Plus you can use push/pull hard linkages and in my opinion that is a way better setup than pull pull cables!
That's right mike! I placed mine in the back for a push pull configuration,(my Mintor is a little bit heavier that a DA-100L) 6.7 lbs with mufflers, ignition and prop bolts, this is much better and stronger than the pull pull (cable) system, with this system you dont have to adjust nothing (eventually) like the cable system. And you eliminate the probability of a broken cable.
javierkc is offline Find More Posts by javierkc
Old 12-09-2009, 08:40 PM
Dayton OH
Joined Jun 2006
666 Posts

Bingo. I love my push-pull setup on my 100cc Yak 55. I definately get more power and resolution delivered to the rudder than with cables.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by thaus
Flyin' Around
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Jul 2006
24 Posts

I fly in Florida with a comp arf which has exposed cans and get 140* temperatures in my receiver and servos, Since I am concerned about the high temperatures, I will need to keep the can tunnel closed. It does not look feasible to attach the can mount to the landing gear bracket since that would be too far forward on the cans. In other words if I use a single can mount it should be in the middle of the can, not way up front. That means the tunnel has to be opened up and support for the mount has to be found. I guess I could glue in tri stock on both sides of the mount and attach that to the tunnel sides. Does that make sense?
It looks difficult to make that bracket with the silicon tubing cutouts.
What is the easiest way to cut out the tunnel ceiling? A dremel disc will not work because the tool is too long to fit across the fuse.
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Old 12-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2009
5 Posts

Well first I made a big hole with the dremel . Cut it loos at the front and back. Then I could break it loose(carefuly) from the sidewall and took it out and did afterwards some sanding.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 PM
Find More Posts by thaus
Flyin' Around
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Jul 2006
24 Posts

What did you do about venting the bottom of the plane to cool the cans?
thaus is offline Find More Posts by thaus
Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
10,941 Posts

I just used a hobby knife and heated up the knife with a soldering iron and cut away the covering that the cans were over. Make sure you cut out enough holes out of the bottom of the cowl for cooling and for air to flow in and out.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid