TWISTED, FALCON,PULSE,MKS,RCFL
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts
Discussion
Fokker DR-1 by Twisted Hobbys

Twisted Hobbys - Crack Fokker

Product Description

We're breaking all the rules again with the Crack Fokker! Twisted Hobbys has taken the feel and concept of WWI flying machines and daredevil pilots to fantastic new places. Envisioned in the demented mind of Twisted addict Steve Marble, designed and drawn by Cody Wojcik, and realized by RC Factory, the Crack Fokker combines 3D flying, WWI dogfighting, a huge speed range, and silly aerobatics for more fun than you can imagine.

With a whole new set of flight characteristics the Crack Fokker is like no other model we have. Loops are beyond tight and roll rate is extremely axial and quick for the amount of wing area. That huge wing area means that speeds range from surprisingly brisk to so slow it looks like a camera trick. The fun doesn’t stop there...with dual aileron servos you can even add mixing for multiple flap settings for tail-high slow speed passes and and even tighter loops than any other model. The Crack Fokker is pure flying fun in a way that nobody has experienced before.

Paint and art work was inspired by one of the classic schemes, keeping true to the Fokker's roots. Like all Twisted Hobbys models quality is superior and building is a pleasure with the latest hardware that eliminates excess weight while removing any unwanted play from all the control surface connections.

Twisted Hobbys as always has spent time selecting the correctly matched electronics for the Crack Fokker, available as a convenient power combo. Recommended stock setup is 2s 600-800mah w/ 9x4.7 or 3s 450-600mah w/ 8x4DD for advanced pilots. Enjoy the look of a classic Fokker Dr.1 with flight characteristics you have only dreamed of!
Model Spec’s:

Wing Span = 35”
Length = 34”
AUW = 8.8 oz.

Recommended Required Electronics:

24-26g 1400-1500kv Out Runner Brush-less Motor
10-20A ESC
(4) 7-9g Servos
2s 600mah Lipo Battery
9x4.7 Slow Fly Prop

For Sale now on the Twisted Hobbys' Website!

Crack Fokker Product Link: https://twistedhobbys.com/35-epp-cra...dr-1-triplane/
Use the link above for access videos, manual, additional model specs and of course to purchase
rolling circle is offline Find More Posts by rolling circle
Last edited by rolling circle; 08-12-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-12-2016, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by DR10044
George
United States, KY, Elizabethtown
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Love Fokkers! Mine came in the brown truck today. Got home late so I have not unboxed it yet. Just ordered a micro/park flyer receiver for it.

I went with the 3s package.

Looking forward to getting it in the air. Need something to fly in the back yard.
DR10044 is offline Find More Posts by DR10044
Old 08-12-2016, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by rolling circle
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts
Twisted Hobbys' does it again - Meet the Crack Fokker Dr.1

Please note - initial kits by the team members were built without instructions... yea, that's right... lol... in any case just wanted to let you all know that, so when you see something a little different about yours, that is okay... I went thru the TH manual after it was released and it is all there for a successful build.... Enjoy..!

First Impressions:
When I seen the box on my door step it was bigger than expected for a 35" model. Once inside the house and having a chance to bust into the package it was obvious why... lots of parts... of course three wings, that is just crazy. In the end though a pretty easy build.
The Build:
Other than there being more wings and some fancy landing gear, this builds just like any other Twisted Hobbys foamie. A couple points of interest would be;
1.) I used FoamTac for the first time... nice alternative to Welders. FoamTac pretty much every where except on the carbon to foam joints where I used either thin or med. CA depending on the situation.
2.) pay special attention to how the vertical wing struts assemble
3.) take you time with the landing gear. You will need to enlarge the slots a little in the bottom wing, and then trim the ends where the axle attaches to match. Get everything squared up before hitting it with the glue... seems spindly and first, but quite robust in the end.
4.) when locating electronics try and put everything as far forward as possible.
5.) cloth scarf is of course something I added. Just trim away the foam one, clear the foam around the pilot's neck and attach a strip of cloth, really looks great in the air.
Radio Setup:
This is a two servo wing, so pick that option in your radio. With the servo horns shown in the manual you should be around 100 to 120 percent on the servo setup. Also, program in the flaps. Put them on a switch and mix them with elevator, you will be glad you did.. way too much fun to loop this machine in the space of it's own airframe.
Flying the Crack Fokker:
With the landing gear you can take off from a variety of surfaces, but if needed launching like any other 3D foamie is super easy, hold it in your hand pointing up about 45 degrees, add throttle and it will fly right out of your hands.
If you have the CG right, approx 50mm from LE of top wing, you should have pretty neutral flight upright or inverted. KE will require a little elevator, but virtually no rudder to hold altitude.. lol..! Don't be afraid to try you most extreme 3D stunt with it... you will be surprised.If you are however just a sunday sport flier, it putts around the park with unbelievable presences and you will get a ton of attention.
Initial reports on 2s batteries and 3s batteries are equally favorable. If you have the option, try them both. Just be sure and size your props accordingly, 2s takes 9in props and 3s you need to use 8in props. We are using some elevator to flap mixing at about 60% to get insanely tight loops. Flaps on a three position switch for two different levels of deflection really slow this thing down for a smooth floating experience.
In Summary;
This is a great looking model. I built mine in three evenings, it may take a little more or less depending on your skill level, but there is nothing hard about it. Follow the directions, if something doesn't make sense look it over closer before adding the glue.

The battery will end up pretty far forward, almost directly behind the firewall. Using a 600 to 850 mAh size battery has been the battery of choice for the Team Members, and you will be able to back that off a little, airframe handles the weight just fine and you will get some nice flight times.

Enjoy the model... The build is fun and I'm quite sure that the flying is like no other plane you have on hand. I'm looking forward to seeing posts and comments from everyone else that is into adding a 3D WWI Crack Fokker to their hanger.

Next up, video
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 PM
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts
Great news DR10044. You will like the build and love the flying even more. It is floaty and lets you do a lot of cool stuff once you get your radio set up (which takes almost no time at all). Best of luck with yours and if you have questions, PM or post a question here. Be glad to help you out!
Old 08-12-2016, 09:52 PM
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts

Team pilot videos from Aaron Griffin and Benton Griffin

Hope you enjoy these. More to come in the next few weeks.

Totally Twisted Fokker (3 min 49 sec)

Twisted Hobbys Crack Fokker Airplane (2 min 1 sec)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:37 PM
George
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling circle View Post
Great news DR10044. You will like the build and love the flying even more. It is floaty and lets you do a lot of cool stuff once you get your radio set up (which takes almost no time at all). Best of luck with yours and if you have questions, PM or post a question here. Be glad to help you out!
Thanks, once I saw the video on your site I had to have one!
Old 08-12-2016, 10:39 PM
George
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
In the video, do you have all the ailerons dropped as flaps on the take-off?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55 PM
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts
DR, yes, I have a DX18 and I put flaps on a 3 position switch so I'm running position 1 as 35% down and position 0 as 60% down.

It's very cool.

Also doing Elevator to Flap mix on a two position switch so you get 45% flaps at full pull on elevator. And this mix works backwards too, as in, push will give you the anti-flaps
Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 AM
Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2015
97 Posts
Nice Thread Rolling Circle. Since you fly IMAC contests would it make a good backyard IMAC plane to practice with since it flies slow yet can handle some wind too? I am sure enjoying hucking with it. I thinking more IMAC would be fun too.
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Old 08-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
Ordered mine Thursday night. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

First thing I'm going to do is re-paint it red!
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 08-13-2016, 06:57 AM
George
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling circle View Post
DR, yes, I have a DX18 and I put flaps on a 3 position switch so I'm running position 1 as 35% down and position 0 as 60% down.

It's very cool.

Also doing Elevator to Flap mix on a two position switch so you get 45% flaps at full pull on elevator. And this mix works backwards too, as in, push will give you the anti-flaps
You have made the "Baron" proud I am sure! A Fokker with flaps, they would have won the war. Lol.

Thanks for the idea. Can't wait to try it.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2015
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnshopmike View Post
Ordered mine Thursday night. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

First thing I'm going to do is re-paint it red!
Does that mean you are painting your Red Baron and eating pizza as you fly
Benton3dflying is offline Find More Posts by Benton3dflying
Old 08-13-2016, 02:52 PM
United States, MD, Balt
Joined Nov 2013
490 Posts
Benton, as far as IMAC patterns go, the Fokker could do some basic and sportsman sequence for sure with no problem. You would no doubt want to use a very low rate unless you're doing a snap or something. My throws are pretty silly big and the rudder authority is exceptional on this plane. You would want to dial it back a bit

PawnShopMike, thanks for posting. Can't wait to hear about your build and flying once you get it in the air. We can swap notes on radio settings and stuff. If you need help during the build, just ask. You know where to find me

DR, LOL... for sure. If they had invented flaps for the Fokker they would be taking off and landing on the grocery store parking lots
Old 08-13-2016, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts
Just finished mine. Took it out for quick maiden even though it's blowing 10mph here. It's gonna be a blast.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benton3dflying View Post
Does that mean you are painting your Red Baron and eating pizza as you fly
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike