logo
Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by grumman-cats
blue skies everyone
Leslie, MI.
Joined Sep 2007
241 Posts
35% aerotech extra 300 build

I have on order a 35% extra 300 midwing kit from aerotech models and thought that I would start a thread on it's construction. Now with that said, if anyone has any helpful hints that will help me along in this process I would love to hear them. This will be my first aircraft of this size so it's a little new to me. I would love to design an mx-2 in the future but right now I have to learn the building techniques for the big ones.

So if anyone knows of any pitfalls that can be avoided please let me know and I'll try and keep everyone posted as I go through this.

Jim
grumman-cats is offline Find More Posts by grumman-cats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by iflyrc3Dstyle
Shane Quale
Necedah, WI
Joined Mar 2006
768 Posts
Re: 35% aerotech extra 300 build

Hello Jim,

I will be following this one. I just love these build threads. I have heard nothing but good on the Aerotech kits. Good Luck!
iflyrc3Dstyle is offline Find More Posts by iflyrc3Dstyle
Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 AM
Find More Posts by "X" Rated
Around the world at mach .92
Hurricane alley
Joined Feb 2006
647 Posts

Hello Jim. Ive been sponsored by Aerotech since 02 or so. I fly the 40% version. Great planes and a great company to be with. You will truly enjoy this plane. Just look at this past years Nats finishers! The plane balances out at center gravity out of the box and flies very true and hands off on maiden. Little mixing is needed on knife edge and downline (like a percent or two). Dont build yours with counter balances in the stabs. The proto had them. I think the plans have been corrected. It doesnt need them and its easier to cover the stabs. The original 300 from Aerotech had them and it was an oversight. The full scale doesnt have them. We havent tried one with 2 rudder servos in the tail yet, but who knows. Doesnt quite fly like a 40%er, but not like a 35% either. Your control inputs are like "right now". Its very fast and locks in to every maneuver you put it through. Even snaps stop at a full snap and not 3/4. You will trully dig this bird!!!!!!!! Did I mention that its very fast? because it is. Breaks on spins are righ on, and it still goes like an arrow. All this said, it slows to a crawl on landings. A real pilots airplane. John hit his measurements accurately with this one! Enjoy and have a ball!!!
"X" Rated is offline Find More Posts by "X" Rated
Old 09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
blue skies everyone
Leslie, MI.
Joined Sep 2007
241 Posts

That is exactly what I wanted to hear. My original plan was to go with a edge 540 but was told that the extra breaks into spins alot better. That was good info on the elevator balances becouse I was intent on building them into the aircraft but if it doesn't make an improvement then there really isn't a point in going through the extra work. Do you know what the real aircraft used to balance the elevators. I know it uses the small airfoil on the bottom of the ailerons but not sure about the elevators. Oh, and by the way the size will fit my trailer alittle better.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by wcknight
craigk
Sault Ste Marie Ontario
Joined Apr 2007
63 Posts

I'm thinking of exactly the same plane for next season also

What equipment are you considering?
Servos?
Power?
wcknight is offline Find More Posts by wcknight
Last edited by wcknight; 09-23-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:18 AM
Find More Posts by capcanuck
CapCanuck
Sudbury, Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts

Craig, i thought you'd see this one! Follow closely!
Capcanuk
capcanuck is offline Find More Posts by capcanuck
Old 09-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by wcknight
craigk
Sault Ste Marie Ontario
Joined Apr 2007
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcanuck View Post
Craig, i thought you'd see this one! Follow closely!
Capcanuk
I'm on it

Any of those in Sudbury want an Edge?
wcknight is offline Find More Posts by wcknight
Old 09-24-2007, 06:04 AM
blue skies everyone
Leslie, MI.
Joined Sep 2007
241 Posts

I plan to use the DA-100 for power but as far as the electronics go I'm not sure. I run futaba and would like the new fasst 12 channel that is out but I can't afford that as of yet. This is my first time building something of this size so not sure what servo's to install so I'll be asking for alot of help in this area so feel free to chime in everyone.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by capcanuck
CapCanuck
Sudbury, Ontario,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts

Good choice on planes! I would go with Hitec 5955's on all major surfaces (two on rudder) smartfly power expander (the all in one model with built in reg and ig. cutoff looks taylor made for this) 2- 2800 LiIon (I use TBM and Fromeco, both are great) for expander power, and one on ignition with adj. reg set to 5.2v. If you are doing 3D you might want 4800 packs, but I can fly at least 12 flights of Intermediate with 3 times through the sequence each time and have plenty of juice left for a safety margin ( re-charge at 7.2 volts under load).
If you can swing a couple of I4C or other LCD voltmeters these are fantastic for constant volt check of the flying batteries...no need for loaded voltmeter.
I will show you a pic of my setup in my 35% AW Extra 260. It's simple, and after about 250 flights you can say pretty reliable too!

Capcanuck
capcanuck is offline Find More Posts by capcanuck
Old 09-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Find More Posts by airbusmech
Keeping them flying!!
StoneyCreek, Ontario ,Canada
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts

Craig and Lee,

Good to see you guys over here.I am also interested in this build.Can't wait!

Ralph
airbusmech is offline Find More Posts by airbusmech
Old 09-24-2007, 10:34 PM
blue skies everyone
Leslie, MI.
Joined Sep 2007
241 Posts

capcanuck

-What is the power expander? Is it for the liIon batteries to prevent them from going to low.
-Does anyone have opinions on the different muffler systems for the DA-100, I would like to be able to add smoke at some point in the future without having to buy another muffler. I've seen alot of guys going with the canister type and they do seem to be quieter but what is there power output.
-I have also heard alot of good things about the Hitec servos. Are they better than futaba gear or just more cost friendly?

Like I said in the beginning, I will have alot of basic questions. This could be a good thread for alot of guys just starting out. The internet is great for gaining knowledge quickly.
Also if you guys have photo's of your aerotech extras I would love to see them.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumman-cats View Post
capcanuck

-What is the power expander? Is it for the liIon batteries to prevent them from going to low.
-Does anyone have opinions on the different muffler systems for the DA-100, I would like to be able to add smoke at some point in the future without having to buy another muffler. I've seen alot of guys going with the canister type and they do seem to be quieter but what is there power output.
-I have also heard alot of good things about the Hitec servos. Are they better than futaba gear or just more cost friendly?

Like I said in the beginning, I will have alot of basic questions. This could be a good thread for alot of guys just starting out. The internet is great for gaining knowledge quickly.
Also if you guys have photo's of your aerotech extras I would love to see them.

1) Power Expander---takes voltage from your batteries (preferrably LION but doesn't have to be) and isolates each channel (or servo). Then gives each servo a constant power (say 6v). Then the RX gets a filtered signal of 5V. Reduces chances of backfeed interference and keeps all servos with a constant voltage. Some versions also have a Battery share which when running 2 batteries will drain them equally. For more info see www.smart-fly.com

2a) Don't run DA but mufflers are pretty standard. When you get mufflers just ask for the smoke mufflers. They will have a smoke nipple and coils inside the muffler. You can use the nipple for smoke or leave it alone. Works fine either way
2b) Cannisters may or may not increase power. Tuned pipes tend to increase power. Biggest advantage with both is less noise and better midrange. Disadvantage is weight. After flying with Cans.......I won't go back to straight pipes. Cannister and tuned pipes also tend to come with smoke nipples

3) Me and Hitec don't get along. I've never liked the servos. I use JR. Honestly you need to decide for yourself between JR/Futaba/Hitec. There are horror stories with each company and great stories with each company. Best advice........fly what your friends have, that way you can borrow or lend parts when needed.

Here's some Aerotech photos.

35% Edge 540

Name: 100_3915.jpg
Views: 274
Size: 232.9 KB
Description:

42% Extra 300

Name: Picture_148_Large_.jpg
Views: 221
Size: 53.1 KB
Description:
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 09-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by gforce
Southeast USA
Joined Jan 2006
751 Posts

That 300 seems to be very solid,what choice of engines are you guys running
gforce is offline Find More Posts by gforce
Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts

In mine (42%) I have a Cactus Aviaiton 3W157CS on Pefa cans. Its a stump puller!

on my 35% I have a 3W106b2
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 09-25-2007, 10:50 PM
Find More Posts by 40%plane
Florida
Joined Jan 2006
394 Posts

Hey guys,

Man you could not ahve chose a better plane to build. I personally have not built that particular airframe but have flown the one built and ownerd by Rob at Aerotech. I competed in the o6 JR challenge with a 40% yak 54 and freestyle with the 40% extra borrowed from my buddy John Nelon. I now have my own and love it. Let me know if you have any question and I will see what I can help you with.

Mike
40%plane is offline Find More Posts by 40%plane

Quick Reply