Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackdl View Post
I am by no means an expert, I've been working on the rolling Harrier myself. I realized the reason I had a strong tendency to turn to the left while rolling right was because I was putting in the controls too early. Four example I was giving left rudder too early before the plane was in knife edge, I gave down elevator to early before the plane was inverted. I realized I was doing this for every surface direction and as a result the plane was turning left. I was able to correct this by concentrating on the first input which is left rudder when you are rolling to the right. I concentrated on having the input symmetrical about the knife edge. Once I was able to do this it seemed as though all the other inputs where delayed the same amount and as a result I was able to go straight down the runway. I have been spending about 20 minutes a day on the simulator throughout this winter to get to this point. When I got to the field and tried it in real life I found that I could still go straight down the runway.

Hope this is of some help.
I have finally started to get the hang of this on the sim except I am struggling with the tight circles some. I can do longer slower rolls much nicer. I am hoping to put it into practice at the field soon. I realize just how critical timing really is.

At first I thought I would never figure out what I was doing wrong. I was all over the place. What triggered it for me was I was watching one of bone doc's vids and I heard him say that he made sure he did not do stick input until the side of the plane started or was facing him. That rang the bell for me!

After hearing him say that I started processing the stick better. I am still very rough with one stick direction though, but each time I am getting better and better. The other direction I am reasonably quick and smooth now and sometimes I can do some nice rolling circles on the sim. Still got a long ways to go though to build in strong confidence in all stick movements.

I am psyched though because I am doing way more than I ever expected at age 62. Don't let 'em say us older guys cannot fire on a cylinder or two every now and then
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,258 Posts
That's what I tend to do as well. I "key" off the part of the roll where the planes wings are vertical.
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
+1
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 02-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by King Snake
Inverted!
Navarre, FL
Joined Sep 2008
77 Posts
The goal is should be to get where you fly the plane throughout the rolling harrier. What I mean is if you only use timing or a singe sight cue it will be difficult to deal with changes in roll speed due to stalls, snaps, wind, or airspeed by starting with a slow roll and mastering that (entire flight with controlled maneuvers and perfectly straight lines) a mental sight picture develops allowing small corrections to take place because your brain understands where the plane is, and where it should be. This makes rolling harriers much easier and way prettier, and controlled (with the tail down and not moving, usually an indicator of correct input and input magnitude). Or at least that's the way it happened for me. Plus it makes it way easier to know when to knock it off because things don't look right.
King Snake is offline Find More Posts by King Snake
Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Find More Posts by Luchnia
Word up!
United States, VA, Amelia Court House
Joined Oct 2010
2,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Snake View Post
The goal is should be to get where you fly the plane throughout the rolling harrier. What I mean is if you only use timing or a singe sight cue it will be difficult to deal with changes in roll speed due to stalls, snaps, wind, or airspeed by starting with a slow roll and mastering that (entire flight with controlled maneuvers and perfectly straight lines) a mental sight picture develops allowing small corrections to take place because your brain understands where the plane is, and where it should be. This makes rolling harriers much easier and way prettier, and controlled (with the tail down and not moving, usually an indicator of correct input and input magnitude). Or at least that's the way it happened for me. Plus it makes it way easier to know when to knock it off because things don't look right.
This makes sense to me. I always fly better when I have the end point in mind. Thanks for the info. It is like being out in front of the plane at all times.

I have heard guys say that they can tell when someone flies behind the plane in more of a reactive mode and not in front of the plane in a controlled mode. After you have done it a while that starts to sink in.
Luchnia is offline Find More Posts by Luchnia
Old 02-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by jimmitch
United States, NY, Rome
Joined Sep 2008
185 Posts
Subed
jimmitch is offline Find More Posts by jimmitch
Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by riche
United States, GA, Trenton
Joined Jan 2017
136 Posts
Got to know when to roll and know when to bail!
for me its usally bail
riche is offline Find More Posts by riche
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,617 Posts
When in doubt, power out.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy

Quick Reply