logo
Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by anders e
Joined Jan 2008
2,257 Posts
Re: 60% BH EXTRA, HOW BIG IS TOO BIG ?

Hi Elie.
A great snap a saurus BIG bird you have there.
Looking forward to the pictures/videos.

When will you maiden it?

BAD ASS!
anders e is offline Find More Posts by anders e
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Ed Hornbuckle
Texas, United States of North Mexico
Joined Jul 2007
270 Posts

Nice... but I am going to wait until the 62% comes out.
Ed Hornbuckle is offline Find More Posts by Ed Hornbuckle
Old 02-13-2009, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Tikka
Tryin to fly
Norway
Joined Jan 2007
302 Posts

This is how I will do mine.

I'll use the new 403oz/inch servos from Hitec on the ailrons, and elevators. I will devide the plane in two, using one battery for each side. I will connect alle the red and black wires from the right wing into one deans.

The two servos in the right elevator will have the same setup, and share one deans. I will also use a Smart Fly Equalizer for each elevator, to sync the servos, and make only one cable run to the receiver fromeach elevator.

The four signal cables from the wing will also run straight into the receiver. Same goes for left side. Then I'll use a Seiko on the rudder, it will have its own battery ofcourse. Choke and throttle servo will go straight into the receiver, I guess it will have no problem handling those two servos. I use a Futaba 14MZ, so there is no problem setting up a model with 8 aileron channels and two elevator channels. I will still have a spear channel for smoke

One small 5 cell Nicd pack 2200 mah to the receiver, and 7.4 v Lipo 5200 mah on each half of the model, serving 7 servos each. A two cell A123 pack for ignition. No powerbox at all, justt use a Hitec servo programmer and off we go. Save some bucks, and a litte weight. And the new Hitec servos can handle a 7.4 v Lipo without a regulator.

So when I want to fly, I connect 4 deans to the batteries after I fire up the receiver, and ready to run. No switch, one less thing to worry about.

This setup may seem stupid, but this is how we have done our 40 and 50% planes the last year, and with no issues, what so ever. Simple and safe, just the way I like it.

Elie: Is it possible for you to give me the measurements of the box the model arrived in, so that I can find out what the shipping cost will be? I'll also need the total weight. If you don't have it, I'll ask Bill. This will be awsome, thats for sure
Tikka is offline Find More Posts by Tikka
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Elie,

I think you need two 4400 Duralite LIMN batteries. Discharge is HIGH 20C and Chrage rate is 10C, non flammable and you can tell the state of charge at any time. LiPos are great too but you would always feel uncomfortable leaving them on charge without being present plus the fact you can damage the cells by over discharging where the LIMN can go to no voltage status and still be charged up to full capacity! Just a suggestion.

Show us some hover video soon with that prop wash you may have a hard time walking to the plane LOL
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza
Old 02-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by selleri
Icelandic Volcano Yeti
Keflavik, Iceland
Joined Aug 2006
493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
Elie: Is it possible for you to give me the measurements of the box the model arrived in, so that I can find out what the shipping cost will be? I'll also need the total weight. If you don't have it, I'll ask Bill. This will be awsome, thats for sure
Steady now Knut, you don't want to dry out the national oil fund just to pay for the shipping of this monster

You can resist the temptation... oh what the heck... go for it!
selleri is offline Find More Posts by selleri
Old 02-13-2009, 12:33 PM
Find More Posts by jimbomilligan
Long Island, NY
Joined Feb 2006
1,448 Posts

awsome!! Dude! Does she fit in the pimped out trailor of yours??
jimbomilligan is offline Find More Posts by jimbomilligan
Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomilligan View Post
No, he's gonna instead use the plane to tow his scooter to the field.
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 02-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Mike, Elie,

I am totally with you on the 5000 MaH LiPo packs or if your into A123's then they are OK as well.

The Li Ion packs will drop out with that many servos almost without doubt. Given that I know how Snap likes to fly he sure as heck uses some serious control inputs and lots of servo power.

I dont know how you would rig your setup with a power-box to use twin large packs for the flying surfaces and a single pack dedicated to the receiver only. But that certainly is the best way to power this thing up.

Also Elie going with two 5000 Mah LiPos is a whole lot less weight that doubling up with Li Ions. I am also sure the boys at Fromeco could knock you up some custom A123 packs.
Kiwi, the LiIons are out, now I have to decide on Lipos or A123.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzw26n View Post
Elie,

FlightPower makes a complete set-up with 7.4V Li-po's & Regulators, hudge power. I think DSP can help you out on a package.
Thanks Ward, I will talk to Dave if I go with the Lipos, I will not need regulators because I will be using the powerbox,

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheEdge View Post
Elie, have you thought of dividing the plane into "front and back" halves in respects to the radio/battery install? In other words, have two 5200mah Li-ions, one or two Rx, a power box of sorts and all the tail servos located in the tail. And then another similar set up up front for all the aileron/throttle/choke servos.

With a standard set up, you will probably see large voltage drop in the 6 - 8 foot servo wires going to the tail. If you separate the front from the back, you could get away with much smaller extentions and even all the rudder servos plugged directly in the power box.

If balance is an issue with a fore/aft set up, then just have the batteries upfront and run heavy gauge wire to the tail only where it feeds they Rx/power box/ servos back there.

Just a thought.
Mark, I gave the thought of splitting the plane front and back, Powerbox + 2 R1221 receivers front running ailerons, throtle, choke and smoke and an R1222 powersafe receiver in the back, the reason for the setup I choose is to keep it simple but nothing is final yet, I will take my time deciding, meanwhile I will continue to install servos and linkages, thanks for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
MY GAWD MAN.... I can't wait to see that plane hovering ...

If any plane ever said "I need to belong to Snap A Saurus" this one SCREAMS it!
Sleepy, I hope I will not dissapoint
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phippsj View Post
Elie,

Are we going to see this plane at Joe Nall?
Yes if it makes it that far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMatt View Post
OH MY GAWD... that thing is huge.

I agree... but also once the batteries can keep up with the aperage, the regs wont. I would highly recommend the A123's, and no regs. Or you'll have to run 4 regs.

matt
Matt, I am running the Powerbox royal so I am not using regs but it looks like the LiIons are not enough for all these servos, I never thought I would ever consider 123 but I am now, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders e View Post
Hi Elie.
A great snap a saurus BIG bird you have there.
Looking forward to the pictures/videos.

When will you maiden it?

BAD ASS!
Thanks, as soon as I finish I will maiden, probably in about One month maybe a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Hornbuckle View Post
Nice... but I am going to wait until the 62% comes out.
You're in for a long wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
This is how I will do mine.

I'll use the new 403oz/inch servos from Hitec on the ailrons, and elevators. I will devide the plane in two, using one battery for each side. I will connect alle the red and black wires from the right wing into one deans.

The two servos in the right elevator will have the same setup, and share one deans. I will also use a Smart Fly Equalizer for each elevator, to sync the servos, and make only one cable run to the receiver fromeach elevator.

The four signal cables from the wing will also run straight into the receiver. Same goes for left side. Then I'll use a Seiko on the rudder, it will have its own battery ofcourse. Choke and throttle servo will go straight into the receiver, I guess it will have no problem handling those two servos. I use a Futaba 14MZ, so there is no problem setting up a model with 8 aileron channels and two elevator channels. I will still have a spear channel for smoke

One small 5 cell Nicd pack 2200 mah to the receiver, and 7.4 v Lipo 5200 mah on each half of the model, serving 7 servos each. A two cell A123 pack for ignition. No powerbox at all, justt use a Hitec servo programmer and off we go. Save some bucks, and a litte weight. And the new Hitec servos can handle a 7.4 v Lipo without a regulator.

So when I want to fly, I connect 4 deans to the batteries after I fire up the receiver, and ready to run. No switch, one less thing to worry about.

This setup may seem stupid, but this is how we have done our 40 and 50% planes the last year, and with no issues, what so ever. Simple and safe, just the way I like it.

Tikka
I am not good at electronics, the best way for me is to keep it as simple as possible, your setup has worked in many planes and isn't stupid at all and should work in a 60% but like I said I would like to keep it as simple as possible and safe at the same time as for the box measurements, I will measure it when I get home and PM you the results.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by flynbye
willoughby ohio
Joined Feb 2008
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap a saurus View Post

Scot, you bet I am going to be nervous, just looking at it now makes me nervous.
hey just put a pice of coal between your butt cheeks by the time the flight ends you will have a new diamond for your wife
flynbye is offline Find More Posts by flynbye
Old 02-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Jan 2006
730 Posts

3-d flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3-d flyer
Old 02-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza View Post
Elie,

I think you need two 4400 Duralite LIMN batteries. Discharge is HIGH 20C and Chrage rate is 10C, non flammable and you can tell the state of charge at any time. LiPos are great too but you would always feel uncomfortable leaving them on charge without being present plus the fact you can damage the cells by over discharging where the LIMN can go to no voltage status and still be charged up to full capacity! Just a suggestion.

Show us some hover video soon with that prop wash you may have a hard time walking to the plane LOL
Reza, I always felt uncomfortable with the Lipos, that's why I stayed away from them, the LIMN seem to be the way to go and probably most of the flying pictures will be HOOVERING pictures
Quote:
Originally Posted by selleri View Post
Steady now Knut, you don't want to dry out the national oil fund just to pay for the shipping of this monster

You can resist the temptation... oh what the heck... go for it!
Believe me it's worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomilligan View Post
I sure hope so, see you
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dguy View Post
No, he's gonna instead use the plane to tow his scooter to the field.
Yes, the 342 should pull the scooter fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynbye View Post
hey just put a pice of coal between your butt cheeks by the time the flight ends you will have a new diamond for your wife
I am going to be very rich.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by jfstrama
Royal Evo 12 Pilot
Maryland Heights, MO
Joined Jun 2007
193 Posts

Elie,

To answer your initial question, that's just too damn big!

Will you bring it to any of the Huckfests?

MadDog Joe
jfstrama is offline Find More Posts by jfstrama
Old 02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
RC 'Aholic!
United States, CT, Westbrook
Joined Jan 2006
2,175 Posts

I found the perfect on/off switch!
RollingHarrier is offline Find More Posts by RollingHarrier
Old 02-13-2009, 03:34 PM
Find More Posts by Reza
Aliso Viejo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
4,400 Posts

Elie,

Just a rough calculation I did which may not turn to be very accurate but I think depending on the speed of the plane and how you fly it, you will be using 1600-2000 mah per flight. PB Royal discharges each battery equally. You can have a spike of 30-40 amps if you perform your snap-a-saurus maneuver.

I’d say you can get 4-5 flights before recharging maybe even more. You can charge those batteries at 10 amps if you have TP charger that goes up that much and a good power source!

I also suggest that you buy or make a pig tail connector from Dean to Multiplex so anytime you want to recharge, you don’t pull the multiplex connector off the Royal!

Good luck, I may see you at the Nall. You know my number if you needed any help at all

Reza

[quote=snap a saurus;688204]Reza, I always felt uncomfortable with the Lipos, that's why I stayed away from them, the LIMN seem to be the way to go and probably most of the flying pictures will be HOOVERING pictures
Reza is offline Find More Posts by Reza

Quick Reply