Old 10-23-2019, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
842 Posts
Discussion
ever heard of a ZDZ 50cc engine?

I think i got it right, i know its 3 letters. my buddy has one on a Aeroworks Yak. i google and found nothing. its another plane he is thinking about getting back from guy he sold to just wondered if i be able find a carb for it. or anything i would need. or if end up having to stick a different engine on it.

Edit it was a ZDZ engine
I found the site. I thought i had looked before and couldn't find anything maybe I am wrong on the name i will have to double check.

https://zdzenginesusa.com/
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 10-23-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by prophecypilot
United States, NC, Kenly
Joined Dec 2008
78 Posts
I had a YDA 50, pretty good engine
prophecypilot is online now Find More Posts by prophecypilot
Old 10-23-2019, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
4,925 Posts
Carb would be no problem,any other engine part may be one though.It's been a few years sense they were around.If all it needs is a carb then use it till it quits.Walbro WT201B or 918 would work,or any DLE55 carb.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 AM
Find More Posts by Airiley
United States, VA, Lynchburg
Joined Jul 2016
109 Posts
I had a zdz 100NG twin, so I am not surprised that there may have been a 50.
What I remember about it is that it wore my shoulder out trying to start it.
They used a rotary valve instead of a reed valve, claimed it was better.
Maybe, maybe not, but it was a pain.
Airiley is offline Find More Posts by Airiley
Old 10-24-2019, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
659 Posts
ZDZ is a Czech brand that been around a long time.. they used to be fairly popular 15-20 years ago when DA was not as dominant as they are now. They where originally imported by RC Showcase (Along with Moki, MVVS, and a few others).

RCShowcase folded and ZDZ USA is the importer now but I haven't seen one around in a while. ZDZs are a unique design in that they dont use reeds (DA,3W, etc) OR piston porting (Zenoahs)... rather they use a rotary disk valve on the back of the crank to let the mix in from the carb. Conceptually this works similar to the hollow crank intake of a glow engine. ZDZ had a reputation for being more powerful in a given size class than reed engines, but where notoriously hard to start and a little trickier to tune.

I was thinking of trying a ZDZ50 in 2005 before I got my first DA but they where always out of stock and never got the chance. The 50 has been replaced by a 56 in current production, you could probably call them and get the manual for that:

https://zdzenginesusa.com/product/zdz-56rv-j
jharkin is online now Find More Posts by jharkin
Last edited by jharkin; 10-24-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,925 Posts
Yeah there was at one time ZDZ50 . Carb numbers I gave you still will work on it.You will have to do a search on starting these engines.They don't start like your normal reed engine.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
They are good quality engines but definitely have to follow the proper start procedure or you'll be trying all day. What I hated was that dang spark plug collar Gizmo...had to have a special socket to fit inside...some may like the way the Ign locked down but personally I hate it.
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Last edited by ponyboy082662; 10-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4,925 Posts
Yeah same hear,MVVS had the same ignition and sparkplug boot.Had to be secured the cap to the plug with a set screw,it always loosen up and fell off while flying.RCEXL ignition took care of that.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
842 Posts
Thanks for all of the info everyone,.. Were suppose to check out the plane sometime between now and Christmas.
he thinks the engines he always had are the best and doesn't trust any of the DLE or other newer ones out there.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:26 PM
Joined Jul 2006
4,925 Posts
Hey ZDZ's are a strong running high rpm engine's,they were designed to run on pipes.You just have to get the stating sequence down.
Old 10-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,855 Posts
On the old ZDZ engines, the funky plug cap and special plugs can be replaced with normal ones as used these days. Probably just easier to replace the whole ignition system. I believe those old plugs were nothing more than a CM-6 plug with most of the top connector cut off. I passed on several ZDZ engines a few years back just because of that goofy plug cap system. They certainly ran well though I'm not sure what the parts availability would be these days for the older engines.
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 10-24-2019, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,489 Posts
Here's a pic of my 50NG ZDZ, great engines but will heat up pretty quickly if you think you're going to do high alpha 3D with it, it's probably not the engine you want.

If you have ANY ignition issues, just get rid of the ZDZ unit and get one from CH Ignitions. In fact, getting one right off the bat may be a good idea. The ZDZ setup was kind of a pain and used a tapered thread for the spark plug, a weird cap and the top of the sparkplug was ground off to be shorter and flatter than stock. There was a coiled spring inside the cap that contacted this area of the sparkplug.

I think you can still get new ZDZ ignitions but they are close to $200 where the CH is in the $30 range. There is also an adapter setup available to put a conventional CM-6 sparkplug in the engine and the CH ignition has conventional sparkplug wire ends.

Also, should you find yourself in need of a muffler or header, anything made for a DA-50 will fit the ZDZ-50 perfectly.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 11-03-2019, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
how low can you go
United States, OK, Inola
Joined Aug 2008
602 Posts
I've ran almost all of their engines when I was in my heyday of flying. 40, 50, 60, 80, 112, 180.

They LOVE to be on pipes but made great power on ks cans.

From cold they had an 8-8-1 sequence

Ignition off, full choke flip 8, choke off, flip 8, ignition on, choke off flip once and shes running. But if your needles were good it was a out 5-5-1 on a good day.
racelikustolit3k is offline Find More Posts by racelikustolit3k
Old 11-08-2019, 11:28 AM
Electric Powered!
Joined Jan 2008
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racelikustolit3k View Post
I've ran almost all of their engines when I was in my heyday of flying. 40, 50, 60, 80, 112, 180.

They LOVE to be on pipes but made great power on ks cans.

From cold they had an 8-8-1 sequence

Ignition off, full choke flip 8, choke off, flip 8, ignition on, choke off flip once and shes running. But if your needles were good it was a out 5-5-1 on a good day.

Wow , thanks for the info, Not looked at the plane yet, one day soon maybe. The guy been busy with work. I am hoping the covering is in better shape on the yak and maybe i can let a guy have the bipe for a bit to re cover while i fly the yak. its already feeling like winter here we skipped Fall like normal in GA so not sure how much flying i will get in the rest of this year.

Quick Reply