Old 05-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by kaboomski
In thrust we trust!
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Feb 2010
383 Posts
Discussion
Almost an accident

An accident almost happened to me. While I was preparing my plane for the first flight of the day, I accidentally dropped a small washer into the fuse. I had hard time finding it until I found it in one of the empty servo outputs of the power distribution unit. Luckily the power was off. Otherwise I believe I could have cooked something to extra crispy. Or even worse, switch the power on with the fuselage "closed" so that you would not see the smoke immediately. There is a lot of amps going through those pins and there is current even if the specific output is not in use. The power systems with connectors on the top are more vulnerable.

An accident did once happen. I tried to connect a servo cable to the SBUS2 port in the R7008SB receiver. The one marked with green in the third picture. The receiver was placed so that I had no direct line of sight to the back of the receiver. I accidentally put the connector to the place marked with red. When I turned the power on the servo wire was toast immediately. The receiver did not seem to suffer any damage but I decided to replace it just to be sure.

I would like to put something in those empty connectors to prevent accidents from happening again. Any ideas other than empty servo connectors?

Yes, electrical tape would do the job but I am hoping for more bling-bling

--kaboomski;
kaboomski is offline Find More Posts by kaboomski
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboomski View Post

I would like to put something in those empty connectors to prevent accidents from happening again. Any ideas other than empty servo connectors?
;
Take a couple of old connectors and clip the wires at the back of the plug. Put a dab of Goop, etc. to seal them. Plug them into the open slots sideways to block them.

Personally given the location I'd just tape them over. But I'm lazy, so there's that.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-31-2019, 02:50 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
A small sliver of clear cellophane tape... or glittery cellophane tape if you want bling... or florescent color vinyl tape for some affect or something... or how about some caution tape... so you won't forget, and you'll be careful when working over that area... LOL

Seriously just a little shield is all you need... don't sweat it and go fly.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 06-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by kaboomski
In thrust we trust!
Finland, Uusimaa, HKI
Joined Feb 2010
383 Posts
Tape could be OK for the power distribution units. Especially if you have no unused slots between used slots. However, the receiver is a bit more difficult to protect with tape because there is not enough surface for the tape to adhere.

Fortunately we have a winner! I guess they are originally designed as dust covers but I guess they will work here just fine.

--kaboomski;
kaboomski is offline Find More Posts by kaboomski
Old 06-01-2019, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
50 Posts
So where did you find those little beauty's ? I'd like to get some as well
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Old 06-01-2019, 02:01 PM