logo
Old 06-28-2016, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by S Mullis
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
Are the 420oz servos still $79.95? Is this for the V3 servo? I thought the price went up to $99.95 for the V3. I better go check out there site again. These servos are the greatest for the money. No buzz but make sure you use a inline amp meter to match the aileron servos. That is the only way to do a good match because they make no noise at all. There is a little washer that comes with every servo so you can use aluminum servo arms. If you don't the servo will bottom out and hit the case and cause some binding problems or do what 74 Ranch said grind down the arm so you get clearance between the arm and the servo. Steve Mullis
S Mullis is offline Find More Posts by S Mullis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-29-2016, 04:53 AM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S Mullis View Post
Are the 420oz servos still $79.95? Is this for the V3 servo? I thought the price went up to $99.95 for the V3. I better go check out there site again. These servos are the greatest for the money. No buzz but make sure you use a inline amp meter to match the aileron servos. That is the only way to do a good match because they make no noise at all. There is a little washer that comes with every servo so you can use aluminum servo arms. If you don't the servo will bottom out and hit the case and cause some binding problems or do what 74 Ranch said grind down the arm so you get clearance between the arm and the servo. Steve Mullis
I am using both the V2 and V3... The V3 started out at $99 but are back down to $79! The V3 does not require the spacer under the servo arm either.
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by 74Ranch
United States, VA, Midlothian
Joined Sep 2013
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
I am using both the V2 and V3... The V3 started out at $99 but are back down to $79! The V3 does not require the spacer under the servo arm either.
that's correct its part of the V3 revision. they are very good servos I didn't think about the inline amp readout, they are so quote you assume that all is well.
74Ranch is offline Find More Posts by 74Ranch
Old 07-01-2016, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by S Mullis
Fly Low and Dirty
Monterey,Tennessee
Joined May 2007
406 Posts
O WOW Man!!! No more spacers. That is the best news I have heard all day. Plus the price is back down to $79.00 Now I can get the servos I want for my new bird. I love the V-2 servos but now I need the V-3 servos. I am so glad they upgraded the Pro-Modeler 420oz's I Was hoping they would do this. Thanks for the info guys but now this means I gotta spend some more cash on Pro-Modeler graphics for my plane but well worth it in my opinion. Steve Mullis
S Mullis is offline Find More Posts by S Mullis
Old 07-01-2016, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by jonnyisback
Joined May 2008
75 Posts
I'll post some pics up when my 420's arrive today with aluminum arms Can't wait to see them!
jonnyisback is offline Find More Posts by jonnyisback
Old 07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I'm about to install one on the rudder of my antique 1/3 Waco. So far I have about 50 flights on a different airframe, and zero issues. Strong, accurate, amd quiet.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 07-01-2016, 12:42 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyisback View Post
I'll post some pics up when my 420's arrive today with aluminum arms Can't wait to see them!
Been flying the snot out of V2 and V3 they are awesome! The V3 is slightly taller than V2 and an 8711HV
Old 07-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by jonnyisback
Joined May 2008
75 Posts
These servos look great! Less gear lash than my new 8711s. Arms fit great as well! We will see how they hold up over time
jonnyisback is offline Find More Posts by jonnyisback
Old 09-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Find More Posts by plowboy
Balsa Farmer
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
Following
plowboy is offline Find More Posts by plowboy
Old 10-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Balsa Farmer
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
How are these holding up?
Old 10-06-2016, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
No news is good news.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Balsa Farmer
Joined Jun 2008
2,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funboy View Post
No news is good news.
I suppose.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by jbeech
Joined Nov 2013
65 Posts
Folks, please allow me a to update you regarding this servo. Introduced as the S420 (because it made 420oz-in) it soon became the v2, then v3, and v4 as the iterative process led to improvements. However, instead of the next version being v5, it became the S470. Here's more about it.
https://www.promodeler.com/S470BLHV

Background
v2 - the S420 became the S420v2 with the switch to steel/steel gears. This came about because of pilots flying 40% aircraft. Basically, we learned the traditional steel/brass combo gears just weren't strong enough to withstand the abuse over time of 30lb aircraft being tossed across the sky with abandon because the brass would wear too quickly resulting in excessive backlash. The fix was switching to a steel/steel gear train. This improved the durability.

v3 - if some is good, more is better, right? That's why we went to taller (wider) gears. Basically, this reduced the working pressure on the gear faces and further improved durability. And note, the primary driver of the development of this servo has pretty much always been the pilots of 40% aircraft because many folks use them in scale models, plus 30% aircraft, but none impose forces of comparative magnitude as the +40% models. Anyway, taller gears meant making the case a little taller as well (to accommodate them) so the servo became a little bit larger.

v4 - with this update the only real change was creating hard bronze inserts to reinforce the aluminum case tops (where the steel gear shafts fit). And this wasn't really for our 40% customers who were generally satisfied, but for a new class of customer who had discovered the servo; folks running 15 lbs trucks! Basically, while air is compressible, rocks aren't and thus, we learned they were hammering the bores in the case where the steel gear shafts fit so hard that instead of round they became egg shaped! Anyway, the hard points was the critical change that let the servo live in an off road environment, which resulted in it becoming the goto servo for that crowd as well.

So that's where things stood for about 2 years - until recently - when my motor supplier offered me a new motor. One that's a little bit stronger and a lot faster. And as 3D pilots know, faster is really important to allow them to kick it up a notch. However, of greater interest for me was how the new motor was optimized for a wide range of voltages. Voltages ranging from 5-8.4V versus the previous one (6-7.4V). This was important because we learned that instead of using a 2S LiPo, a lot of guys liked powering their servos off of a BEC set to 8.4V. Thus, while this iteration is a little stronger and faster at 7.4V, at 8.4V it really shines because torque is now up to 470oz-in, plus it's a lot faster (transit speed went down from 0.12sec to 0.09sec).

Anyway, I consider this design as fully mature because I can't think of anything else to improve. Last thing, the price is up to $99 because we were losing money on them before. What happened is our new accountant wondered why I was selling this servo at a loss. Shocked, I said we weren't but she showed me we were - and since obviously I can't stay in business and lose money - we adjusted the price. Finally, as things stand, I'll put this servo up against anybody's on the planet be it Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronics, KO Propo, MKS, or anybody else!
jbeech is offline Find More Posts by jbeech
Old 07-21-2017, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
Got my first set of servos from this company recently. I don't know why I didn't try earlier. Amazing servos from a great company. I hope to find my next project for reason to get some more of his servos. Lol
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 07-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Just finished this yak with 1 of the 470's as a rudder servo and have found this to be one awesome servo as with all the other pro modeler servos I have, this did not disappoint!! My beast and decathlon are all pro modeler servos and this has one on the rudder! Nothing but great things to say about the company or the servos! Thank you Mr.Beech

Quick Reply