logo
Old 08-19-2016, 11:52 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Well I'm not so impressed with mine. The first model I used it on was a Hangar 9 Corsair 60cc.

The support pieces that form the cradle are pretty narrow so I added some pipe insulation (the black high density foam stuff) to each cradle. When we set the fuselage upside down on the stand, it cracked the balsa sheeting on the forward section of the fuselage. Had to pull out all the stuff in the fuselage to get inside and repair the damage. It was a real pain.

The stand hasn't been used since....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-20-2016, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by Dickster1
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Oct 2015
274 Posts
I would love to try one, but they are ridiculously expensive with shipping and import charges to the uk.
Dickster1 is offline Find More Posts by Dickster1
Old 08-20-2016, 11:10 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Well I'm not so impressed with mine. The first model I used it on was a Hangar 9 Corsair 60cc.

The support pieces that form the cradle are pretty narrow so I added some pipe insulation (the black high density foam stuff) to each cradle. When we set the fuselage upside down on the stand, it cracked the balsa sheeting on the forward section of the fuselage. Had to pull out all the stuff in the fuselage to get inside and repair the damage. It was a real pain.

Not trying to argue, just want folks to see it from a different perspective. The two cradle pieces fit together in the center and provide over an inch of flat width to set things on if properly adjusted -quite a large area compared to my old Midwest stand. I've put everything up to a 40% on my stand with no modification and had no issues . Admittedly I was careful about adjustment and how I placed the larger models. Your only other option is a stand like Terry's Custom (which are also very nice) but they are not as height adjustable and don't work if your airplane does not have a wing tube.
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 08-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
I average about 20 builds a year along with serious plane maintenance. I have two of these stands and put them through some hardcore workouts. I like Terry's stands but not all the planes I build have wing tubes so this is the next best option IMO. I use the large foam tubes from the pool store and have never cracked the wood or fiberglass on a plane.

For a round plane like a Yak or Corsair the supports need to be spread out so as to not have two hard pressure points supporting all the weight.

Spats
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Find More Posts by flyerman
United States, AL, Troy
Joined May 2014
264 Posts
I have Terry's and this articulating stand. Both are great. Just make sure the knobs are tight, especially when cycling landing gear. 24lb. P51 started to slowly settle during retract ops. A little extra knob tweak solved the slo-mo descent.
flyerman is offline Find More Posts by flyerman
Old 08-20-2016, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Quote:

Common sense should prevail. If you put the fuse upside down on your work bench and cracked sheeting, you wouldn't blame the bench. Spread the load.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 08-21-2016, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by genelavine
GottaFly
Joined Dec 2006
347 Posts
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback and input.
Just a couple of quick notes:
First;
Please be sure to read the instructions that come with all of our stands:
"Never rest a model on stringers or soft area. Always rest on a former or bulkhead spreading the load".
Second;
The stand pictured in Spats post is not ours, it is built from a gentlemen in North Carolina. While they are very similar and he does a nice job, it is not ours. Very easy to tell the difference: All our stands come with routed edges, have high density foam on all the cradles, are stained and sealed with Minwax sealer, have all stainless hardware, 4 arm phenolic adjustment knobs with a knob wench tool to help you tighten the knobs, deluxe models have steel locking casters with non scuff rubber wheels attached with the same 4 arm phenolic knobs and have my name and phone number on them. Be aware there are several knock offs out there but mine are easy to differentiate.
This post is not meant to be kicking the other guys, simply letting you know that there are significant differences and it is easy to spot.
Thanks
Gene
genelavine is offline Find More Posts by genelavine
Old 08-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by GScott
United States, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2016
61 Posts
Just received my stand and I'm impressed. Very high quality and I love all the adjustments. It easily holds my 78" Slick that I'm currently building.
GScott is offline Find More Posts by GScott
Old 08-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
Common sense should prevail. If you put the fuse upside down on your work bench and cracked sheeting, you wouldn't blame the bench. Spread the load.
How stupid do you think I am?

Among other things, I have full scale A&P licenses, models from foamies to turbines and have used various types of cradles/holders on most different types of models except gliders, I've never busted a fuselage like this stand did to my Corsair. And yes, it had foam added to the cradle only I use the high density foam pipe insulators.

In the future, if you cannot offer something constructive, why don't you keep your mouth shut instead of making assumptions about someone else's intelligence or ability levels?
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 08-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genelavine View Post
Thanks Guys, I appreciate the feedback and input.
Just a couple of quick notes:
First;
Please be sure to read the instructions that come with all of our stands:
"Never rest a model on stringers or soft area. Always rest on a former or bulkhead spreading the load".
Second;
The stand pictured in Spats post is not ours, it is built from a gentlemen in North Carolina. While they are very similar and he does a nice job, it is not ours. Very easy to tell the difference: All our stands come with routed edges, have high density foam on all the cradles, are stained and sealed with Minwax sealer, have all stainless hardware, 4 arm phenolic adjustment knobs with a knob wench tool to help you tighten the knobs, deluxe models have steel locking casters with non scuff rubber wheels attached with the same 4 arm phenolic knobs and have my name and phone number on them. Be aware there are several knock offs out there but mine are easy to differentiate.
This post is not meant to be kicking the other guys, simply letting you know that there are significant differences and it is easy to spot.
Thanks
Gene

Gene,

Sorry you are right. That is an old pic and not yours. My mistake. I did get a new one from you at Nall this year, not sure if you remember. So sorry about that. The tool that comes with yours is the key to the strength holding the larger planes up which was the incentive to purchasing yours.

Spats
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 08-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by VinceY
That guy
Joined Feb 2006
734 Posts
Quote:
How stupid do you think I am?

Among other things, I have full scale A&P licenses, models from foamies to turbines and have used various types of cradles/holders on most different types of models except gliders, I've never busted a fuselage like this stand did to my Corsair. And yes, it had foam added to the cradle only I use the high density foam pipe insulators.

In the future, if you cannot offer something constructive, why don't you keep your mouth shut instead of making assumptions about someone else's intelligence or ability levels?
Need some Midol? Jeez. I made no assumptions about your intelligence or ability levels. I made a statement about the proper use of a functional airplane stand, since you thought you needed to disparage it. I call that constructive.

Keep my mouth shut? You don't get to censor me.

How stupid do I think you are? Keep posting and more people will share my opinion about that.
VinceY is offline Find More Posts by VinceY
Old 08-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by sutton50
United States, GA, Gainesville
Joined Feb 2014
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceY View Post
Need some Midol? Jeez. I made no assumptions about your intelligence or ability levels. I made a statement about the proper use of a functional airplane stand, since you thought you needed to disparage it. I call that constructive.

Keep my mouth shut? You don't get to censor me.

How stupid do I think you are? Keep posting and more people will share my opinion about that.
It only took this 1 post for us to share in your opinion!
sutton50 is offline Find More Posts by sutton50
Old 08-22-2016, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by genelavine
GottaFly
Joined Dec 2006
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats View Post
Gene,

Sorry you are right. That is an old pic and not yours. My mistake. I did get a new one from you at Nall this year, not sure if you remember. So sorry about that. The tool that comes with yours is the key to the strength holding the larger planes up which was the incentive to purchasing yours.

Spats
No worries at all Spats and yes I remember you pickup up one of mine at Nall. As well as I remember all the great looking planes you had and some pretty great flying as well. Just made mention in the pic as there are several out there that are very similar to mine and I sometimes have people confuse them with ours. Have to thank an 80 year old gentlemen in Florida who has very bad arthritis in his hands for the knob wrench. He has 4 of our stands and works on scale warbirds. Called me one day just to chat and was telling me how much he liked the stand but was having trouble keeping the knobs tight and hated the idea of using a pair of pliers so viola.... knob wrench was born and now comes with all our stands.
genelavine is offline Find More Posts by genelavine

Quick Reply