logo
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Re: DLE20

I weighed a gallon of 15% glow fuel. 7 lb 8 oz net wt.
I weighed a gallon of regular pump gas with 85-1 Royal Purple mixed in, ready to fly 6 lbs 3 oz

So I figure 15% glow fuel weighs .9375 oz per fl oz and gas mix .77344 per fl oz.

On my Saito 100 and 125 profiles I use an 11 oz Hayes tank(1.8 oz)...or about a 10.3 oz fuel load.

If I were to switch to a 4 oz Hayes (1 oz) tank the fuel load is 3.1 oz or weighing in at 8 oz less (with smaller fuel tank).... these numbers are by calculations...your results may vary.

I run my 58 inch Slide profiles on A-123 2300's and also on A123-1100's. So for the planes with the 2300's I will run a dedicated power lead to the igniton (2.4 radios only) and gain a few grams...may also do the same on the 1100's, need more research on that one.

My Saito 100's turn JC Super Prop 16x4 at about 9300, the 125 same prop 10k...what the DLE-20 will do with similar prop is where my attention will be focused....or if with more torque, it will turn a bigger prop.

I run the DLE-30 on a bigger profile and on an 11 oz tank I fly 20 minutes and still have a little less than 1/4 tank...most at and below half throttle...3D style...so the 20 is hopeful will go 10 minutes or more on a small tank...

Now, how many flights before I burn up a gallon of gasoline at 3 or so ounces in 10 minutes....??? 40 or more....for about 5 bucks a gallon...??? Right now am getting around 16 flights per gallon on the $20 a gallon glow fuel....plus a quart of purple power (goo off) cleaning solution.....

If it performs, it will be a winner me thinks..

WW

PS, I hope they have good con-rod bearings so people can use a regular mix of fuel like they might in a larger gasoline powered engine...
WrongWayRC is offline Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts

rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

Right on Richard, right on.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Old 07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novemberalpha View Post
Would love see simillar products from some quality manufacturers with chinese buy four only one is going to last you well that too will keep you on your toes always.!

is it just me or did i just get dumber reading this? i have no idea what is being said here other than some random words in the english language.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by steedav8ranger
AKA ProBroAndy
Houston TX
Joined Mar 2006
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
Its only 8 oz heavier, and wouldn't you want to compare it to the Saito 125? The 125 is 20CC, so wouldn't that be a better comparison? The 100 uses about a 14" prop, and the DLE uses a 16" prop. The 125 uses a 16" prop and is only 4 ozs heavier.
14x6 on a 100?? I ran apc 16x4w's and 15x6's regularly on my 100's.. thats why i compared a 100 to it.

regardless, i cant wait to see video of this motor in action
steedav8ranger is offline Find More Posts by steedav8ranger
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericb View Post
Its only 8 oz heavier, and wouldn't you want to compare it to the Saito 125? The 125 is 20CC, so wouldn't that be a better comparison? The 100 uses about a 14" prop, and the DLE uses a 16" prop. The 125 uses a 16" prop and is only 4 ozs heavier.
I was just thinking the same thing. I love my Saito's, but I'll bet I can sell my slightly used Saito 100's for about the same as this engine is new. I have two planes that are ready for this conversion today!!!

I was thinking this engine, with a smaller fuel tank, and a 42% zeus (http://www.valleyviewrc.com/Zeus%20f...20Products.htm) with one A123 would make a light and fun 50-60 sized sport plane. Not much into profiles myself, so can't speak for those.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedav8ranger View Post
14x6 on a 100?? I ran apc 16x4w's and 15x6's regularly on my 100's.. thats why i compared a 100 to it.

I run 15x6's on my 100's as well, not in a 3D capable plane though. Just ran my RCGF 20 side carb version for the first time last night, mounted in a GP super skybolt. Turning 15x6 8000 +/- 50 after tuning. But, my DLE 30's seem to be monsters compared to the RCGF's that I have had. Can't wait to see prop data on their 20!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by novemberalpha
India, Maharashtra, Mumbai
Joined Aug 2008
666 Posts

Let me say we all got off on the wrong foot here & with all due respect We here in India Asia don’t have the customer service like you do in the US for us you buy it its yours not even if the hub falls off right in the LHS you paid it yours. I am a true believer of the saying why build it expensive when its not ment to outlast but the Russians had some QC but Chinese don’t; except for a very few who are headed by others like apple. I don’t want to bring any brand down but I am also not a fan of theirs after what I had to go though. I sure there are many of you who may have thought why after buying it even if one of you has done it I rest my case. & a big no for DA building these smaller ones but O.S. or Super tiger A big yes. For rcign with all due respect to your valuable experience Race cars are ment to go fast & perform but to last only for a race but your average ford or Chevy they have time built into them & at the current forex rates I rather have time on my side. Just like you like simpler single bolts.

This is Just my opinion I dont want to imply this on anybody.
novemberalpha is offline Find More Posts by novemberalpha
Old 07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steedav8ranger View Post

Fair enough. I was just going by the specs on Horizon. I am guessing the DLE20 will run 17's and 18's with ease.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Wood Butcher
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts

With the 30 running 19's and low 20's my money is on 17's and low 18's. Keeping my fingers crossed for that!!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryscustom View Post
With the 30 running 19's and low 20's my money is on 17's and low 18's. Keeping my fingers crossed for that!!
I hope you are right, but I think a more realistic number will be 16" spinning somewhere around 7500 and 8000rpm.

Not sure you can compare a gas engine to the equivalent size glow engine.

A buddy of mine just found out recently comparing a saito 100 to a rgcf15 (or whatever it is) is like comparing apples and oranges. He was bragging how the 15 was spinning the same prop he had on his 100. What he wasn't taking into consideration was the 100 was spinning the prop at almost 10K and the 15 was spinning it at 7000rpm.

can't wait to get one of these. I'm sure a pipe and maybe some port clean up will help slightly.
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Old 07-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by ericb
Team WTFO
USA, SD, Worthing
Joined Mar 2006
9,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxcoupe View Post
I hope you are right, but I think a more realistic number will be 16" spinning somewhere around 7500 and 8000rpm.

Not sure you can compare a gas engine to the equivalent size glow engine.

A buddy of mine just found out recently comparing a saito 100 to a rgcf15 (or whatever it is) is like comparing apples and oranges. He was bragging how the 15 was spinning the same prop he had on his 100. What he wasn't taking into consideration was the 100 was spinning the prop at almost 10K and the 15 was spinning it at 7000rpm.

can't wait to get one of these. I'm sure a pipe and maybe some port clean up will help slightly.

We will have to just wait and see. Nobody thought the DLE30 would do what it can do either.
ericb is offline Find More Posts by ericb
Old 07-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

No model airplane gasser on the planet will outlast any size Zenoah, at any rpm you want to fly at...Most of you newbies haven't been around long enough to know what a REAL airplane engine is...
Bill Oberdeick at Taurus knows, Kenny at D&B knows ,Milton Thompson knows, Tom Lundstedt at BME knows, any manufacturer using chainsaw components knows....Sorry if I omitted some, CRS prevails....
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign
Old 07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by wallygator
Bite Me!
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Dec 2007
1,154 Posts

Huh?

wallygator is offline Find More Posts by wallygator
Old 07-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by rcign
Williams, Az USA
Joined Jan 2006
2,439 Posts

Late response to post 68 about race engines and single bolt hubs...
rcign is offline Find More Posts by rcign

Quick Reply