logo
Old 01-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
I would try a 20x6 or a 3-blade if I were you...
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Last edited by Devil_Inside; 01-31-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Inside View Post
I would try a 20x6 if I were you...
Yea, im leaning towards that or a 19x6.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne33 View Post
The combo looks sssweettt I'll be getting my 30cc Breitling from Red Aero
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...t=63910&page=2
Thanks man, I think so too The only problem is that the engine looks so good it would be a shame to hide it in a cowl, but at least the MXS-R has such a sexy cowl

I was going to buy the Red Aero myself, but went with Peak because they had a sale and I wanted to save a few $$$. As you may have seen from my posts though I spent all the money I saved and then some to replace the crappy decals, etc.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Yea, im leaning towards that or a 19x6.
I haven't ran my Mintor yet so I can't comment on performance there, but I ran a 19x6 on my DLE30 and I was very happy with it. It had plenty of pull and less speed which was perfect for my Edge 540. I think the Mintor with its 10% more displacement will have no problem swinging a 20x6.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
I haven't ran my Mintor yet so I can't comment on performance there, but I ran a 19x6 on my DLE30 and I was very happy with it. It had plenty of pull and less speed which was perfect for my Edge 540. I think the Mintor with its 10% more displacement will have no problem swinging a 20x6.
Your going to love this motor. My only issues so far that i have found are the choke setup and first start of the day. Haven't really found a good way to run a choke rod on it and the first time out this engine takes a lot of extra flips to get it running. Once running, it start every time like your typical gas motor.

On the prop, I just cant decide. I'm afraid the 20x6 is to big and it may struggle to run it up and I'm afraid the 19x6 will still have to much speed, but hell, I cant find any CF prop in a 19x6, so looks like I'm getting a Falcon 20X6 CF.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
If you look in the manual they say you can run up to a 20x8 on this motor. While I personally wouldn't go to that extreme, 20x6 doesn't sound unreasonable. If you decide to go for it please post some numbers and let us know what you think

p.s. I have no clue what am I going to with the choke... I was wondering if I can unhook the spring and cut those tabs from the arms to get a more conventional setup. Not sure if that would work tho...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
If you look in the manual they say you can run up to a 20x8 on this motor. While I personally wouldn't go to that extreme, 20x6 doesn't sound unreasonable. If you decide to go for it please post some numbers and let us know what you think

p.s. I have no clue what am I going to with the choke... I was wondering if I can unhook the spring and cut those tabs from the arms to get a more conventional setup. Not sure if that would work tho...

I will post what I end up with. On the choke, good luck, I'm still not sure what to do with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
I emailed TopDawg to inquire about the choke setup and they promised to send me some pictures, but I still haven't received them. I probably should follow up..

In the meanwhile if any of you guys have some pictures of your choke setup I would like to see them. The few that I saw on this thread are kinda blurry and don't show much detail.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Find More Posts by ultra6a
Charlotte, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Thanks man, I think so too The only problem is that the engine looks so good it would be a shame to hide it in a cowl, but at least the MXS-R has such a sexy cowl

I was going to buy the Red Aero myself, but went with Peak because they had a sale and I wanted to save a few $$$. As you may have seen from my posts though I spent all the money I saved and then some to replace the crappy decals, etc.
I had to do the same thing. Love the way the plane flies.
ultra6a is offline Find More Posts by ultra6a
Old 02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
Speaking of propellers do you guys think that a Mejzlik 18x10 3-blade would be OK for this engine? I am tempted to throw a 3-blade propeller on my MXS-R just because they look so damn good... At the price of $70+ each though I can't do much experimenting with prop sizes.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam Bam View Post
The 55% extra broke about 10 mins into its first flight a year ago!
That vid and some flight pics is all I have!
Sorry to hear that, but a short flight video is better than nothing
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 02-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
I followed up with Dennis from Top Dawg and he was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures of his choke setup.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
I followed up with Dennis from Top Dawg and he was kind enough to send me a couple of pictures of his choke setup.
Im doing the same set up, but how does he handle the fact that the throttle has to be in a certain location for the choke to lock into place ? What I do is bump up my trim in the radio to a marked point to where i know the servo wont bind and the throttle will engage with the choke. Its working so far, but not to happy with it.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapple12 View Post
Im doing the same set up, but how does he handle the fact that the throttle has to be in a certain location for the choke to lock into place ? What I do is bump up my trim in the radio to a marked point to where i know the servo wont bind and the throttle will engage with the choke. Its working so far, but not to happy with it.
Beats me! I was wondering about the same thing, and even though I have digital trims I wouldn't want to adjust them every time I have to start my engine. I might be able to program some sort of of flight-condition or idle-down for starting, but I think I will just convert the carburetor to a conventional setup once I figure out the part numbers...
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Beats me! I was wondering about the same thing, and even though I have digital trims I wouldn't want to adjust them every time I have to start my engine. I might be able to program some sort of of flight-condition or idle-down for starting, but I think I will just convert the carburetor to a conventional setup once I figure out the part numbers...
Keep us posted, I would do that too. I guess if you didn't mind the added weight, you could always take the spring off the choke and control it from a small servo.

Quick Reply