logo
Old 09-14-2019, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Al I fly a lot of airplanes in addition to my own. The sensitive low end is the overwhelming majority not the minority.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Look, you do it anyway you like. I really don't care about you or your opinion on throttle set up.

I can tell you that illustration showing how a lot of guys set up their throttles has been around for a very long time, and used by many people. That would likely not be the case if it didn't serve some purpose. I suppose you've never seen it before? I didn't even post it this time. I can also share that throttle curves have been in use for some time, and have been especially useful to those who don't care for that sensitivity you seem to be fine with.

So let's end it like this. You do as you like, and offer your opinion. I'll do the same. We'll agree to disagree and move on.

Edit: Second thought. For those on the fence, try it both way to see which you like better. We're not talking about something that's going to be a lot of trouble or take hours to accomplish.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Last edited by AHicks; 09-14-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Al I fly a lot of airplanes in addition to my own. The sensitive low end is the overwhelming majority not the minority.
Does the lack of knowledge people show in their ability to setup a plane to respond the same as a barrel carb with smooth/even throttle response somehow dictate how every one should be set, including those specifically asking how to smooth out the power flow? Don't let ignorance of others fool you into believing it's the same as "accepted". Many accept things as normal simply because they don't have anything to compare with. The Futaba metal box radios work fine for many pilots who don't know any better. Those wanting to relax their brain while allowing technology to help are doing just that.

"I don't use mixing. I'd rather fly knife edge making adjustments as needed." One of the dumbest comments ever stated in radio control forums since the advent of computer radios. Don't be this guy!
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Al, how many DA, DLE, or whatever larger than 35cc have you set up and flown? Where do you get to tell me - who has owned and flown 35% Edges - what happens with a sensitive low end when you have zero experience?
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 09-14-2019, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Not going to get into a pissing match here, with "how big is yours" determining credibility. If you figure the bigger planes are a factor on the topic (I doubt it) maybe it would have been worth mentioning when stating your opinion.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 09-14-2019, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by KMatch
United States, TX, Bay City
Joined Nov 2016
690 Posts
My dle 20s all need the mixing as well. Like she tries to convince me still, size doesn't matter. It's fine if people aren't bothered by a lack of smooth throttle. It's fine if people want to avoid expo. It's fine if people learned to fly with reversed ailerons. What's not fine is to state these are normal and/or should be accepted as such just because you or someone you know does it for whatever reason, which is usually not knowing how to do it differently. I don't personaally care who does what. When I see someone practicing something odd and I may know a better/easier way, it's worth sharing. Many appreciate that. Many don't. I sleep the same either way.
KMatch is offline Find More Posts by KMatch
Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by Aviator999
Joined Jun 2017
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Pretty much everyone I know sets up their throttles to be sensitive on the low end. It affords much greater control at low speed especially on landings where sometimes all that is needed is a blip. And this is true regardless of the aircraft type - including the Edge to which I am quite familiar. In many years of competition and thereafter I have never needed to setup a throttle curve.
Everyone has its own preference for the throttle set up and that is ok, but this is really the biggest nonsense ever I came across in over 40 years in the hobby! On final you control speed with elevator and sink rate with throttle, same as full size. All my planes are set up with a throttle as linear as possible and it doesn’t matter if it is a 30cc or 170cc DA or DLE or what ever. I want to hear a rpm change on every single notch from idle to wot and vice versa. There is excellent advise here in the forum how to do it.

Imagine to fly a constant speed schedule in IMAC or F3A with a twitchy throttle set up
Aviator999 is offline Find More Posts by Aviator999
Old 09-25-2019, 11:26 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
this was some of the funniest posts on FG. great servo/throttle chart by the way maybe someone will use it
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc

Quick Reply