logo
View Poll Results: I know this it not an Extra or 50%er but thought it was cool.
Continue thread 26 100.00%
Nice plane but not a thread of Flying giants Interest. Needs to be 3D capable 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by invert0914
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Andy Sheber 33% S2A Pitts resurrection for Dad

O.k. guys if there is enough interest I well post my progress on a true historic plane that has been in my family since 1980? This was truly my fatherís favorite plane that he finally got from guy up in Jersey in the 80ís. Flew it once, loved it, stripped it and has been a hanger queen for 20 years. Since my dad who some of you may know Mr. George Welcome S.R. has had a series of heart surgeries this past year. So I am going to restore this beauty to as close to 100% scale as possible. Almost Top Gun Quality but im not that anal. I have all the sheet metal for the front. Iím going with the large single canopy, which will open, and close. As many rivets as it takes. All flying wires will be teardrop. I will put my everything I got into this build. Notice the Metal cabanes. Will be a challenge. Here are the pics of what I got to work with. Will up date as often as I can. My job is busy so wonít be every day. Thanks for all and support and future Ideas.

John
invert0914 is offline Find More Posts by invert0914
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
just wanna FLY!
St. Louis
Joined Jul 2006
2,574 Posts
Re: Andy Sheber 33% S2A Pitts resurrection for Dad

that is a truely BAD-ASS thing to do for your father! very cool! i'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this. I'll be watching this one closely
HuckinChikn is offline Find More Posts by HuckinChikn
Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

For those who want to know the specs 80 inch wing span. Will be powered by a 3W 60. Will need to know best prop for this engine and here is the color scheme im going with.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by ray06
Flyin' Around
statesville, nc
Joined Jan 2006
36 Posts

That is cool thing to do. Is that a kit or was it built from plans? I will be following your posts .
ray06 is offline Find More Posts by ray06
Old 09-18-2007, 09:06 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

This an original built in the mid 1970's from Shieber plans. Im pretty sure it was from his kit. I have already replaced alot of the wood mainly the planking and updated sall hardware. It first flew with a 90 and a gear drive. Have had to update the engine box for a large motor. Have recut both cock pitts and have got the elevator servos installed in the rear. Will go with pul; pull on the rudder and will go with digital metal gear on the ailerons and will gang them for scale appearance. They are so light and with todays servos im sure it will be plenty. Will take more up dated pics tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by 3ddd
tissue ? cry baby jack wagon!
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
2,886 Posts

my 3w 60 ran and pulled really good on a 24x10
3ddd is offline Find More Posts by 3ddd
Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 PM
Find More Posts by cap231jim
Aliquippa, Pa
Joined Dec 2006
292 Posts

That's a cool project.

I have one of these; built it when I was 19 I think. It has made the move with me about 6 times!

How times have changed.....

This airplane was way out there in it's day. Engine choices were nonexistent. I actually converted a chain saw engine that my dad gave me for it. The only hardware available was the standard 2-56 stuff (scary!!) I had to make a tailwheel assembly. The servos were HUGE and not really up to the task. Even finding wheels for the beast was difficult.

After completion I found it was to much trouble to dissassemble/reassemble. So the plan was to leave it assembled all the time and transport it on top of my Pinto wagon. I rigged a cradle and strap system on the roof rack; made sure the tail was higher than the nose so the wings would force it DOWN. (O.K. so I was young and stupid) You should have heard the flying wires sing when I drove down the road!

I actually only flew it once. It was underpowered. I think the engine had about 2 cu. in. displacement. I've held on to it all these years (28) thinking I may install a better powerplant; which there are plenty to choose from today. I think this airframe today would have a 120 up front! This airplane is huge!

All the best with your project. I hope you have more success than I did.

Jim
cap231jim is offline Find More Posts by cap231jim
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

Day 1 of the resurrection began with cutting out the front cockpit. I have used the photo provided for this. I also cut the single canopy which will be cut to open and close like the real one. I have found some hanger scrathes in the canopy. I have heard there is a product that can get these out so if someone knows what it is and where to get it please tell me. The plane originally wieghed 22lbs when it flew with a 3.7 sachs on its one flight back when. My dad says it was plenty and then some so I figure the 3W 60 should handle it fine. Bob Dively now makes the kit and he says at the most it could wiegh 23lbs. Check out the original firewall. I am going to reconstruct a traditional box firewall behind the original to give it the strength for the 60. I also decide to go with new tech and reconstructed the back of the plane for the elevator servos. No push rods this time. Will continue tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 AM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,455 Posts

Looks good so far! Keep us updated with lots of pics!
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 09-24-2007, 12:12 AM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

O.k got a few hours today to work on the Pitts and got alot done. I redid the elevator set up and went with Hitech digitals. Also completed the pull pull system on the rudder. After all that I got to work on monting the engine and redoing the firewall. I added a firewall box to the 1/2 ply firewall that was added to the original. Used triangle stock on all sides. Now i know its not going anywhare. I started the sheet metal install which will be a big pain in the butt. It will be worth it in the end. Here up some updated pics. It was dark so not great quality.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

I know its not a 3D machine but if this is not a tread of interest I will pull it to save my self the time to do it. Thanks for the replys I have already gotten.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Find More Posts by 3drat
Suspended Account
YEH THERE
Joined Mar 2007
339 Posts

NICE i love the pitts & that looks wicked,a mate had a 33% with a 3w75 it was the best scratch built plane i have ever seen.Keep the thread alive pleaseI will try find a photo of my mates pitts.
cheers glen
3drat is offline Find More Posts by 3drat
Old 09-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
4,900 Posts

Hey Invert!
I voted to keep ya around! I got something just about as good as your story of your Pitts from your Dad. I have one of these Sheber 1/3 scale Pitts S-2's also. I started building mine two days before my daughter was born. (I used a sharp #2 pencil to write the completion date of each sub-assembly as I finished each part.) Just for your info.......... Courtney is now 20 years old and a Junior at SHSU in Huntsville, Tx. I started building on it when we lived in Katy, Tx. and now we live North of Houston in Conroe! This framework has made 5 house moves since it was started! (If you get yours in around 22-23 pounds, you are gonna be doing GOOD!) I've had two finished S-2's with a 4.2 and a 5.8 and they both weighed in at around 28-29 pounds. I used to hang it on the prop and dump a lot of smoke with it but we didn't call it a hover! We were just calling it a tailslide with smoke on! (Pre-3D!!) When I was at Bomber Field for the B-17 fly-in there was an OLD one for sale for 80 bucks. Yours looked way better than this one did! Good luck and keep us posted. Maybe you'll inspire me to hack away on mine soon!
WT
WangoTango is offline Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 09-25-2007, 05:49 PM
North Carolina
Joined May 2006
233 Posts

Thanks Wango. I thought this would be cool thread and a step away from the ussual threads about extras and yaks. It will be awesome when its done. Thanks for the votes. I love 3d myself as you can seee by my 40% Carden Cap but it seems to be the only thing we talk about anymore and aviation otherwise is just not seen or talked about.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by airborneSGT
Pimpalicious
Germany, BY, Bamberg
Joined May 2006
2,241 Posts

That is an awesome project and will make for a very nice scale plane. Myself I have always enjoyed a good bipe.
airborneSGT is offline Find More Posts by airborneSGT

Quick Reply