logo
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by tchanter
United States, NC, Stanley
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
Discussion
DA35 Issues

The engine just came back from DA. They replaced the carb. I have not touched the needles. 1st flight of the day all is good 2-3 flips with choke on, choke off 2-3 flips and running with good idle - No sag on uplines. Here is what happens on the 2nd flight. The engine will eventually quit bogging and runs OK for that flight. The 3rd flight I gave up - kept bogging and quits as you go back to idle. Pretty much the same reason I sent the engine back to DA.

Any ideas?

DA35 Clip (0 min 40 sec)
tchanter is offline Find More Posts by tchanter
Last edited by tchanter; 06-20-2018 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by g257945
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2014
704 Posts
1/8th turn out on the low end, 1/4 turn out on the high.

Scott
g257945 is offline Find More Posts by g257945
Old 06-20-2018, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,804 Posts
While needle settings can certainly be the problem, is the engine well cooled? I’m concerned the first flight was ok then other flights had problems. If not cooled well or if the carb is getting heat soaked, the symptoms can be similar to or the same as lean needle settings.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,425 Posts
You need way more exit air. That is nowhere near sufficient for cooling.

Adding in low air pressure lips make a huge difference but you'll still need to open the belly of the aircraft to get the proper amount.

Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 06-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
4,804 Posts
Bingo! We have a winner.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
Thank You all

I'm on it....
Old 06-20-2018, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchanter View Post
I'm on it....
Looks like crap but on these smaller engines, I cut the entire bottom of the cowl out. I might make a hole for the muffler, but typically it just gets connected to the big hole.

For some reason I find that in Denver, CO they need that huge exit area. Without that they tend to act funny.

Hope you get your issue solved.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Old 06-21-2018, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Papatrey
United States, GA, Fayetteville
Joined Jan 2016
271 Posts
Everyone talks about the 3 times as much exit as you have coming in. If you look at the first post, that plane has all that air coming in through the cowl which is doing nothing to cool the engine. To have 3 times the exit, you would have to remove a couple sections from the bottom of the fuselage.

My question is, wouldn't it be a good thing to block off the air that is coming in, but isn't cooling the engine? That way, it would be a lot easier to get the air that is cooling the engine to exit.
Papatrey is offline Find More Posts by Papatrey
Old 06-21-2018, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papatrey View Post
Everyone talks about the 3 times as much exit as you have coming in. If you look at the first post, that plane has all that air coming in through the cowl which is doing nothing to cool the engine. To have 3 times the exit, you would have to remove a couple sections from the bottom of the fuselage.

My question is, wouldn't it be a good thing to block off the air that is coming in, but isn't cooling the engine? That way, it would be a lot easier to get the air that is cooling the engine to exit.
In this case yes you could block off 2/3rd of the cheek openings on the cowling to allow your exit air hole to be a little smaller. You still want some of that upper air coming in to aid in cooling the case and carb though.
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
325 Posts
Thank You Colton

Was good and hot today - 93 with 88% humidity....

The DA35 ran flawlessly - 6 twelve min flights back to back - 5-10 min between flights.

When I quit for the day the engine was in much better than I was.

Did the lip and opened bottom of fuselage.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by jimfergie
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Mar 2016
18 Posts
I had a brand new DA-35 last year that had a bunch of problems. Tuning issues, low needle had to be 2 1/2 turns out to run OK. Sent it in, they said debris in the carb screen (came that way from Walbro) , timing was off and an intermittent short in the CDI. Ran OK then not, sent it back 2nd time. They rebuilt the carb and said it was OK. Ran OK then out of tune, noticed they had blue Loctited the tuning screws. Ran OK then not again, sent it back 3rd time and I told them to keep it, exchanged it for a 70 twin.
That engine is very strong and vibrates a lot. It was shaking my new EF Slick apart. Got a new DLE 30 for it that runs fine.
At Nall they said they Loctite the screws because they back out. You're supposed to find your tuning, make a note on the turns and Loctite them in. ???
jimfergie is offline Find More Posts by jimfergie
Old 09-05-2019, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis P
Canada, AB, Rycroft
Joined Jan 2018
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfergie View Post
I had a brand new DA-35 last year that had a bunch of problems. Tuning issues, low needle had to be 2 1/2 turns out to run OK. Sent it in, they said debris in the carb screen (came that way from Walbro) , timing was off and an intermittent short in the CDI. Ran OK then not, sent it back 2nd time. They rebuilt the carb and said it was OK. Ran OK then out of tune, noticed they had blue Loctited the tuning screws. Ran OK then not again, sent it back 3rd time and I told them to keep it, exchanged it for a 70 twin.
That engine is very strong and vibrates a lot. It was shaking my new EF Slick apart. Got a new DLE 30 for it that runs fine.
At Nall they said they Loctite the screws because they back out. You're supposed to find your tuning, make a note on the turns and Loctite them in. ???
Wow sounds like you had some issues. I have around 7 gallons through mine since June of last year all in the same airframe and zero issues with the motor or airframe (AJ laser). I think it runs pretty smooth for a single.
Dennis P is offline Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old 09-06-2019, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by eheliflyer
TEAM FUTABA
Mansfield Oh
Joined May 2006
1,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfergie View Post

So what your saying is DA provided excellent service on an engine you were having issues with, and ultimately allowed you an exchange for a 70.
eheliflyer is offline Find More Posts by eheliflyer
Old 09-08-2019, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by jimfergie
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Mar 2016
18 Posts
yep, very good service.
very well made engines.

It appears they've had some issue's with their suppliers of CDI's and carburetors from what I've experienced and heard from others.
We have 3 DA-70's and they run well.
jimfergie is offline Find More Posts by jimfergie

Quick Reply