logo
Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by SokhaPann
Chkwoot
United States, VA, Lorton
Joined Jul 2007
13 Posts
Re: 42" AJ Slick on the way!

A few days ago, I had to run Hacker 30-28s in Slick 42 on the ground for like one minute and fried the motor! The motor was brand new and it was never flown! I was very disappointed. I used X-40 esc, APCe 11 x 5.5 and TP 2100. I am looking for another new similar motor - what do you suggest? I want a reliable, cheaper one.
SokhaPann is offline Find More Posts by SokhaPann
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Chkwoot
Joined Jul 2007
13 Posts

Also, I just wanted to know - is it NORMAL that HS-65MG servos for ailerons, elevator, and rudder are clicking when they are moving such as ailerons up and down? I don't really wanna damage the servos when I turn movements.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

The OMEGA 72g that Ben sales is perfect IMHO and not expensive, a pretty good bargain...I had one but burned it up by not watching temps on a LOT of consecutive flights in a row (had a lot of packs charged) and when I went to order a replacement they were out of stock so I went with the heavier 103g and while it has more power the plane doesn't seem to perform the way it was with the 72g...even waterfalls require you to get OUT of the power to do them whereas with the 72g I could just nail it and hit full down and it would waterfall itself to death if I let it...
SportFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by vwchad
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SokhaPann View Post
Also, I just wanted to know - is it NORMAL that HS-65MG servos for ailerons, elevator, and rudder are clicking when they are moving such as ailerons up and down? I don't really wanna damage the servos when I turn movements.
No, it is not normal for you to hear a clicking sound when you move your controls. May want to make sure you are not binding and that the controls move freely. Check to see if the noise still happens when the servo linkage is disconnected. Then you can determine if it is the servo or the plane making the noise.
vwchad is offline Find More Posts by vwchad
Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Chkwoot
Joined Jul 2007
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwchad View Post
No, it is not normal for you to hear a clicking sound when you move your controls. May want to make sure you are not binding and that the controls move freely. Check to see if the noise still happens when the servo linkage is disconnected. Then you can determine if it is the servo or the plane making the noise.
The servos disconnecting the linkages are fine without any clicking sound. The linkages are connected to all controls, I still hear a clicking sound - how do I omit it? I'm struggling on that part.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

OK all you lectric guys just a little advise on set up. The trouble with being in this hobby for so long is that you loose track of what you got. I'm getting ready to gear up my little 42 inch Slick and I'm wondering if the servos I have laying around would work on this little jewel. I'll be running the Omega 72 with ElectriFly 45A esc, 1800mah 30C, and for servos I have a handful of the HXT900s, or a handful of GWS Micro MG, and maybe a Hitec HS81MG. The GWS servos are heavy, about 28 grams, the HXTs are 9 gram servos I use on my foamies, park 400 size. What do you guys think? Should I buy servos or will some of these be ok....................................

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SokhaPann View Post
The servos disconnecting the linkages are fine without any clicking sound. The linkages are connected to all controls, I still hear a clicking sound - how do I omit it? I'm struggling on that part.
So with your servos disconnected from the linkages and control surfaces you still get a click sound when you move the servos with the radio? If so, then there may be a problem with your servos. With all of the control linkages disconnected, move one servo at a time, with the radio, not by hand, and see which servo makes the noise. I would say that you should repair or replace any servo making clicking sounds. A little gear noise is ok, particularly from metal gear servos, but clicking sounds or excessive gear noise would not be normal.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Wishin' I was flyin'
Washington
Joined Apr 2009
801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeer View Post
OK all you lectric guys just a little advise on set up. The trouble with being in this hobby for so long is that you loose track of what you got. I'm getting ready to gear up my little 42 inch Slick and I'm wondering if the servos I have laying around would work on this little jewel. I'll be running the Omega 72 with ElectriFly 45A esc, 1800mah 30C, and for servos I have a handful of the HXT900s, or a handful of GWS Micro MG, and maybe a Hitec HS81MG. The GWS servos are heavy, about 28 grams, the HXTs are 9 gram servos I use on my foamies, park 400 size. What do you guys think? Should I buy servos or will some of these be ok....................................

Tom
I would say that the HXT900s would probably work. I've had really good luck with with those servos myself, although not in a plane this big. The torque is pretty close to the HS65, which is what I have in mine. The HS81MG is probably a bit big. Not sure about those GWS servos. Never used them before.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

Thanks vwchad; I've had good luck with the 900s as well. Think I'll give them a try. The GWS sevos have about 76oz.in. of tork and are a bit heavy. I used one as a throttle servo on my small gasser, 40cc on a EF Yak and it's still going strong after 600+ flights. I guess a lot of guys use them for combat. I was pretty sure the 900s were strong enough but the gear train looks a little week. I'll find out.......................

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

Got the Hitec 65's in mine also...
SportFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Old 12-29-2010, 07:40 PM
Chkwoot
Joined Jul 2007
13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailraiser33 View Post
I run Turnigy 35-36C motor swinging 12x6 prop, 40amp Reaper esc, 2150 20c Rhino packs, hs 5065 servos.I love it, unlimited vert and hover all day with out any issues. And my $25 Turnigy turns 900 more rpm tha my buddys Omega. He baught a Turnigy after flying mine. Omega is good, but if you like plenty of HP like myself I recomend the Turnigy and its cheap. I have over 100 flights with no issues.
I am curious - did you put the motor in a full throttle all the way in the air without any issues? Or, does it have to be a limited time before it goes to overheat or damage?

Quick Reply