logo
This thread is privately moderated by 03fomoco, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts
Re: American Airlines, Ford Trucks, 135 a barrel, getting nervous here!

OK... its Back to School time here in Georgia (appropriately named like our Russian Republic), and time for my rant about teaching our kids to live in a Communist environment. Here goes.

Last week, we received a letter from the school system, advising us that lunches would now be $1.80 per day. Not a problem. It goes on to inform parents that if any students are children of migrant workers (read that to say aliens) and if they have NOT received information on the FREE lunch program, please contact the school. This is insane.. but its not the reason I write.

Each year, we are presented with a list of "school supplies" that our son needs to bring to school. The list includes the obvious, pencils, glue, magic markers, etc.. I do take a little offense to the reality that the families need to provide the teacher with magic markers and other "teacher" supplies, but I can turn my head to that for a while. What absolutely infuriates me, and almost got me arrested last year, was the fact that the kids need to bring all of their supplies to school at the beginning of the year.... and put them in a "common" box for everyone to use. We are cautioned to buy and bring only Yellow #2 pencils, no "character" pencils, etc..

Why do our kids have to turn their property over to the school? So the school can decide if and when they need a new yellow #2 pencil. And if one of our free lunch eating disenfranchised youth, who probably didn't bring any pencils to school in the first place, needs a Yellow #2 pencil, they will receive one of my son's. It's all about leveling the playing field and giving everyone an opportunity to succeed.

Bull Sh(t.

Its teaching our kids Communism, and its tearing at the fabric of responsibility and accomplishment. Its acusing the school of practicing Communism that got me in hot water last year, but that's EXACTLY what it is.

Remember back in grade school when some kids had scooby-doo pencils? Did the fact that you didn't have one make you kill him for a pencil? No. Maybe the other kid was more fortunate, maybe he was spoiled, and maybe he just had a freekin pencil that was different from yours. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wouldn't waste time on this if it were just about pencils. This practice runs throughout our public school system, and its going to force me into the private system. The idea that the "system" is much better prepared to manage my property is just unacceptable.

If I wanted the well-fed disinfranchised youth to have a pencil, I'd hire his migrant dad to do some work in my yard, pay him $10 per hour to do it, and the dad could buy some pencils. That kid can take the pencil that his father bought, learn math, ENGLISH and other skills necessary to succeed in this country, get his PHd, cure the common cold, and make ga-zillions selling the pills. THAT's what America used to be all about.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Last edited by reyn3545; 07-23-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

That's okay, in case they haven't started it there yet, wait until the parents of the illegals get breakfast and lunch with their kids and your child only gets day of academic instruction because they have to stop and teach everything twice, once in spanish.
Al Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Al Lewis
Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Now this is funny! LMAO
Last edited by Al Lewis; 07-23-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts

Hey.. not so fast... the classes are already slowed down considerably because the ESL (English as a second language) kids don't pick up on some of the subject matter as fast as the other kids... my son (he'll be in the 4th grade) spends a LOT of his time, at the teacher's request, teaching these kids how to add and subtract. Its absolutely insane! I'm not raising him to be a freeking social worker... at least I didn't think so.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts

Its not really about the pencils.. its the mindset they are instilling in our youth... its OK, even preferred to hand your property over to someone else, who is better equipped to determine its best use. It starts with pencils, and only Yeltzin knows where it ends.

I had a desk at school, and in that desk was a pencil box. All my "property" stayed in there. Any overflow was at my parents house. If anybody got in the pencil box, they were stealing. I learned to take care of my pencil box and be responsible for making sure it had the stuff I needed to get through the day. Responsibility... Ownership... You know, the building blocks of a successful life.

Why don't we all bring our planes to the field, throw them on the line and pile up the radios for anyone to use? Because they are OUR PROPERTY!!! I don't want the combat boys to tie a streamer on my 46% Ultimate and try to dive bomb it with a $50 plastic plane.... and I don't want Julio to eat the eraser off of my son's Yellow #2 pencil then help himself to another one.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

reyn3545,
I owned a company that wrote software that supported the free lunch program. I don't have time now, but this evening I will post some of the issues we had to handle in the software to protect the illegals and criminals in the school system. It will turn your stomach.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,426 Posts

reyn3545--- Your lucky, you live in GA. You would not believe the sh$t that happens in the wonderful peoples republic of california
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts

Sounds like its all 1bwana1's fault!! Not really, his company just developed a piece of software to meet the needs of the fatherland.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,761 Posts

What happens if you child doesn't turn in a years supply? Will they deny your child an education?
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts

and risk harming his fragile psyche? I suspect they'd send a couple of letters home with him (since his parents can read English) asking that we get with the program. Sorry, I don't mean to sound so narrow minded on this, but it REALLY gets to me, every year.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:10 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
Sounds like its all 1bwana1's fault!! Not really, his company just developed a piece of software to meet the needs of the fatherland.
Believe me I often felt anger when working with this program. My company also wrote the software that managed Child Care payments for Welfare parents going to school, and or transitioning to work, that was just a bad. The software that ran the Federal Courts for the super liberal 9th Circuit out here in the West was another program we worked on. I can tell a lot of stories about how that system works! But back to the free lunch program.

The first thing we have to realize is that the free lunch program is a profit center for the schools, and any companies that run the cafeterias for the schools. The Federal Government pays them for each meal served. A great part of the program is dedicated to making sure that any student that can qualify by even the biggest stretch of the rules, gets enrolled for as many meals as possible. This results in most districts having more than 50% of their students enrolled. I can't believe that 50% of parents cannot pay for a simple lunch for their children. Many students not only get a free, or partially subsidized lunch, but also get breakfast, and after school snacks. The schools get paid per meal, and a great part of the food comes to the schools free, or heavily subsidized from the Feds, so the cost to the schools is super low. The programs are very serious about collecting from the government. But if the parents are supposed to contribute an amount, they are very lax in collecting from them. The idea is that no child should ever be denied a lunch. In fact, in most schools, even if you are not enrolled in the program, if you send your child to school without lunch, they will feed them, and bill the government. In many districts there were features in place that compared the daily attendance records against the number of lunches served, and assumed that if a qualified student was at school at any time during that day, he must have had his meals. The government would be billed even if there was no record of him eating at the cafeteria, under the assumption that it must have been a mistake at cafeteria checkout. The fact that he was in attendance would get it by the rare government audit.

Qualifying for the program is easy, basically it is a form that the parents fill out at the beginning of the school year. The information is rarely (dont even know how they would do it) verified, and certainly not questioned by school staff. You could drive up in your brand new car, fill out the form, and get you kids in the program. Once a child is qualified for the lunch program for a school year, it is unlikely that he will be removed. If the parents financial situation changes, they would have to come in and tell the school to take them off. Not likely to happen.

One problem they were having, is that the vouchers handed out for lunch every day became a form of currency in the school yard. Kids sell the vouchers for cash, and bring a lunch from home. The schools are aware of this, but they don't want to stop it because it "helps the poorer families get by". One way the government tried to deal with this is to issue picture IDs to kids for their lunches. Of course these were often also sold. Their were objections to the kids having to have an ID because it identified them as poor, so many districts wouldn't use them. We came up with an real time finger print identification system that proved that the right kid was at least in the lunch line getting the food, didn't require and embarrassing showing of a voucher, or ID, and saved the government big money by reducing fraud. This of course was not too popular in many places because it cots the schools money. Of course this is not the argument they gave for rejecting it. The most often objection was that this type of identification gathered information about the student's identity that could be misused by authorities to find out who might be an illegal immigrant, or could be compared to evidence at crime scenes to identify students who were gang members or committed other crimes. We must make sure our illegals and criminals are properly fed.

Like most government run programs, it became a cash cow for many, and entangled in political agendas. All of which limit it's effectiveness in helping those that really need it, and costing the tax payers much more than it should.
Last edited by 1bwana1; 07-23-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,548 Posts

I do a fair bit of work for the Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD). It is the second largest school district in the US, NYC is #1. In the course of my work we frequently have to do public notices and need to prepare them in all the languages that kids at that school or the neighborhood speak. Spanish is a given. But we have also done several dialects of Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, and Farsi!! And I even had to do Armenian once.

What really grabs me is how many schools I go to where all the signs are in both English and Spanish, and sometimes Spanish is first, with English below it. And I frequently hear nothing but Spanish being spoken by both the students AND the staff!!! I'm the one who feels like a foreigner!!

Then we get political candidates pandering by speaking Spanish instead of English. Sad fact is that in many parts of the US, Latin American people are the majority. South Orange County where I live has several cities (San Juan Capistrano for instance) that are already over 50% Latino.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 07-23-2008, 07:28 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
and risk harming his fragile psyche? I suspect they'd send a couple of letters home with him (since his parents can read English) asking that we get with the program. Sorry, I don't mean to sound so narrow minded on this, but it REALLY gets to me, every year.
How about all the little fund raising things the schools send home with the kids. Selling candy bars and such. They post the numbers on the boards in class so that kids will pressure their parents to take them to work and sell them. I hated that.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Port Orchard, WA
Joined Nov 2007
6,911 Posts

Let me tell you my read on that situation Judge. I'm sure you've heard it before. There are Americans living in all of our cities and Americans speak English. If you don't want to be an American then piss off back to the 3rd world hole you crawled out of.

1bwana1 I found a way to stop those. Just inform the school that they are aiding and abetting child molesters by sending kids out door to door.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:38 PM
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

But would they still be over 50% Latino if all of the illegals were sent home?

Thank God my immigrant grand parents, who only spoke Italian when the got here, did not cripple my father and me by failing to learn English. They spoke Italian to each other when they were alone, and English (heavily accented) to their children and grand children. Of course, our schools were all in English, not Italian. I'm sure this went a long way towards helping my father and his brother, first generation Americans, get through the Naval Academy. Can you imagine dual language signs, and orders, on the Nuclear Subs my dad skippered. Wouldn't work so well. What is this generation of language crippled kids going to do in similar circumstances?
Last edited by 1bwana1; 07-23-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quick Reply