logo
This thread is privately moderated by 03fomoco, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,506 Posts
Re: American Airlines, Ford Trucks, 135 a barrel, getting nervous here!

I hate to open this can of worms (sort of)... but has anyone heard his stance on Civil Rights?
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, KY, Fort Mitchell
Joined Feb 2006
10,849 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by japan3d View Post
Only if you all ask real nice.
Pretty please with sugar on top?
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 07-26-2008, 06:47 AM
Joined Feb 2006
10,849 Posts

Here's some things to think about.

Very interesting George Will column no matter what way you think you're going to vote.

George Will's questions to Barack Obama, i.e. What country do you want lead?
0D

May 5, 2008 issue of Newsweek
'Questions for Obama' by George F. Will
"Senator, concerning the criteria by which you will nominate judges, you said: 'We need somebody who's got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African-Americ an, or gay, or disabled, or old.' Such sensitivities might serve an admirable legislator, but what have they to do with judging? Should a judge side with whichever party in a controversy stirs his or her empathy? Is such personalization of the judicial function inimical to the rule of law?
• Voting against the confirmation of Chief Justice John Roberts, you said: Deciding 'truly difficult cases' should involve 'one's deepest values, one's core concerns, one's broader perspectives on how the world works, and the depth and breadth of one's empathy.' Is that not essentially how Chief Justice Roger Taney decided the Dred Scott case? Should other factors—say, the language of the constitutional or statutory provision at issue—matter?
• You say, 'The insurance companies, the drug companies, they're not going to give up their profits easily when it comes to health care.' Why should they? Who will profit from making those industries unprofitable? When pharmaceutical companies have given up their profits, who will fund pharmaceutical innovations, without which there will be much preventable suffering and death? What other industries should 'give up their profits'?
• ExxonMobil's 2007 profit of $40.6 billion annoys you. Do you know that its profit, relative to its revenue, was smaller than Microsoft's and many other corporations'? And that reducing ExxonMobil's profits will injure people who participate in mutual funds, index funds and pension funds that own 52 percent of the company?
• You say John McCain is content to 'watch [Americans'] home prices decline.' So, government should prop up housing prices generally? How? Why? Were prices ideal before the bubble popped? How does a senator know ideal prices? Have you explained to young couples straining to buy their first house that declining prices are a misfortune?
• Telling young people 'don't go into corporate America ,' your wife, Michelle, urged them to become social workers or others in 'the helping industry,' not 'the moneymaking industry.' Given that the moneymakers pay for 100 percent of American jobs, in both public and private sectors, is it not helpful?
• Michelle, who was born in 1964, says that most Americans' lives have 'gotten progressively worse since I was a little girl.' Since 1960, real per capita income has increased 143 percent, life expectancy h as increased by seven years, infant mortality has declined 74 percent, deaths from heart disease have been halved, childhood leukemia has stopped being a death sentence, depression has become a treatable disease, air and water pollution have been drastically reduced, the number of women earning a bachelor's degree has more than doubled, the rate of home ownership has increased 10.2 percent, the size of the average American home has doubled, the percentage of homes with air conditioning has risen from 12 to 77, the portion of Americans who own shares of stock has quintupled. Has your wife perhaps missed some pertinent developments in this country that she calls 'just downright mean'?
• You favor raising the capital gains tax rate to '20 percent or 25 percent.' You say this will not 'distort' economic decision making. Your tax returns on your 2007 income of $4.2 million show that you and Michelle own few stocks. Are you sure you understand how investors make decisions?
• During the ABC debate, you acknowledged that when the capital gains rate was dropped first to 20 percent, then to 15 percent, government revenues from the tax increased and they declined in the 1980s when it was increased to 28 percent. Nevertheless, you said you would consider raising the rate 'for purposes of fairness.' How does decreasing the government's financial resources and punishing investors promote fairness? Are you aware that 20 percent of taxpayers reporting capital gains in 2006 had incomes of less than $50,000?
• You favor eliminating the cap on earnings subject to the 12.4 percent Social Security tax, which now covers only the first $102,000. A Chicago police officer married to a Chicago public-school teacher, each with 20 years on the job, have a household income of $147,501, so you would take another $5,642 from them. Are they undertaxed? Are they too rich?
• This November, electorates in four states will vote on essentially this language: 'The state shall not discriminate against, or grant preferential treatment to, any individual or group on the basis of race, sex, color, ethnicity or national origin in the operation of public employment, public education or public contracting.' Three states— California , Washington and Michigan —have enacted such language. You made a radio ad opposing the Michigan initiative. Why? Are those states' voters racists?
• You denounce President Bush for arrogance toward other nations. Yet you vow to use a metaphorical 'hammer' to force revisions of trade agreements unless certain weaker nations adjust their labor, environmental and other domestic policies to suit you. Can you define cognitive dissonance?
• You want 'to reduce money in politics.' In February and March you raised $95 million. See prior question.

Cognitive dissonance is a psychological state that describes the uncomfortable feeling when a person begins to understand that something the person believes to be true is, in fact, not true. Similar to ambivalence, the term cognitive dissonance describes conflicting thoughts or beliefs (cognitions) that occur at the same time, or when engaged in behaviors that conflict with one's beliefs. In academic literature, the term refers to attempts to reduce the discomfort of conflicting thoughts, by performing actions that are opposite to one's beliefs.

Last edited by Craven; 07-26-2008 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

Good post!!!
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 AM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,426 Posts

Hey, what about the wonderful trans-fat ban that will take place in california???????????????
Pretty soon big brother is going to tell you when and where you can go to the bathroom
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 07-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Lurker
Antioch, Tennessee, USA
Joined Jan 2008
14,179 Posts

Well if you go more that 1 time/day, you are contributing a vast amount of greenhouse gases. You may not meet California's emissions standards.
3Dguy is offline Find More Posts by 3Dguy
Old 07-26-2008, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post

Japan3D. . thank you for your service. . Judge .. it's not worth arguing with people who stoop so low.
I'll add you to the long list of people so caught up in their own dogma that they completely missed the point.

Japan3D got it. Within about 3 seconds of the post.

Oh well.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 07-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,198 Posts

i wonder what b. h. obama would say if asked what he will do for the hard working middle class and how important he thinks we are and how much of a right we have to keep some/most of our EARNED money.

i'm sure that would be a WAY ROUND ABOUT answer!!!!!!!

all i want is for the leaders of the govt to "teach to the smart kids"!!! make decisions that benefit the people that are paying for everything not those that drain the accts of america!

my name is matt mikesh and i approve this message!!!!!!!!!!!
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 07-26-2008, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Huck Yeah!!!
California
Joined Mar 2006
1,675 Posts

Quote:
i wonder what b. h. obama would say if asked what he will do for the hard working middle class and how important he thinks we are and how much of a right we have to keep some/most of our EARNED money.

i'm sure that would be a WAY ROUND ABOUT answer!!!!!!!

all i want is for the leaders of the govt to "teach to the smart kids"!!! make decisions that benefit the people that are paying for everything not those that drain the accts of america!

my name is matt mikesh and i approve this message!!!!!!!!!!!
I think this Chinese proverb states it well...
"Rich man take food from poor man to feed poor man."
When you have candidates that have over $40 billion dollars in net worth, it's really hard for them to actually care about lower classes than themselves.

Anyone ever heard of a "Trickle Down Economy"? Basically, if you give the rich guy money, it should eventually "trickle down" to the lower classes.
ferocious frankie is offline Find More Posts by ferocious frankie
Old 07-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious frankie View Post
Anyone ever heard of a "Trickle Down Economy"? Basically, if you give the rich guy money, it should eventually "trickle down" to the lower classes.
The biggest problem I see with this theory is that we are more in a "Trickle UP" economy. That is where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Old 07-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by KrisW
Eccentricus Magnus
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Jan 2006
3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocious frankie View Post

Even if Obama was ever a muslim, which he wasn't, why would it matter?

!
Well. . any Muslim would have a really hard time with Obama if he had been a Muslim in his youth, and then denounced it and became a Christian. Muslims still have this thing about stoning apostates, you know. . It could get realy nasty with such a high profile political figure. You think what happened after the "Muhammed cartoon" was something noteworthy? If Obama was an apostate, it might cause a truly serious Jihad with thousands willing to die in order to bring him down.

Do not underestimate the political relevance of Obama's alleged Islamic activity as a young man. The Muslim scholars are watching him, I am sure. If he becomes President, I can almost guarantee that there will be a very thorough dissection of his religiious past by the Imam's and Ayatollahs to determine if this is even more ammunition to use against the "Great Satan".
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old 07-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
La Jolla, CA USA
Joined Oct 2006
2,715 Posts

My guess is that Apostate or not, the Muslims are not going to kill the best friend they could possibly have in the White House. They are zealots, not stupid.
1bwana1 is offline Find More Posts by 1bwana1
Old 07-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Joined Feb 2006
10,849 Posts

Some people don't understand unless you show them cartoons

SELDOM SEENOBAMA CARTOONS

[FONT='Arial', 'sans-serif']

[/FONT]
Old 07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Joined Feb 2006
10,849 Posts

Japan3d has been watching this thread. Yet, after we asked him very nicely, he has failed to tell us what he does. Maybe we have yet another on this thread who is so top secret, his records are sealed, and top secret.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by japan3d
Mr. Cessna
Japan, Ibaraki-ken, Sashima-gun
Joined Jan 2006
2,145 Posts

OK Craven, here's what I do for you. Aircraft mechanic. All you hade to was click the link for my homepage and you would have known like everybody else.
japan3d is online now Find More Posts by japan3d

Quick Reply