logo
Old 07-19-2019, 07:28 AM
Find More Posts by ttaylor63
United States, TX, Floresville
Joined Apr 2011
384 Posts
Yea I had one of the bigger Ravens & my canopy warped as well on it but not quite as bad as yours. Good luck on re maiden. Those temps sound little high but being on the ground with no air flow prolly is why... Why did you block off the 2 outside openings for anyways...Think gonna leave mine open & see. Where I live the outside temps are hovering around 90-100 degrees lately...
ttaylor63 is offline Find More Posts by ttaylor63
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-19-2019, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by Phil liebo
United States, TN, Sevierville
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor63 View Post
Yea I had one of the bigger Ravens & my canopy warped as well on it but not quite as bad as yours. Good luck on re maiden. Those temps sound little high but being on the ground with no air flow prolly is why... Why did you block off the 2 outside openings for anyways...Think gonna leave mine open & see. Where I live the outside temps are hovering around 90-100 degrees lately...
Someone on this thread recommended I block those off so all of the air coming in would go directly over the cooling fins.
I realized after I did it that I no longer have access to my choke rod.
Now that I know what my temps are on the ground with no cowl, I will check it in the air and see if it runs cooler with those inlets blocked off, so I guess we are calling it an experiment for now.
Phil liebo is offline Find More Posts by Phil liebo
Old 07-19-2019, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Jason T
Canada, ON, Sudbury
Joined Sep 2015
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil liebo View Post
Someone on this thread recommended I block those off so all of the air coming in would go directly over the cooling fins.
I realized after I did it that I no longer have access to my choke rod.
Now that I know what my temps are on the ground with no cowl, I will check it in the air and see if it runs cooler with those inlets blocked off, so I guess we are calling it an experiment for now.
Did you open up the bottom more than your last pictures? and add a low pressure lip?
Im thinking that engine is going to be too hot.
Jason T is offline Find More Posts by Jason T
Old 07-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason T View Post
Did you open up the bottom more than your last pictures? and add a low pressure lip?
Im thinking that engine is going to be too hot.
I did take a little more out and ran a bead of caulk to make a lip on the front edge. I wasn’t able to get much more out of the opening unless I go ahead and take it out all the way around the exhaust tubes. Do you think I should do that? What max temp should I be looking for?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
All went well with the re-maiden!
After repairing landing gear, installing new bowman ring, new VVRC fuel tank, re-installed carb gaskets,( one of the gaskets had a little folded over corner) ( I’m wondering if that was my problem the whole time)
Engine set super rich, no dead stick!
My temps were around 260 degrees in the air with new baffling. (Closing off twin air inlets, enlarging exit outlet)
3 great flights leaning out a little at a time. Nothing too exciting today, but she sure is a great flyer!
Can’t wait to get engine fully broken in and really start to wring out this plane!
Old 07-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
384 Posts
Glad all went well on maiden. I'm plugging along on mine. Almost finished.. Just can't get motivated to finish it up.. The 100 plus temps dont help much either...
Old 07-20-2019, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Glad to hear it went well!!!
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by Yakov
Take-off EH! U Hosehead!
Missisauga ON Canada EH!
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Hi Guys i got the Green version with Edge wings and was disappointed no Manual but can get that on-line. Did you guys get the Engine Mounting Templates that the manual says comes with the plane because there are none in any of the two boxes I received.

Mounting a DA35 in mine along with a Pro-Flow Canister. Have a deadline of next Thursday for a Huckin Event up here in The Great White North. Doing two elevator servos and Pull-Pull Rudder.
Yakov is offline Find More Posts by Yakov
Old 08-10-2019, 08:11 PM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
Hi Guys i got the Green version with Edge wings and was disappointed no Manual but can get that on-line. Did you guys get the Engine Mounting Templates that the manual says comes with the plane because there are none in any of the two boxes I received.

Mounting a DA35 in mine along with a Pro-Flow Canister. Have a deadline of next Thursday for a Huckin Event up here in The Great White North. Doing two elevator servos and Pull-Pull Rudder.
Excellent! That green one is so cool!
I didn’t have a manual and just figured it out as I went. Wasn’t too bad. Enlarging the slots for the horns was about the biggest pain in the ass.
I didn’t see any templates in mine either. I believe the firewall is already drilled for the DA 35 isn’t it?

You’re gonna love this with the edge wings, it’s amazing. Finally got my engine running great and just getting everything dialed in good now. It’s a wonderful flying aircraft!
It balances perfectly with one elevator servo so if using two I would plan on moving batteries way forward and maybe put throttle servo as close to front as possible.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:16 PM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Oh, you’re using canister exhaust, that may affect balance and work out good with two elevator servos.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
384 Posts
I have the Raven with the Dbl Tapered wings. Its pretty much ready to fly after replacing my ignition pickup & putting a Bowman ring on my DLE 35. Now just need to find time to go out and fly it...
Old 08-11-2019, 12:38 AM
Find More Posts by Yakov
Take-off EH! U Hosehead!
Missisauga ON Canada EH!
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil liebo View Post
Oh, you’re using canister exhaust, that may affect balance and work out good with two elevator servos.
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response.

They have the Manual on their website now but I still had to print it out as I hate reading from a computer screen. I also detest cell phones and long for the day of a Motorola Radio in my service truck but I digress. LOL!

Yes the Firewall is already pre-drilled for a DA35 but with no templates, (as stated in the manual as included) it may not be so easy for other folks using a different engine. Did your DLE bolt right on or did you have to re-drill?

I mainly fly IMAC but most of the regular guys I hang around with are Huckers and lately I've been flying at more Hucking Events then IMAC so wanted something relatively inexpensive to throw around as "I Will NOT 3D My IMAC PLANE" LOL! so that's why I went with the Edge wing as I really find and Edge is better suited for Hucking and I really like the way an Edge does a Hammer so while the Raven is not an Edge this one has Edge wings. I also find Kawasaki Green easy to see in the sky. LOL
Old 08-11-2019, 03:45 AM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylor63 View Post
I have the Raven with the Dbl Tapered wings. Its pretty much ready to fly after replacing my ignition pickup & putting a Bowman ring on my DLE 35. Now just need to find time to go out and fly it...
Awesome! Once you find time to fly the Raven, you’re not gonna want to put it down. I flew mine more times in four hours than I’ve flown my other planes in a month.

What size prop do you run on that DLE35? I put on a Xoar 20x8 and liking it so far. I’m going out today to get some more flights on it.

I also did the bowman ring and put that new carb on my DLE 35. I was getting leaning of the engine while inverted and the new carb seems to have stopped it. This engine has been a challenge and I’m sure I’ll never buy one again but I may have just gotten a lemon.
Good luck getting some flying time! Let us know how you like the double tapered wings, I may order a set.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:16 AM
Joined Apr 2018
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakov View Post
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response.

They have the Manual on their website now but I still had to print it out as I hate reading from a computer screen. I also detest cell phones and long for the day of a Motorola Radio in my service truck but I digress. LOL!

Yes the Firewall is already pre-drilled for a DA35 but with no templates, (as stated in the manual as included) it may not be so easy for other folks using a different engine. Did your DLE bolt right on or did you have to re-drill?

I mainly fly IMAC but most of the regular guys I hang around with are Huckers and lately I've been flying at more Hucking Events then IMAC so wanted something relatively inexpensive to throw around as "I Will NOT 3D My IMAC PLANE" LOL! so that's why I went with the Edge wing as I really find and Edge is better suited for Hucking and I really like the way an Edge does a Hammer so while the Raven is not an Edge this one has Edge wings. I also find Kawasaki Green easy to see in the sky. LOL
Hi Yakov, I hear ya on the cell phone thing, it’s a blessing and a curse.
I had to re-drill for DLE 35, I just traced out my engine footprint onto a piece of paper using my center line marks then folded the paper to fit on the firewall. If I remember right, the top two holes lined up but had to peg and re-drill the bottom holes. I agree, a template would have been nice!

Yeah, the Edge wings are great and I love the two wing options.
I can’t wait to fly some more today!
I’m going to the House Mountain Huck Fest in Knoxville TN today, I saw a couple of Ravens in the photos on the events page here and looking forward to meeting some new people and seeing their set ups. Having to show up on the last day of the event because I’ve been out of town but hopefully there will still be plenty of excitement.

Yours is looking great. Looks like you’re making good progress quickly!
Old 08-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Yakov
Take-off EH! U Hosehead!
Missisauga ON Canada EH!
Joined Jun 2006
754 Posts
Hey Phil,

Have fun today. I am going to an event next weekend, The Great Canadian Huckfest in Orillia, ON. It use to be hosted by a club I use to belong to that was down to 18 members from 150 and I brought in about 10 new members but all IMAC, Huckers and Jet guys and everything was fine for 3 years but then the club president went wacko and kicked us all out. I had been hosting IMAC events there for 10 years and a friend hosting Huckfest for 3 years and suddenly without a home. Never did find another club that was IMAC friendly put the Orillia club welcomed us Huckers with open arms and while it's two hours away it's worth the drive for the hospitality the club has provided these last 4 years. We hold 2 -3 Hucking Events there a year as well as a Maidenfest.

It's like a Joe Nall for Huckers there. The event officially is Aug 17/18 but guys with RV's will start showing up there as early as Tuesday Aug. 13th. It's one big party. We even get 2 or 3 of those big 4 light Construction Generator/Light Towers donated by a couple of guys and do Night Hucking with everything from foamies to 40% aircraft.

We even have The Huckfest Hotel! LOL!

Quick Reply