Old 05-31-2017, 06:07 AM
Find More Posts by mirored
United States, VA, Chesapeake
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleW2 View Post
You mean like this one?
I used the double sided tape method for mounting the wing servos and haven't had a problem. Steve went a different route and I don't think he has had any issues with his setup either.

Dale
Yes, same one. Glad to hear that you are having success with the tape. What tape did you end up using?

I have seen pictures of Steve's but hard to see details of what he used and how. Maybe I just need to get over my old way of thinking and the fear of not using mechanical hardware and stick with using tape (see what I did there with stick?)
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-31-2017, 07:09 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,992 Posts
Recently saw one 'up close and personnel' at a modelers house.....wow, talk about thin wings and not being able to 'do what's normal/comfortable' with regard to wing servo mounting.

But it is a beautiful, well constructed airframe and obviously folks, including the manufacturer, don't see a problem with the servo mounting recommendation
Hinckley Bill is offline Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 05-31-2017, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirored View Post
Many times but the wing is too thin to accept it.
I would suggest you screw this not to the wing but to the lid that goes on the wing, in the pocket.

I could be wrong, but does the servo area cover haveva slot for the servo arm and 4 holes in corners for fastening it down to the wing?
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 05-31-2017, 10:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
I would suggest you screw this not to the wing but to the lid that goes on the wing, in the pocket.

I could be wrong, but does the servo area cover haveva slot for the servo arm and 4 holes in corners for fastening it down to the wing?
No, the wing pocket is wide open. It has no attachment method for a typical cover with mounting devices to it. Actually, the wing is so thin, the servo mounted directly to the top skin (bottom of the pocket) leaves the servo a little proud of the bottom surface. They provide ABS covers that are molded with a slight relief to attach above the servo, edges flush to the bottom wing surface.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
No, the wing pocket is wide open. It has no attachment method for a typical cover with mounting devices to it. Actually, the wing is so thin, the servo mounted directly to the top skin (bottom of the pocket) leaves the servo a little proud of the bottom surface. They provide ABS covers that are molded with a slight relief to attach above the servo, edges flush to the bottom wing surface.
thank you so much, I understand it now. very interesting design. so i guess in the bottom or the base of the pocket, you can glue on a 1/16th piece of plywood with epoxy, then, you can use this mount, and problem solved! or you could use 1/8'" thick ply, but the screws would go to the top of the wing. you can use these flat type of hex head screws, Button head screws. Just trying to help. Please do not be offended.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 05-31-2017, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
thank you so much, I understand it now. very interesting design. so i guess in the bottom or the base of the pocket, you can glue on a 1/16th piece of plywood with epoxy, then, you can use this mount, and problem solved! or you could use 1/8'" thick ply, but the screws would go to the top of the wing. you can use these flat type of hex head screws, Button head screws. Just trying to help. Please do not be offended.
Oh, absolutely no offense taken. I have been racking my brain and I will take anyone else's racking and brain power.

I will avoid anything that puts holes in the top of the wing. It is a beautiful piece and no need to alter the appearance. I have time to figure it out. This is not new to the sailplane folks, so I am hitting up a friend that runs https://www.scalesoaring.com/ for ideas as well.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by DaleW2
United States, SC, Aiken
Joined Aug 2008
206 Posts
The servo cover is plastic and mounts to the wing skin, typically by vinyl tape. There is no wood in the wing and it is extremely thin. The suggested method to mount (by Krill) is to brush slow epoxy onto the CF tape area where the servo will mount to form a large smooth area for the double sided tape to bond to (after it's cured), and then make sure the servo case is clean for the tape to bond to.
I used the 3M grey tape as it seemed stickier than the white tape suggested. It's also thinner than the white stuff which keeps the servo profile low. Speaking of servo profile, the type of servo used makes a difference. Check the servo case height before you commit to what you will use. The cover may not fit if the case is too high (laid on it's side).
I have had no issues at all with the double sided tape mounting method. If you think about how the load comes onto the case when the arm is deflected, it's spread across all of the surface area of the servo side & tape. A different way of mounting for sure, but it works!

Dale
DaleW2 is offline Find More Posts by DaleW2
Old 05-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Melbourne, FL, USA
Joined May 2007
621 Posts
Quote:
Oh, absolutely no offense taken. I have been racking my brain and I will take anyone else's racking and brain power.

I will avoid anything that puts holes in the top of the wing. It is a beautiful piece and no need to alter the appearance. I have time to figure it out. This is not new to the sailplane folks, so I am hitting up a friend that runs https://www.scalesoaring.com/ for ideas as well.
It's actually simple, for large scale composite sailplanes we have been using plywood servo frames.
I use Hysol to glue them in.

http://www.espritmodel.com/search.aspx?find=pt+frame

Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Old 05-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Zb, thanks for that. It was what I was looking for.

Andy (Red Racer #6)
Old 05-31-2017, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Swatin Flys
Chief Aircraft R/C Sales Tech.
Medford Or.
Joined Nov 2010
1,581 Posts
Thanks ZB I wish I had seen these before. Was nice to hang with you and your crew at Nall too.
Swatin Flys is offline Find More Posts by Swatin Flys
Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Steve, glad you approve. I was going to figure out how you did yours and now I am convinced that this will work fine from Zb. The installations on the plane should be straight forward now.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Melbourne, FL, USA
Joined May 2007
621 Posts
You guys are killing me, I am thinking very hard about getting one in all white. Would do full electric with wireless switch and in Jeti colors (business expense ), would be ice for large flying events.

Zb/Esprit
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Old 06-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Joined Apr 2011
54 Posts
Sounds very interesting
Old 06-01-2017, 06:11 PM
jlc
Find More Posts by jlc
jlc
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2012
595 Posts
Is there a flight characteristic or aerodynamic reason for the thin wings or is it purely weight savings?
jlc is offline Find More Posts by jlc
Old 06-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Find More Posts by Swatin Flys
Chief Aircraft R/C Sales Tech.
Medford Or.
Joined Nov 2010
1,581 Posts
Let me know ZB. We can work out a good price for you.
Swatin Flys is offline Find More Posts by Swatin Flys

Quick Reply