logo
Old 01-06-2010, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Kickin it OLD SCHOOL
Shreveport LA
Joined Jan 2006
903 Posts
A123 discharge rate?

I am trying out these batteries for the first time on a 126'' slick. I plan on using 8 7950's on the plane with 2 4600 packs. I was wondering if anyone out there has a similiar setup and how many flights they are "risking" until they recharge. Im not sure I am going to like not knowing how much juice I have left in my batteries.
JeremyHolt is offline Find More Posts by JeremyHolt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Re: A123 discharge rate?

i would never ask how many flight someone else is getting. you need to set up your place as best as possible and put 2 flights on and recharge. see how many mah your using. if your safe fly 3 or 4, recharge. keep doing that untill you find a comfortable recharge point. every setup and flying style is different.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 01-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by dick hanson
murray utah
Joined Jan 2006
2,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHolt View Post
I am trying out these batteries for the first time on a 126'' slick. I plan on using 8 7950's on the plane with 2 4600 packs. I was wondering if anyone out there has a similiar setup and how many flights they are "risking" until they recharge. Im not sure I am going to like not knowing how much juice I have left in my batteries.
If you are sold on the load meter test setups for checking batteries, don't buy the A123.
personally -I never had any faith in the cells which respond to the load meter testing .
Especially when they were coupled with regulators .
The A123 setup, properly used, is THE best setup for consistant max power output from full till empty.
It's all a matter of what you perceive as being BEST.
dick hanson is offline Find More Posts by dick hanson
Old 01-09-2010, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by TManiaci
Gasser Baby
Temecula, Mexifornia
Joined Jan 2006
503 Posts

I am running A123's in my 37.5% TOC Yak. I have the Powerbox Royal installed, and I am recording my flight data. I am using 700-1000 mAH per flight, average around 875 mAH. I am a novice 3D pilot, and generally fly mixed 3D and circle flying, so I don't tax them real hard. My flights are generally 10 minutes.

My current setup has twin 4800 mAH Iron Corps Fromeco (A123 copies). With this setup I can easily go 8+ flights, but my habits are to fly 3-4 flights on a typical outing. I have bought all the materials to build two new 2S1P 2300 mAH A123 packs. This will give me 4 flights, and reduce battery weight by half. Saving almost 12 ozs (3/4 lb) in the bird, which is my goal.

I also have a 2S1P 2300 mAH A123 pack on Ignition, and I'm changing that pack out for a home-made 2S1P 1100 mAH A123 Pack. I have a 3W157CS for power, and the typical 2 cylinder ignition system draws 650-800mA. My charge mAH agrees with that conservatively, and I use around 110-130 mAH per flight. The 1100 mAH pack should have enough for 7+ flights. This will save another 3 ozs.

So, I will save almost 1 lb in the re-equip effort. I should be able to fly 4 flights before recharge. I will check voltage before each flight, and continue to record my mAH usage after each flight. I will probably build four 2300 mAH packs, and rather than charge at the Field, change the packs after 3 flights to be safe if I am having a busy day. I have my packs installed on Velcro pads and Velcro straps, so swapping is not trouble at all.

I love the A123 technology. With current draw recorded at over 20 amps peak with my conservative flying style, I feel much safer having a system that can actually deliver 3 times what I need. My batteries connect directly to the Powerbox, so there is no switch to choke current. All the servos connect directly to the Powerbox with one extension, so they all can pull as much as they need, and the only restriction is the capacity of the servo connection (generally said to be 3-4 amps on JR connectors). I have 13 high torque control surface servos (3 - JR8611A's and 10 - Futaba 9156's), along with throttle and choke servos. 13 big servos can potentially pull 39-52 amps if they are all loaded to the max (never happens when the way I fly). The twin shared A123 packs can service 120 amps peak in this setup. No brown-outs in this rig, that's for sure.

I like conservative. Even the smaller 2S1P A123 packs give me more than I will ever need. I am sacrificing by limiting to 3-4 flights, but the weight savings is worth it as I try to advance my lame 3D Skills.
TManiaci is offline Find More Posts by TManiaci
Old 01-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by ScottZ
Egg Harbor,NJ
Joined Jan 2006
462 Posts

Jeremy, I have been running A123's for almost a year now. I also replaced the two 5955's for two 7950's for the rudder on two of my 35%ers. I immediately noticed an increase in battery consumption. A stalled 7950 can draw over 4 amps and with 8 of them in one plane the A123's are going to be your best option in my experience. Your choice of plane and servo combination is very good. On your first flight I would recharge with a charger that tells you how much capacity is put in. This will give you an idea of what you are using and if any servos are binding. I use a Hobbico in line amp/ voltmeter on every servo to see if there is binding before you fly. I like to see the lowest draw possible on these servos. These servos even at a nominal 6.6 volts put out a lot of power and are perfect for your application. Remember use capacity as an indicator and not a voltmeter loaded or unloaded and you will love these batteries once you get used to the capacity usage thing.
ScottZ is offline Find More Posts by ScottZ

Quick Reply