logo

Triple Tree Update - J3 Cub Flight to 48 States!

Here is some news from Triple on a full-scale adventure!

Splash

Ben Templeton will soon begin his J3 Cub flight to all of the 48 contiguous United States!

From Triple Tree

We all know that this will be a fantastic adventure for Ben and that it will have a very positive effect on his life! Triple Tree has always been a very positive destination for all of our visitors and guests and Ben's adventure will certainly make this more known across the U.S.!

BenFlies.com

The Triple Tree Aerodrome is proud to support BenFlies.com. This event is the culmination of years of planning and developing our Aviation Centered Education Portfolio or ACE. ACE is a comprehensive group of educational programs designed for current and aspiring aviators of all ages.

One of the program participants, Ben Templeton, has asked to fly the iconic Triple Tree Aerodrome J-3 Piper Cub to all 48 states over the summer of 2021. The inspiration for this flight came from the founder of the Triple Tree Aerodrome, Pat Hartness. Patís son Ryan flew across the country and back when he was 18 years of age in the same J-3 Cub. Ben saw firsthand how the journey helped develop Ryan into not only an excellent pilot but a productive citizen. Ryan is now employed with FedEx as a 777 Pilot and Ben shares the same goal of one day becoming a commercial pilot.

Ben will also serve as a youth ambassador for the Triple Tree Aerodrome to fulfill our mission to ignite and expand the passion for aviation. Ben has meticulously planned out his journey to fly to 48 states and will land at over 100 airports. Some of his highlights along the way will be to compete in the International Miniature Aerobatic Club (IMAC) international competition at the Academy of Model Aeronautics Headquarters in Muncie, Indiana, and landing at Amboy Airport on the iconic Route 66 in California.

Support Ben in Multiple Ways!

I just got off the phone with Mr. Pat from Triple Tree. He wanted to make sure everyone was aware of a couple of ways they could support Ben on his trip.

$100 or more donation will get your name on the side of the Cub forever! Not only will your name fly around the country with Ben it will be on the Cub when it comes back home in the Triple Tree hangar! There will also be a big party for people that donated at Fall in the Nall this year! Go here to make that donation.

Flight Facilitators - There are a lot of logistics in a flight like this and Ben will need help. I will have a list of all the airports this week. Ben has a lot of things to do in the air. Having some help on the ground will take some of the load off. If you would like to help out on the ground you can contact Ben.

Ben will graduate in June and after walking across the stage to get his diploma, he will head to the airport to begin his 8300-mile journey. According to Benís calculations visiting all 48 states will take a little over 2 months. After completing the trip, he will fly to Middle Georgia State University, where he plans to Major in Aviation Science Management.

Ben estimates the cost to be $15,000, including fuel, lodging, food, and maintenance. He will be actively fundraising to finance this trip. Please visit the website www.benflies.com to donate to the trip and to follow along with Ben on his journey!

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; 05-10-2021 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-10-2021, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
If you stop in Lodi California I’ve got a hangar, tools, and a place to stay. Just let me know.
Garrett Morrison
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2021, 07:25 PM
c/f
Find More Posts by c/f
c/f
Joined Feb 2008
80 Posts
Spent some time with Ben @ SEFF great kid, good luck friend, GO ERNIE WINGS
c/f is offline Find More Posts by c/f
Old 05-10-2021, 07:55 PM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
If you stop in Lodi California I’ve got a hangar, tools, and a place to stay. Just let me know.
Garrett Morrison
Looks like a number of CA stops, not sure if any are near Lodi.
https://tta.aero/wp-content/uploads/...nned-Route.pdf
suds is online now Find More Posts by suds
Old 05-11-2021, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by torquen
Lodi, Ca. USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Looks like a number of CA stops, not sure if any are near Lodi.
https://tta.aero/wp-content/uploads/...nned-Route.pdf
Heads out just a little west to Byron then back over to Merced. Straight line would put him right at my home airport.

Garrett
torquen is offline Find More Posts by torquen
Old 06-11-2021, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
594 Posts
Nice video article from AOPA on Ben's trip.
https://youtu.be/OT1zstBs6Ew?t=500
suds is online now Find More Posts by suds
Old 06-12-2021, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by japan3d
Mr. Cessna
Japan, Ibaraki-ken, Sashima-gun
Joined Jan 2006
2,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquen View Post
Heads out just a little west to Byron then back over to Merced. Straight line would put him right at my home airport.

Garrett
I did a few landings at Byron, back when the runway was just wide enough for a Cessna 172 landing gear.
japan3d is offline Find More Posts by japan3d

Quick Reply