logo
Old 05-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
944 Posts
Discussion
Ultimate vs. Mamba

Looking for a little input from my fellow enthusiasts... I currently have a Mamba 70 of which I absolutely love, it’s probably my go to plane at the moment.

The issue I face is that I would like a larger airframe. I’m torn between the Mamba 120 or the Krill Ultimate 300KS MK2.

I do favor composite as they stay looking new MUCH longer and the price difference between the two is negligible. I haven’t flown the Krill, so have no experience to pull from, but love the looks..

I believe the Krill may weigh a little more, but again, negligible. The wing profile of the Krill is also a thinner airfoil, interested on feedback of that too...

Anyone have any experience with both airframes that can add a little feedback?

TIA
GR8R8 is online now Find More Posts by GR8R8
Last edited by GR8R8; 05-13-2021 at 03:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-13-2021, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,832 Posts
Well, I've not flown either one with my experience being limited to F3A models and the Avanti which was basically pirated from Seba, but as a rule when comparing Krill to other manufacturers, the others lose.

There are downsides to the Krill; there is no manual included with their models. CS is virtually non existant, but their models usually fly exceptionally well.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 05-13-2021, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
944 Posts
I hear you on the manual, however seems as though Krill has answered that call with this model.

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/pdf/300ks-manual.pdf

I have no doubts that the Krill flies spectacularly, just curious to feedback between the two if there is anyone with experience on both. I favor the Krill on looks and composite construction, just need some feedback on flight characteristics as compared to the Mamba.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,330 Posts
I think this is a Ford -v- Chevy sort of thing. I decide which one I liked the looks of better. But myself I'd lean towards the big Mamba. I like round cowls and the Mamba 70 I have is awesome.
Judge is online now Find More Posts by Judge
Old 05-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I think this is a Ford -v- Chevy sort of thing. I decide which one I liked the looks of better. But myself I'd lean towards the big Mamba. I like round cowls and the Mamba 70 I have is awesome.
I love the flying characteristics of my Mamba, however itís starting to show a little wear from the ďmanyĒ ( has to be over 100) flights....

My composite planes still look like new with over 500 flights on them.

Curious to the thin wings on the Ultimate...
Old 05-13-2021, 06:06 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
628 Posts
It really depends on what you want, pattern flying lean towards the Ultimate like IMAC. The Ultimate land much faster because the thin airfoil. Now the Mamba love 3d fly slow and very nimble and quick, Not as percise as the Ultimate. The mamba will slow way down to land, and short field take off. But the Ultimate track like its on rails with speed. Like i said its up to you, My flying style is more 3d for me its the Mamba. How do you like to fly?
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman
Old 05-13-2021, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,322 Posts
Wing design,the Mamba has more of a forgiving wing with one swept the other straight.I like the Ultimate design and fly a Chip Hyde double vision.
closetguy is offline Find More Posts by closetguy
Old 05-13-2021, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by William_Burkert
United States, NC, Cary
Joined Oct 2013
913 Posts
The Ultimate is precise flying plane, I like to think of Ultimate 10 dash 300 a digital plane because it starts and stops maneuvers instantly like no other plane. The Mamba is very nice plane, I donít fly 3D and love how graceful the modified Pitts Model 12 flies and lands. I wish somebody would design a nice wood/gas Ultimate ARF but it seems like itís not in the cards.
William_Burkert is offline Find More Posts by William_Burkert
Old 05-13-2021, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,464 Posts
Krill is more pattern precision vs the mamba which in my opinion shines in all areas! If it were me i would go with a Mamba.
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 05-13-2021, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old nitroman View Post
It really depends on what you want, pattern flying lean towards the Ultimate like IMAC. The Ultimate land much faster because the thin airfoil. Now the Mamba love 3d fly slow and very nimble and quick, Not as percise as the Ultimate. The mamba will slow way down to land, and short field take off. But the Ultimate track like its on rails with speed. Like i said its up to you, My flying style is more 3d for me its the Mamba. How do you like to fly?
I consider myself an intermediate, recreational flyer. I fly a little bit of everything and would love to be a better 3D pilot as I gravitate more toward that style of flying.

I do love my Mamba 70, it does everything well and makes me appear to be a better pilot. Lands like a trainer and will do anything you ask. However, itís not composite and is starting to show its age... A composite Mamba, that would be the ticket...
Old 05-13-2021, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
944 Posts
My prior bipe was a Pitts Python, that was an awesome plane too. It unfortunately came to its demise with a broken power cable from a cold solder. Of course, for some reason, this dummy didn’t have the second battery pack plugged in!!

The Mamba was its replacement and I have enjoyed the heck out of it. Just looking to upgrade and I like the size of the Mamba 120 and the Krill Ultimate. Looked at the CARF offerings, very nice, but bigger and a lot more $$ for their bipe.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Burkert View Post
I wish somebody would design a nice wood/gas Ultimate ARF but it seems like it’s not in the cards.
These World Models Ultimates may not be the latest balsa ARF designs but I understand that they fly well

30cc

50cc

42%
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 05-13-2021, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by carrid02
Abilene, TX
Joined Jan 2006
1,343 Posts
I’ve flown the V1 krill and the H9 beast. Both with DA120’s. Not exactly the airframes you’re wanting opinions on, but pretty close.

The v1 krill is ultra smooth and refined. Airfoils are super thin but I don’t really notice it struggling to fly slow.

The beast is just everyday 3D fun. Nothing extremely precise about it so not the beat at IMAC but would be ok in basic or sportsman.

-Craig
carrid02 is online now Find More Posts by carrid02
Old 05-14-2021, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Mar 2015
628 Posts
Now what about parts for both? Flex is pretty good i have no idea about krill any more?
old nitroman is offline Find More Posts by old nitroman

Quick Reply