logo
Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Find More Posts by tom wheeler
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Apr 2006
1,708 Posts
Thanks Wayne, Curtis and Joe, as an old member of IAC Chapter 88 up here in Michigan it reminded me of the good times we use to have going to an IAC contest. I had to look up as to when there was a contest coming to our area and found out that on the weekend of July 8-9 there is one in Bay City MI. I have started to talk it up with some of my buddies into going. For those who have not been to a IAC contest, you owe it to yourself, it's great fun to see the similarities and minor differences between scale and full scale. And if you ask to help, they will take you right in, and you will get a great inside look on how they run a contest.
Thanks again,
Tom
tom wheeler is offline Find More Posts by tom wheeler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by jraycut
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
great write up guys, and thanks for taking time to report. i guess, its true in their world as well - you have 'pay to play', lol...they should have IAC classes for folks that can only afford to have ultralights (J/K, couldn't resist)
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Old 06-11-2017, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jraycut View Post
great write up guys, and thanks for taking time to report. i guess, its true in their world as well - you have 'pay to play', lol...they should have IAC classes for folks that can only afford to have ultralights (J/K, couldn't resist)
Well Joe... There was a slick and powerful Extra 330 flying in Sportsman, against the Pitts and a Van RV .... And we could definitely tell the difference in vertical penetration between them. AND there was no complaints OR limitations in the rules. So........ THERE!!! That was for all the complainers... not you.
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Old 06-11-2017, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by jraycut
Joined Jul 2009
744 Posts
Right on!! ��
jraycut is offline Find More Posts by jraycut
Old 06-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Wayne I am interested in the part you mentioned about the IAC gentalman contacting iMac about an even and being disappointed with the result... any details of that and why iMac would not jump on that? I would guess when it happened you were the president or just before you, I know you had quite a stint as president
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
Wayne I am interested in the part you mentioned about the IAC gentalman contacting iMac about an even and being disappointed with the result... any details of that and why iMac would not jump on that? I would guess when it happened you were the president or just before you, I know you had quite a stint as president
It actually happened just a few months ago, Matt. LONG AFTER my presidency.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmat7039 View Post
It actually happened just a few months ago, Matt. LONG AFTER my presidency.
oh the way you said it, seemed like it was some time ago... i am just wondering what could have happened to not get a good response... seems odd that is why i asked i know you would have jumped at it.. you did a lot of good promoting and that is what got me hooked... by the way my wife hates you... just joking of course
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers43 View Post
. seems odd that is why i asked i know you would have jumped at it.. you did a lot of good promoting and that is what got me hooked... by the way my wife hates you... just joking of course
Yes... I am ALL for being close to the IAC and had developed a close working relationship with them. There were a few mutual projects that were discussed and I wrote a detailed letter to them and gave a copy to the incoming BOD in 2015 for follow up action.

Yes... I fully understand about your wife.
Wayne
Old 06-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by JuStOnE
1988 IAC Unlimited Champion
United States, PA, Lumberville
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Nice write up Wayne! I'll edit with some other comments when I get to a keyboard.

Earle
JuStOnE is offline Find More Posts by JuStOnE
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 AM
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinryans View Post
Patty was not there flying. I don't know who was flying the plane though. Robert Armstrong was there. He is a former Unlimited Champion I believe. He was not competing . He did go up and do what they call "showing the low lines". They fly the lower limits of the aerobatic box for each class so that the judges can get a good reference for that. I would assume it's a zero or a big deduction if they fly lower. Anyways Robert Armstrong flew these lines for one class and did a small routine while he was up there. Amazing how precise he was.
When I was flying IAC there were two....well actually three....penalties for flying LOW. First was a call of "LOW", which had a point deduction from the pilots' raw score (points were based on category). A LOW call is made when the pilot is judged to be flying lower than the appropriate "floor" of that category's box.

Next was a LOW LOW call (again majority) where the pilot was WELL below the floor...ie... NO QUESTION about it! I've forgotten what the point penalty was for this one (it's been over 25 years).

The "third penalty" is the most severe......hitting the ground!!!

BTW - The first flight of any competitor is also a "qualification flight"....in that a pilot who, in the opinion of the judges clearly is in over their head (too high a category for their skill), or is exhibiting lack of control and flying in an unsafe manner can be disqualified from further flying at that contest. I've seen it happen more than once.

Quote:
Well Joe... There was a slick and powerful Extra 330 flying in Sportsman, against the Pitts and a Van RV .... And we could definitely tell the difference in vertical penetration between them. AND there was no complaints OR limitations in the rules. So........ THERE!!! That was for all the complainers... not you.
BINGO.....if you have the skills and the plane can do the maneuvers then go for it! I've seen a clipped-wing Cub pilot put a hurtin on Pitts and Extra pilots too many times. Kinda like a Big Stick vs Carden contest....lol

Wayne....on the pilot who flew close and a small footprint.....we always said if you flew well fly close so the judges could see it....if not move up and out. The actual box sets the footprint limit though, and there are only "OUT" penalties, no airspace control score. In unlimited most of the horizontal flight time passed very quickly when using the entire box. OUT penalties can be costly.....in the 1990 IAC Championship I incurred two OUT penalties in the unknown, costing me 60 points. I was 2nd, by 6 points, out of over 14,000 total points.

Ahhh.....the memories!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
WOW, Earle, that was a close race....UNTIL, you went out!

I have met several IAC pilots moving to IMAC after they decided to move on. And, I am sure we could garner even more if proper attention was paid to the variety of opportunities that exist for closer relationships.

At one stage, we (IAC/IMAC) discussed the possibility of "cross judging" at contests to probe how well it could work between both organizations. This was also tackled in my letter to the IAC. However, I have not seen/heard of any further developments. My Assistant Chief Judge at the 2014 IMAC World Championship was an accredited IAC judge....... so that gives you an idea of how much I respect their organization.
Wayne
Old 06-12-2017, 09:55 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
The actual box sets the footprint limit though, and there are only "OUT" penalties, no airspace control score.
This is true... but there was no one at the "back side" of the box....

and I noticed that there IS a presentation score added to each pilots score sheet.
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 06-12-2017, 10:00 AM
SILVER FOX
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post

and I noticed that there IS a presentation score added to each pilots score sheet.
what was explained to me was that each line judge, sat at the corners of the box......one sat at the rear and the other at the opposite front. In effect, each was judging two sides of the box at the same time. This is an efficient use of line judges.
Wayne
Old 06-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Joined Jul 2013
408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exeter_acres View Post

Ahhhh....new score for this Old Guy!
Quote:
what was explained to me was that each line judge, sat at the corners of the box......one sat at the rear and the other at the opposite front. In effect, each was judging two sides of the box at the same time. This is an efficient use of line judges.
Wayne
Yes....that's the usual setup.....two judges on on diagonal corners. The device they sit under is surveyed for proper orientation and vertical alignment of the two wires used as a sight. One judge can then look down two sides of the box. When a plane approaches the side they align their eye with the two wires and call an out if the entire aircraft crosses the line during that or subsequent maneuvers. The far corner line judging station was often out in the boonies!!!
Old 06-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor
United States, MS, Vicksburg
Joined Jan 2015
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuStOnE View Post
Ahhhh....new score for this Old Guy!

Yes....that's the usual setup.....two judges on on diagonal corners. The device they sit under is surveyed for proper orientation and vertical alignment of the two wires used as a sight. One judge can then look down two sides of the box. When a plane approaches the side they align their eye with the two wires and call an out if the entire aircraft crosses the line during that or subsequent maneuvers. The far corner line judging station was often out in the boonies!!!
Is there a diagram of that "wire" device that can be downloaded? I still think the idea of a "box" in IMAC has merit!!
Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by Dirt Doctor

Quick Reply