logo
Old 08-18-2020, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,093 Posts
The spinner diameter is usually determined by what matches the cowl on these planes. That needs to be measured. The cut-outs for the 2 bladed prop are determined by the prop you use. Dave Brown Products or Tru-Turn aluminum spinners will both hold up nicely to an electric starter. You will probably want a "Big Bird Cut" or "Menz Cut" depending on brand. That will allow the 19x8 to fit without having to modify the spinner cutouts, and should allow you to change to 20 x 6, 7, etc later one if you want to.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-18-2020, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by RingoVarr
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
The spinner diameter is usually determined by what matches the cowl on these planes. That needs to be measured. The cut-outs for the 2 bladed prop are determined by the prop you use. Dave Brown Products or Tru-Turn aluminum spinners will both hold up nicely to an electric starter. You will probably want a "Big Bird Cut" or "Menz Cut" depending on brand. That will allow the 19x8 to fit without having to modify the spinner cutouts, and should allow you to change to 20 x 6, 7, etc later one if you want to.
I'm in talks with the folks at Tru Turn, thanks!

In other news, the DLE and my LiFe packs arrived today. So it begins
RingoVarr is offline Find More Posts by RingoVarr
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
So I have a new problem. The openings on the AR8010T are too small/too tight for any of my Hitec servos/Spektrum branded LiFe packs. Some research indicates others have noticed this too. Is there any other way to resolve this, shaving the JST housing aside?
Last edited by RingoVarr; 09-03-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,093 Posts
I solved it by getting rid of my Spektrum DX18G2 and moving to other brands.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 06-20-2021, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by markcr
Joined Jun 2021
5 Posts
How Did This Build Go?

I’m bumping this thread from last year because I just ordered the same Seagul Edge 540 v2 airframe and was wondering how it turned out?
markcr is offline Find More Posts by markcr
Old 07-13-2021, 11:07 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markcr View Post
I’m bumping this thread from last year because I just ordered the same Seagul Edge 540 v2 airframe and was wondering how it turned out?
Hi there!

So, I'm sorry I'm replying late. As is often the case, life happens and the build slowed down. It doesn't help that as someone with a disability, I'm reliant on my grandfather for all builds!

The Seagull Edge is pretty much ready to go, but a few months ago I got a great deal on a RedWingRC Edge 540 V3 that, given my fears about weight, I decided to go for. The good news is, I've pretty much followed the same advice from this thread on the build. Same LiFe rx packs, DLE35R, Tech Aero IBEC, etc.

Tonight, we started the DLE for the first time and it seemed pretty stable after a quick trim for idle. Next comes leveling the elevators, and checking CG. To fly a bird this large, I need to become a member of the club with the largest field in my town.

Once I'm enrolled, it's time to fly, will keep you posted!
Old 07-24-2021, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by StockNik
Joined Jul 2021
2 Posts
Stock Seagull hardware ok?

If anyone has any experience building/flying a Seagull Edge 540 180 (I’ve put dle 30 in my build, currently in progress), I’m hesitating about the included pushrod and control horn hardware and whether I ought to be using alternative beefier gear to handle the plane being thrown about, or if it is perfectly suitable? Also, aluminium servo arms or beefy plastic ones ok? Thanks!
StockNik is offline Find More Posts by StockNik
Old 09-05-2021, 03:14 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
I know this is no longer the Seagull Edge that was discussed in this thread, but I wanted to give the kind folks that helped me here an update!

I maidened my Redwing Edge today. Well... my club buddy did the maiden. He helped us work through a few kinks, and then I took it up.

Flew wonderfully, and I'm so happy to report that it lands nothing like that old Extra that gave me so much trouble. I landed it comfortably my first attempt. I'm quite excited to get out and fly again.

Need to do just a little work, as the current spinner is rubbing on the cowling. Going to replace it with a Tru-Turn and also bring the engine just a touch further out on the nose to resolve it. Small things, though. It's coming back home in one piece. I'm happy.

Pic and a few short clips from my flight.
https://imgur.com/a/KSwfpDE

Quick Reply