Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 AM
Find More Posts by CDA Flyer
Trevor Young
Coeur d' Alene, ID
Joined Jun 2010
63 Posts
Help!
Pin-Flag w/ Turbo Reg Issues...

I am pretty much a newbie with giantscale (1yr), so any help to get me going in the right direction will be much appreciated. I have a couple issues.

Here is my setup in a 35% Aeroworks Extra 260:

Futaba 6014HS Rx
SF Pin&Flag Switch
SF Turbo Reg
Fromeco 2cells x2

First issue is that after setting everything up and getting a couple flights on the plane, I realized my fan on the Turbo Reg was not working. I purchased the Turbo used so I am unable to return it to a hobby shop or online seller. Is this a common failure with these? Is there any sort of warranty? and ultimately can I send this back in and get it fixed, and how much would that cost?

My second issue is that after my last flight (of the year due to winter) I noticed the red wire of my Pin&Flag switch was severed. My installation did not have any tight wires but I did have some wires zip-tied together (still with movement) Somehow this red wire broke due to vibration or ?????. I am 1.) curious to how I was still able to function with the switch 2.) should i solder this back or scrap the switch?

With my setup, would there be any advantage to going to another type of reg.. EQ or ??? Any suggestions for improving my setup and also fixing my issues?

Thank you in advance,

Trevor
CDA Flyer is offline Find More Posts by CDA Flyer
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-06-2010, 02:24 AM
Find More Posts by hughsey
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2010
742 Posts
Re: Pin-Flag w/ Turbo Reg Issues...

I did not think the turbo reg was able to be set up wiff a pin n' flag... might need to read da manual!!
hughsey is offline Find More Posts by hughsey
Old 12-06-2010, 02:36 AM
Find More Posts by Geojungle99
Down With the Sickness
Moreno Valley, Ca
Joined Jan 2006
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA Flyer View Post
I am pretty much a newbie with giantscale (1yr), so any help to get me going in the right direction will be much appreciated. I have a couple issues.

Here is my setup in a 35% Aeroworks Extra 260:

Futaba 6014HS Rx
SF Pin&Flag Switch
SF Turbo Reg
Fromeco 2cells x2

First issue is that after setting everything up and getting a couple flights on the plane, I realized my fan on the Turbo Reg was not working. I purchased the Turbo used so I am unable to return it to a hobby shop or online seller. Is this a common failure with these? Is there any sort of warranty? and ultimately can I send this back in and get it fixed, and how much would that cost?

My second issue is that after my last flight (of the year due to winter) I noticed the red wire of my Pin&Flag switch was severed. My installation did not have any tight wires but I did have some wires zip-tied together (still with movement) Somehow this red wire broke due to vibration or ?????. I am 1.) curious to how I was still able to function with the switch 2.) should i solder this back or scrap the switch?

With my setup, would there be any advantage to going to another type of reg.. EQ or ??? Any suggestions for improving my setup and also fixing my issues?

Thank you in advance,

Trevor
I'm not sure if the fan is supposed to run all of the time. I would shoot an email to SF and ask them because there may be nothing wrong with it. As far as the switch and the wire breaking, the switch is a "fail safe" switch. It is designed to fail in the ON position incase of an issue and that's why you were able to continue flying. Not sure if you are aware, but a fail safe switch is always drawing from the battery so if you don't fly much, you should disconnect the batteries and once you do experience a switch failure, the only way to turn it off is to disconnect the batteries.

As far as your set-up goes, I would say it's fine. I'm running a similar set up and have never had any problems. Smart Fly and Fromeco are quality items and they have proven to be very reliable. If you are confident you can repair the wire then go for it.
Geojungle99 is offline Find More Posts by Geojungle99
Last edited by Geojungle99; 12-06-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts

Quote:
This is not a common failure but it does happen occasionally for one reason or another (excessive dirt, vibration, etc). We can replace the fan, cost is typically $25-$30 depending on the version of the TurboReg, some are easier to replace than others.

Quote:
Red wire is unused on the failsafe switch, only the white and black wires are functional.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply