Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 PM
Find More Posts by huvaljohn
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Jun 2010
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidi View Post
Hello,

I am flying a 88" and a 104" Extra Electric.
The 88" has a Hacker Q80-7M a 10S 5000mAh battery and a 170Amp controller it cost the same like Gas with Pipes
The 104" has a Plettenberg PRedator 30/8 evo a 14S 8000mAh battery and a 220Amp controller and its more expensive than Gas but it has much more Power 77lbs thrust or 12KW (428w per pound)
On our Airfield we have 12/24V for the chargers and 3 Solar Panels.

Friedrich
Any video of that 104 in action?
huvaljohn is offline Find More Posts by huvaljohn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Find More Posts by Fidi
Germany, BY, Nord
Joined May 2014
24 Posts
Hello,

Not yet because it's winter

Friedrich
Fidi is offline Find More Posts by Fidi
Old 01-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Find More Posts by mchadwick63
They're all opinions!
Joined Nov 2009
368 Posts
I have gone all electric. Doing a build log on in this forum. The 76" Redwing Slick. This plane is perfect for electric. There is nothing to modify. Just bolt it up.
mchadwick63 is offline Find More Posts by mchadwick63
Old 01-09-2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Panther45
full time builder
Dadeville, Al
Joined Jul 2006
76 Posts
I am setting up a carden baby edge that had a da100. It has a hacker 150 with a spin pro 200 and it will run on 14s. I have lots of experience with these and they run just fine.

I too think it is a financial issue. I love a gasser and I like having the plus side of the electrics. As the cost migrates, I will be using more electric.
Panther45 is offline Find More Posts by Panther45
Old 01-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by slim jim
England
Joined Apr 2007
51 Posts
[QUOTE=Panther45;2226793]I am setting up a carden baby edge that had a da100. It has a hacker 150 with a spin pro 200 and it will run on 14s. I have lots of experience with these and they run just fine.

What prop size will you be using then ?
I have the same setup in a sebart Sukhoi 2.6m but 12s and its got loads of power
just wondered why 14s that's all
slim jim is offline Find More Posts by slim jim
Old 01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Nutball
United States, TN, Mt Juliet
Joined Jul 2014
326 Posts
He could be using the lower kv version: lower kv= more torque, more voltage= more torque. It's easier on the connectors with the lower amps, and higher voltage packs can be a easier way to get more flight time than adding more packs.
Nutball is offline Find More Posts by Nutball
Old 01-11-2015, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by chymas
"Those Guys"
United States, WA
Joined Dec 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post

So, what is your opinion? When do they get too big for electric power to be practical?
As soon as they are big enough to put a gas motor in.
chymas is offline Find More Posts by chymas
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM
Find More Posts by Panther45
full time builder
Dadeville, Al
Joined Jul 2006
76 Posts
I am setting up the carden with things that I have on hand. As you all know, the batteries are a large part of the cost when we are talking 4 to 6 lipo 5000mah batteries. I am using 14s because I have the batteries and that makes it easy. I am sure the 12s system would be just fine with this big motor.

The conversion is pretty simple and that is another factor is deciding to make the change. I added a fire wall with 2.5" standoffs and the motor lined up well with the cowl. The speed control went into the tunnel for the canisters so that it will get air. The batteries are just over 9 lbs -- Turnegy 7s 5000 mah and they will fit where the tank was. The added weight is very close to the CG and these planes tend to be tail heavy so I expect it will come out pretty well.

I have not looked at the prop question as yet. This will be an imac sort of plane and I will try different props to see what works best. This motor has impressive torque compared to the large EDF motors I work with every day. A big Scuuebeler fan will turn 30,000 rpm but is not designed to do torque like the prop motors are.
Panther45 is offline Find More Posts by Panther45
Old 04-06-2015, 06:51 AM
Find More Posts by Laxlife
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
So, what is your opinion? When do they get too big for electric power to be practical?[/QUOTE]
IMHO, There is no practical size limit any longer for electric powered model aircraft. Heck, they're testing 1:1 scale electric powered aircraft.
Laxlife is offline Find More Posts by Laxlife
Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Find More Posts by Edge_Pilot
Biplanes, Twice the fun!
Lagrange, Ohio United States
Joined Jun 2007
831 Posts
I'm pretty sure it just depends on how deep you pockets are. Some people see a 6S setup out of there price range, some thats standard lineup for there planes. I personally have had up to 50cc size electric, but that is a personal preferance. I have seen 150cc size electric perform really well. With the technology out there I don't see a limit.
Edge_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Edge_Pilot
Old 04-13-2015, 11:03 PM
Find More Posts by twowings74
Crash test pilot!
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
244 Posts
My bro and I are just finishing up a 1/3 scale clipped wing cub. Will post a video of how that flies. I think the charge times start to become a pain in the ... at the 50cc size. But that prop rip makes a plane sound more scale then a two stroke twin screaming. The other point of big electrics is you can fly them at clubs with tree hugging neighbors and strict noise limits.
twowings74 is offline Find More Posts by twowings74
Old 04-13-2015, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Look, I can hover a foamy!
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Dec 2006
365 Posts
At 50cc class, what sort of charge times do you consider a PITA? 15 minutes to charge a 12S/5000/60C pack isn't all that bad... Double them up on a para-board, and 4 flight packs can actually keep you flying and charging nonstop... 8 minute flight times per pack, 15 minutes to charge a pack or two... It usually takes longer than a minute to remove and hang fresh packs...

- Case
CanCanCase is offline Find More Posts by CanCanCase
Old 04-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by sjhanc
United States, FL, Williston
Joined Aug 2014
76 Posts
I have replaced my 12s 5300mah (2 6s packs) with 12s 2p 6600mah (6 4s 3300mah packs). I get more duration because the packs run cooler and can be recharged immediately. Each cell only sees 1/2 the current that the 12s 1p cells get and the plane uses less capacity for the same duration. Another advantage is lower cost for 6-4 cell packs ($200) compared to the 2-6 cell packs ($300). The 6s 5300mah packs are not stocked in large quantities by dealers so if a cell fails that whole 12s pack is done. Wiring 12s 2p is a chore but only has to be done once. I have one 4 pack charger and 2 older single pack charges so can fly about as often as when I only had gas. After a year of only electric I am reluctant to return to the air, gas, starter, routine necessary for a flight. I charge batteries the day before the event and can fly as often as I like.
sjhanc is offline Find More Posts by sjhanc
Old 06-22-2015, 10:47 AM
Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
South Pasadena, Florida
Joined Mar 2009
1,345 Posts
Until they are too big for this motor

eGull Joby 20 KW Electric Motor Test on Earthstar Ultralight Aircraft JOBY101-D2 (2 min 11 sec)
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
Last edited by Aeroplayin; 10-09-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 AM
Find More Posts by Laxlife
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Mar 2007
14 Posts
NASA has announced full scale tests of a full scale electric plane as the prototype of a short range commuter 60 seat electric plane. Size is no longer a limitation:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/nas...es-in-20-years
With size limits out of the way it is more about personal preferences and practicalities like vehicle size, budget and field size. I only fly electrics. My biggest plane is 30 pounds; 12s and plenty of power. 60-120 size is my perfect sweet spot. Flight times are less than 7 minutes but frankly I am toast at the end of those flights and need to rest my head. I don't want to fly for 10 or 20 minutes. And the silence of electric flight is golden. Our field is surrounded by deep woods in a nature preserve. Not a building in sight. Quiet electric flight allows one to enjoy their surroundings and absorb the day. I watch my fuel powered buddies and I don't think they have any more/less hassles than I do. Our aerial systems are time sponges no matter what is up front turning the prop.
Laxlife is offline Find More Posts by Laxlife

Quick Reply