Old 07-15-2019, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by Brian yak dude
Certified Bum
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Jul 2008
684 Posts
Discussion
126" Slick Long Shot....

So recently I acquired one of my dream planes after flying Hlozek's Slick at Joe Nall.

I got the plane RTF with a DA-170 on pipes. It's (as expected) demonstrating a very tail heavy flight characteristic. I have 2 5000mah packs on the firewall and the PO strapped 5 large lead weights to the motor box as well. These weights have to at least be a few pounds together. On top of this it has a weighted prop washer. Needless to say, it's got a TON of weight in the nose. The rudder servos are pull-pull.

The plane obviously is quite heavy with all this weight, but it flies relatively well. My question is this:

If I got rid of the pipes, would anyone expect the CG to come significantly forward? I've experienced in the past that adding a pipe throws the CG back, but to be honest the pipes don't seem to extend THAT far behind the tube. I would really like to get as much of this unnecessary weight out the nose and lighten the plane up and am thinking of going to stock exhaust or trading out for a GP-178 with stocks as well.

Has anyone ever had experience with pipes in the old 3DHS Slick?
Brian yak dude is offline Find More Posts by Brian yak dude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-15-2019, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by rarcdon
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Apr 2006
98 Posts
Brian - where do you fly in the Richmond area? I belong to several area clubs but mostly fly at Central VA RC in Amelia. If you haven’t been out there, please come out and fly with us sometime.

Several years ago I assembled two 40% Yaks with DA150’s for NASA Langley and was surprised to see they both needed right at 4lbs. of steel plate bolted to the motor box to balance. This was with stock mufflers. These airframes were equipped with 2-8711’s on each elevator half so there was a little extra weight back there.

Don
rarcdon is offline Find More Posts by rarcdon
Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by highonthai
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2014
352 Posts
Have you thought about going with a 4 cylinder with stock pipes?
highonthai is offline Find More Posts by highonthai
Old 07-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Brian yak dude
Certified Bum
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Jul 2008
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarcdon View Post
Brian - where do you fly in the Richmond area? I belong to several area clubs but mostly fly at Central VA RC in Amelia. If you haven’t been out there, please come out and fly with us sometime.

Several years ago I assembled two 40% Yaks with DA150’s for NASA Langley and was surprised to see they both needed right at 4lbs. of steel plate bolted to the motor box to balance. This was with stock mufflers. These airframes were equipped with 2-8711’s on each elevator half so there was a little extra weight back there.

Don
I’ve only flown in Fredericksburg so far as I’m brand new to the area. I’d love to come check out a new field. Right now though I have a small amount of damage in the tail of this bird that needs fixing and I’m just not sure if I want to try and tackle it. I’m really bummed to hear about needing 4lbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highonthai View Post
Have you thought about going with a 4 cylinder with stock pipes?
I have considered it, but hadn’t made a decision yet. I’m a big fan of GP so I was leaning towards that route, but I’ve thought about going for a 222. I’m having a harder time selling this 170 and pipes for what I figure it’s worth though.
Brian yak dude is offline Find More Posts by Brian yak dude

Quick Reply