Old 02-07-2020, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by Scott_Page
Taranis Evangelist
United States, WA, Benton City
Joined Aug 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnrusso View Post
Our voices should all be in unison that we will not comply.
I addressed compliance in my reply to the FAA. Here is what I said:

"Not having a mechanism to establish access to recreational flying reservations (FIRAS) for traditional modeling without RID into the future will invite noncompliance and certainly will make matters more chaotic for integrating model aircraft into the UAS. Simply put, most of the hobbyist Ive talked to about this issue simply said they will fly someplace regardless of what the rules are. These are almost universally mature men who are responsible law-abiding citizens and currently fly at a club field. Most Ive talked with made it clear that they will not abide capricious government overreach and will not stop flying; these are all responsible mature adults and senior citizens. More to the point the FAA should work to provide and support additional FRIAS in perpetuity so model aviation and all that it brings to our society including education and innovation can thrive in a controlled manner. "

I also said:

"FRIAS should be an ongoing method of allowing CBOs, municipalities, or land owners to define a reservation for recreational LOS aircraft which dont conform to the RID proposal. FRIAS should be defined as long term, as currently proposed, as well as temporary for events such as float flying on a nearby river or lake. Short term FRIAS for special events could be easily demarcated using a LAANC phone app like Airmap. "
Scott_Page is offline Find More Posts by Scott_Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-07-2020, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by jharkin
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2007
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Page View Post
These are almost universally mature men who are responsible law-abiding citizens and currently fly at a club field. Most Ive talked with made it clear that they will not abide capricious government overreach and will not stop flying; these are all responsible mature adults and senior citizens.

They cant be all that "mature and law abiding" if they are vowing open defiance of the law.

Dont forget FAA can and most likely IS reading these threads so you just gave them ammunition to call us a bunch of outlaws that needs to be controlled.

It may not be a big deal to you and your fiends but I cant take the risk of legal repercussions over an act of defiance. Even if not conflicted... any legal action against me could put my career in jeopardy - and my families livelihood with it: criminal background checks have become standard in my industry and are grounds for immediate dismissal for cause. (a.k.a. no severance, no unemployment benefits and good luck getting hired anywhere else)

Most of my friends, peers and colleagues are in the same situation.

Basically anyone with a white collar professional career and kids cant take such careless risks. Thats a big chunk of the hobby community.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 02-07-2020, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
United States, TX, Ben Wheeler
Joined Jan 2011
192 Posts
If or when remote ID comes to pass, does anyone have any idea what the equipment would look like, weigh and what it might cost? What information would it have to transmit beside an ID code?
B N Kontrol is offline Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
Old 02-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by B N Kontrol View Post
If or when remote ID comes to pass, does anyone have any idea what the equipment would look like, weigh and what it might cost? What information would it have to transmit beside an ID code?
From one of the many FAA websites: Identity, location and altitude would be transmitted.
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 02-08-2020, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
ATWATER,OHIO
Joined Aug 2007
37 Posts
"Hobbyists Got Screwed" Breaking Down The FAA Remote ID Proposal With Kenji Sugahara (53 min 12 sec)

Good video that explains alot
ohiobowhunter is offline Find More Posts by ohiobowhunter
Old 02-08-2020, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
United States, TX, Ben Wheeler
Joined Jan 2011
192 Posts
Good info! This video is a bit long for the hobby guy that is trying to figure out what is going on. The most important part, for me, starts very close to the end at about 43:40. But, the whole video is worth the time investment.
B N Kontrol is offline Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
Old 02-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
Somebody on RCG found Jim,s comment:

https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-1100-3969

We HAVE to do better than just copy/paste the AMA form letter. 3000+ copies of it when I clear he’d this morning. Means there are less than 6000 real unique comments and half of them are incoherent rants.

C’mon guys we have to get out the grassroots. I’m screaming to everyone who will listen in my club, on social media, I even poked the owners of some hobby companies.

Get on your Unicorn and ride your Rainbow to Fairytale Land.......it’s a vote it’s the numbers that count.......they don’t care about our toy airplanes and your personal opinion......it’s the numbers that matter.......and we are few in the scheme of things......so we that will continue to fly will be OUTLAWS !
Justwantafly is online now Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Last edited by Justwantafly; 02-08-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Scott_Page
Taranis Evangelist
United States, WA, Benton City
Joined Aug 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
They cant be all that "mature and law abiding" if they are vowing open defiance of the law.

Dont forget FAA can and most likely IS reading these threads so you just gave them ammunition to call us a bunch of outlaws that needs to be controlled.

It may not be a big deal to you and your fiends but I cant take the risk of legal repercussions over an act of defiance. Even if not conflicted... any legal action against me could put my career in jeopardy - and my families livelihood with it: criminal background checks have become standard in my industry and are grounds for immediate dismissal for cause. (a.k.a. no severance, no unemployment benefits and good luck getting hired anywhere else)

Basically anyone with a white collar professional career and kids cant take such careless risks. Thats a big chunk of the hobby community.
By mature, I mean most are retired and have no fear of repercussions at work. Many held security clearances and most were white collar workers. Whether they make good on their proclamations remains to be seen.

In the meantime I have reposted the masterful video made by Horizon Hobbies. Unfortunately they bowed to pressure from the FPV communities and deleted their video within hours of posting it. I reclaimed a copy from my phones cache to share.
Horizon Hobby get's it. (9 min 45 sec)
Scott_Page is offline Find More Posts by Scott_Page
Old 02-08-2020, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
5,019 Posts
Excellent video by Horizon. Why hasn't the AMA produced something like this and distributed a copy to every AMA member?
Truckracer is online now Find More Posts by Truckracer
Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 PM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
4,529 Posts
Excellent video and sound discussion of the effects of the proposed rules.

Now here's the hard truth from one of us who as full scale pilots and mechanics who are licensed by the FAA; once an NPRM is issued, they've already made up their minds what they are going to do. The only reason there is such a thing, is the Federal Rules requiring one. There is NOTHING to compel them to consider ANY outside input and they won't.

When it comes to airplanes and our models are airplanes just smaller that normally thought of, they do not give a d*mn what it will cost the people who these new rules affect. I't's not an approach they will even consider. Their ONLY consideration is making themselves look good to the higher ups for a promotion. Or for the Politicians to show that they are "doing something" about this terrorist threat.

Next is that while the FAA is really good at issuing new regs, Airworthiness Directives or AD's, they very rarely venture into the shop of any aviation enterprise to actually inspect what's going on and the quality of the work being performed. They sit in their offices and go over paperwork looking for errors there such as an improperly "worded" sign off which will get you fined.

Next consider that the majority of upper echelon FAA types are there because of how much brown material is on their noses. It's another egregious example of the "swamp" gone awry.

And the final thought which is exactly what the gun control nitwits seem to miss; are the terrorists seeking to use drones for an attack going to follow the FAA's rules???? lol

Just like they register their guns and illegal bomb making materials? The FAA also seeks to place the burden of enforcement on local Law Enforcement with no attempt to reimburse them of their costs.

Defiance? I hate that thought but let's consider that the folks running the FAA are very much like the Democrats in Virginia who are now well on their way to trying to void the 2nd Amendment.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Last edited by Zeeb; 02-08-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:07 AM
Find More Posts by crosswind
Never hover on an empty tank
Sacramento, California
Joined Nov 2009
490 Posts
Just curious, If I wear tool bags, would rather be in a ditch on a 100 degree day than an air conditioned office, own two homes in two different states, raised two wonderful children, have been married to my wife for 36 years, have a good chunk of $$ through my own investments, prefer jeans and a T-shirt, listen to country or old rock, like to camp and fish, have a garage full of airplanes, worked my a$$ off for everything I have, don't talk much and if common sense does not prevail will tell the FAA to go pound sand, what color is my collar?

I find the white collar, blue collar thing amusing.
What I have noticed is it's always the "white collar" worker screwing average citizens and when
they do, they could care less what color collar you wear. My 2 cents.
crosswind is online now Find More Posts by crosswind
Old 02-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Excellent video and sound discussion of the effects of the proposed rules.

Now here's the hard truth from one of us who as full scale pilots and mechanics who are licensed by the FAA; once an NPRM is issued, they've already made up their minds what they are going to do. The only reason there is such a thing, is the Federal Rules requiring one. There is NOTHING to compel them to consider ANY outside input and they won't.

When it comes to airplanes and our models are airplanes just smaller that normally thought of, they do not give a d*mn what it will cost the people who these new rules affect. I't's not an approach they will even consider. Their ONLY consideration is making themselves look good to the higher ups for a promotion. Or for the Politicians to show that they are "doing something" about this terrorist threat.

Next is that while the FAA is really good at issuing new regs, Airworthiness Directives or AD's, they very rarely venture into the shop of any aviation enterprise to actually inspect what's going on and the quality of the work being performed. They sit in their offices and go over paperwork looking for errors there such as an improperly "worded" sign off which will get you fined.

Next consider that the majority of upper echelon FAA types are there because of how much brown material is on their noses. It's another egregious example of the "swamp" gone awry.

And the final thought which is exactly what the gun control nitwits seem to miss; are the terrorists seeking to use drones for an attack going to follow the FAA's rules???? lol

Just like they register their guns and illegal bomb making materials? The FAA also seeks to place the burden of enforcement on local Law Enforcement with no attempt to reimburse them of their costs.

Defiance? I hate that thought but let's consider that the folks running the FAA are very much like the Democrats in Virginia who are now well on their way to trying to void the 2nd Amendment.
+1
Old 02-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswind View Post
Just curious, If I wear tool bags, would rather be in a ditch on a 100 degree day than an air conditioned office, own two homes in two different states, raised two wonderful children, have been married to my wife for 36 years, have a good chunk of $$ through my own investments, prefer jeans and a T-shirt, listen to country or old rock, like to camp and fish, have a garage full of airplanes, worked my a$$ off for everything I have, don't talk much and if common sense does not prevail will tell the FAA to go pound sand, what color is my collar?

I find the white collar, blue collar thing amusing.
What I have noticed is it's always the "white collar" worker screwing average citizens and when
they do, they could care less what color collar you wear. My 2 cents.
+1
Old 02-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by Taxiterror
Joined Feb 2020
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Any of you guys who are full scale pilots or mechanics already know that by the time the FAA issues an NPRM, they've already made up their minds what they're going to do. To repeat a somewhat famous movie line "We are the Borg, resistance is futile."
First off, I respect your opinion and your right to air it. Although I never flew full scale beyond AF Flight School and I have never dealt with FAA directly, in my line of work I have dealt with the IRS and other Bank regulatory agency, so I feel somewhat qualified to comment on your opinion. If we all take your view, then let's just let the FAA shove it up our butts. Not the right approach in my opinion. Almost all regulatory agencies act the same toward creating regulations. They use a shotgun to kill a mosquito. We have to educate them on what differentiates the hobby from their perceptions. It can be done. Case in point: Small business owner embroiled in IRS case where vendor scammed them and other small businesses to the tune of millions of dollars by failing to file and pay taxes due to the IRS. IRS swooped in and treated the business like the criminals by threatening them with liens, penalties, etc. even though all of them had remitted funds to the vendor to file and pay the appropriate tax. The group, as a whole, decided to fight the tactics and the result by using the U.S Congressman and Senator for their state and districts as well as the taxpayer advocates office of the IRS. Net result; IRS stopped harassment and started looking through the eyes of the victims who were already out millions of dollars. Result is scammer is going to jail and IRS is working with the victims to clear any tax liability. Don't tell us it can't be done, because it can. It will take everyone of us to make this regulation acceptable. Do we have to change; Yes! Do we have to accept change without appropriate due diligence, conversation and negotiation? NO! This is the type of issue that Senators and Reps love because it gives them an chance to look good to their constituents. So please, do not be so cynical and help all of us make are comments to the FAA. It can be modified to a workable solution and in my mind, at least, it will be. Please help.
Taxiterror is offline Find More Posts by Taxiterror
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,065 Posts
Quote:

Freedom is free! If you can't risk anything then you'll do what your overlords tell you and shut up about it.

I have certifications and a job at risk also. I will continue to fly as I fly now. In a safe manner. I will not put a transponder in any of my model aircraft.

The FAA isn't concerned with what we put in the comments section. They are paying as much attention to the guy types the f word over and over as your "thoughtful and coherent" comment
lxcoupe is online now Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Last edited by lxcoupe; 02-09-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply