logo
Old 02-14-2020, 07:36 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Quit the bickering please. Here are a few things to consider when writing your letter.

The FAA states that they are doing all of this in the name of "safety". lets look at that a moment.
1. Compressing all LOS model planes into a 400' ceiling vastly increases a chance for collision/injury/death
2. Much is learned by doing R/C and it enhances the abilities of those who will become full scale pilots, aviation mechanics, engineers, military and civilian drone construction and on and on
3. It may not wipe out R/C entirely but will likely limit us to foamies or cause us to be criminals.
4. When we review safety on all its levels, R/C is actually not the problem here. The problem is full scale airplanes crashing literally on a daily basis. Killing people on the ground like you and I.
Also killing pilots and passengers and causing destruction of property.
5. Future delivery drones,(Virginia already has some) will be flying into power lines, property and people as malfunctions predictably occur, causing injury and litigation on a large scale.
6. It doesn't seem that hard to me to make R/C flying sites off limits to full scale and delivery drones. Don't they avoid mountains and tall buildings etc? Avoid us as well.
Ironically, doesn't the FAA have it backwards? Letting piloted craft of all kinds fly right over our heads, at least in theory, seems more likely to kill people on the ground than R/C ever will.
I know some of this seems like hyperbole but again today, four people lost their lives flying in Gordon county. It happens every day in our country.....everyday! And as always, we had nothing to do with it.
super rookie is offline Find More Posts by super rookie
Last edited by super rookie; 02-14-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2020, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
FWIW, the 400-foot lateral limits only apply to the Limited RID sUAS. There is no information on what limits might apply at a FRIA.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
FWIW, the 400-foot lateral limits only apply to the Limited RID sUAS. There is no information on what limits might apply at a FRIA.
They do show the 400’ high cylinder under the FRIA listing. That would be a complete show stopper....this is one of the many problems with the FRIA. None of the supposed limitations are defined and are at the “discretion” of the administrator....what could go wrong there? What was once a large overfly area for your particular field could now be reduced to a postage stamp in the name of safety....
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 02-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
It’s not about Safety guys .......as a hobby we have an almost Impeccable Safety record......It’s all about SECURITY.
Justwantafly is online now Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjpilot View Post
They do show the 400’ high cylinder under the FRIA listing.
I missed that. I'll look again.

Odd since the FRIA is based on geographically defined limits requested in the application.

I have just looked again and the only reference to a 400-foot lateral limit is when referring to the Limiter RID option. Nothing in any of the FRIA discussion language mentions a 400-foot lateral limit.

I think you may be looking at this figure, but notice while it depicts a cylinder for a FRIA there is no mention of distances. The Limited RID option shows a 400-foot half sphere.
Last edited by Judge; 02-14-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by erjpilot
Quakertown, PA USA
Joined Jan 2006
717 Posts
Judge,
Yes, this was the image I was talking about. I thought for sure it had a 400’ altitude cap on it but it does not show that. My apologies. Still that cylinder representation is nowhere near what a large flying site would constitute.
erjpilot is offline Find More Posts by erjpilot
Old 02-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
I think that is a simplified image.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin K
WI
Joined Jun 2007
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjpilot View Post
Judge,
Yes, this was the image I was talking about. I thought for sure it had a 400’ altitude cap on it but it does not show that. My apologies. Still that cylinder representation is nowhere near what a large flying site would constitute.
What it represents is 3 individuals flying quad copters directly overhead. Surely that means something.

Quote:
I think that is a simplified image.
I think so too.
Kevin K is offline Find More Posts by Kevin K
Old 02-14-2020, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
United States, TX, Ben Wheeler
Joined Jan 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
That is very clearly stated in the NPRM. It is very disconcerting.
Judge,

I went to the FAA website and tried to locate the proposed rules on UAS operations, the complete version. I was not able to locate the document. Can you shed some light on how to see the entire document.
B N Kontrol is offline Find More Posts by B N Kontrol
Old 02-14-2020, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
Here you go:

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...rcraft-systems

https://www.faa.gov/uas/research_development/remote_id/
Old 02-14-2020, 08:10 PM
Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
United States, LA, Berwick
Joined Mar 2010
109 Posts
Quote:
I missed that. I'll look again.

Odd since the FRIA is based on geographically defined limits requested in the application.

I have just looked again and the only reference to a 400-foot lateral limit is when referring to the Limiter RID option. Nothing in any of the FRIA discussion language mentions a 400-foot lateral limit.

I think you may be looking at this figure, but notice while it depicts a cylinder for a FRIA there is no mention of distances. The Limited RID option shows a 400-foot half sphere.

This is true, but the FRIA are only good for a period of time (I think 3 years) then they go away? Also, isn't there a limited amount of time to register a FRIA location so you cannot start a new club or a new site after the registration period is over?
rcmigpilot is online now Find More Posts by rcmigpilot
Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmigpilot View Post
This is true, but the FRIA are only good for a period of time (I think 3 years) then they go away?

From the NPRM:

Quote:
D. Duration of an FAA-Recognized Identification Area

Under proposed § 89.225, the term of an FAA-recognized identification area would be 48 calendar months after the date the FAA approves the request for establishment of an FAA-recognized identification area.

A person wishing to renew the establishment of an FAA-recognized identification area would have to submit a request for renewal no later than 120 days before the expiration date. If a request for renewal is submitted after that time but prior to the expiration
date, the Administrator could choose not to consider the request. Requests for renewal submitted after the expiration date of the designation would not be considered by the Administrator.

E. Expiration and Termination

Unless renewed, an FAA-recognized identification area would be automatically cancelled as of the day immediately after its expiration date.
There is clearly a route to renewal for a FRIA. Although no new ones can be established after the initial 12-month period.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
This is what we are fighting......it’s all in the name of SECURITY
Old 02-15-2020, 12:08 AM
Joined Jan 2018
151 Posts
The old saying......you can’t see the Forest because of the Trees......it’s very hard to argue Security and reassure everyone will be Safe

Please remember Safety is not the same as Security .

Safety is the Building code so your home won’t Fall and Burn as fast........Security is the alarm system to let you know if someone is trying to break into you home and the Gun you have in the Bedside table.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:59 AM
Find More Posts by Balsadustt
Muncy,pa
Joined Oct 2006
128 Posts
The deep state will be coming after them too....

Sorry. I shouldn't have brought that up. But It does seem about control.
now back to fixed wing line of sight model flying.
Balsadustt is offline Find More Posts by Balsadustt

Quick Reply